NCsoft

Be The First To
Add Photos

NCsoft Chairman, President, and CEO Kim Tack Jin

Kim Tack Jin

Pros:
  • "It also had excellent work-life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "It's a great start in the game industry, and if they happen to make a game you love, it could be worth it to work there"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very corporate and tightly controlled by Korean HQ"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Management of the Seattle office was abysmal"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It is a great place to work with a lot of opportunities to learn about the MMO development industry.

Associate Producer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsFlexible hours, great team great work environment.

ConsThe commute could be shorter!

If only they didn't believe that pigs could fly..

Senior Management (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsAlmost free lunches. Some of the community.

ConsImmediate ''fire you now'' reaction. An itchy finger to redlight certain games that are not making the cut and currently that involves all Western influenced MMOs. I can tell you that even with knowledge of the business, finances, NDA disclosures, and how HQ runs it's still difficult to maintain an open connection with both my side and employees and theirs. Trying to get through to someone in Korea is like tapping a pencil on a manhole in New York during rush hour. You won't catch anyone's attention, and that's just the way it always has been. Honestly, being fluent in Korean doesn't much either as they detest foreigners with knowledge of their ''native'' tongue. Ridiculing our Office more than aiming to help.

For anyone who is interested all I can say is don't be. Move on to a Western owned and Western run Company.

NDA: NCSoft is going to be insourcing more so than outsourcing. You can expect the full shutdown of all NCSoft Western-Run/European Run Offices with in the next two years.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter your meltdown please do not attempt to re-open to the United States. Stay in Korea. Thanks.

Working at NCsoft, was the closest I'll ever come to leaving the video game industry.

Seattle, WA

ProsIf you're good at what you do, you'll be a rockstar, even if you work less than 40 hours a week.

Competitive salaries for minimal work

ConsLeadership in Korea does not trust America or Europe to make their own decisions, and as a result, the decisions made reflect what Korea leadership wants to see, and not what needs to happen for the benefit of players, or the business.

There is no clear career path, because the company is restructured every other year.

Having a good boss at NCsoft is like winning the lottery. Unfortunately, even if you win, your awesome boss will wise up or get laid off during your employment.

The only culture that exists, is what employees make for themselves; however, with so much turnover, office culture changes frequently, and is often more of an "inner-circle" kind of experience.

Benefits are not great. They are bare bones, and change a lot.

When I was working there, I had to pay hundreds of dollars per month for my own parking spot

Truly creative people are not treated well at NCsoft.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo leadership in Korea:

Get your hands out of the darn cookie jar and EMPOWER your employees. You've guaranteed the failure North America and Europe operations because of your bureaucratic, and unnecessary approach to a global business. What works in Korea, doesn't mean it will in other territories. Look at Riot Games for god sake. They empower their Korean HQ to make their own decisions, and they are frequently different than the ones made in America. While they flourish in multiple territories, you're only truly successful in Korea, and even there, you haven't lived up to your potential in years.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely poor management. The worst I have ever had in fact.

Operations (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsOther than it being a video game company. None really

ConsManagement! The US operations is always afraid of what HQ wants, so they make rash hiring decisions, especially bringing deadbeat directors that have been let go from other electronic studios.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to constantly change or micromanage. If you want to do it the HQ way then bring over HQ management. Bringing in washout from other electronic studios makes it much worse.

So if you have no choice or don't want to improve your skill

Developer (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsAs a developer, the team is pretty solid.
    The benefit is Okay, at least better than Amazon's health insurance.
    You can spend 2 hours a day at work... they don't care

Consthe management mess up.
    you can't learn anything here, not good fot career path.
    Korean never trust ppl here.
    no one knows whats going on.
    some "lead" like to play small game, to waste ppl's time
    ppl escaped a lot in past few months, lots of...

Advice to Senior Managementlet ppl know whats going on...
    better management
    too many management roles

If you have a choice, don't choose NCsoft

Management (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThere are some really bright and fun people working at NCsoft and the Seattle location is right in the middle of downtown.

ConsUnfortunately all the bright and fun people from NCsoft either left, were let go, or have the resumes out and are looking. As for the fun location, rumor has it that's going away soon too.

While it might still be a good place to work if you are in one of the studios, the Seattle and Austin offices are in complete turmoil. Don't bother trying to talk to HR, they are more of a mess than most of the other departments and most anyone there who had experience has already jumped ship. There is a huge disconnect between the Korean office, Seattle leadership, and most of the employees and mixed messages are the norm. If you have other opportunities, I wouldn't even answer NCsoft's call.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you only listen to the people who tell you what you want to hear you shouldn't be shocked with the general lack of performance and ever increasing turnover.

A bad thing that's getting worse

Austin, TX

ProsCasual atmosphere. Remodel of the Austin, TX offices.

ConsMany of the major groups in NCsoft West (Operations, Billing Software, Web Development) are experiencing downsizing while those jobs are being returned to Seoul. After 3 or 4 changes of senior management in 5 years, it seems as though the folks in Seoul HQ are done with almost everything to do with North America/European offices. I'm not sure I would even consider the folks that are not losing their jobs "lucky" in any aspect.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop think that you are fooling people by holding back information. Everyone knew the layoffs were coming. Everyone knew about the leadership transitions. Have more all-hands meetings like the old days, including P&L.

Stay Away

Seattle, WA

ProsSome good people work there.

ConsCircling the drain pretty quickly. Danger.

Organized chaos, consistently shifting leadership

Publishing Group (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsView of city. Not many people out to get one another, friendly culture. I have heard bonuses happen but yet to receive.

ConsLack of direction, constantly changing direction. Erratic and uninformed decision making. Huge accountability in some groups while none in others. Dissent between geographic locations resultos in feeling that nobody is really succeeding. Everyone is pretty much waiting for Guild Wars to ship and then they are out.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people, let them drive the business and manage up. You are there to keep it funded. If you are ineffective, leave.

Draining

Austin, TX

ProsPlenty of work to do

ConsTotal chaos in every direction

Worked for NCsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NCsoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NCsoft CEO Kim Tack Jin. All 56 reviews posted anonymously by NCsoft employees.