NEC Corporation of America

NEC Corporation of America Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

NEC Corporation of America President & CEO Shinsuke Takahashi

Shinsuke Takahashi

Pros:
  • "Flexibility, good people, reasonable hours, good benefits"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Comfortable work environment - very team oriented"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Japanese management turnover, little 'skin in the game' before rotated out"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Most of upper management is based in Japan which makes it difficult to explain the U"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The good and the bad

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGreat people and some really dedicated to doing a good job.

ConsLack of processes, lack of clearly identified responsible parties, many changes at the top, many changes in direction, corporate hides behind voicemail, treats the field like a customer they don't want to deal with, heavy in management.

The Worst of Time - No loyalty for the employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility, good people, reasonable hours, good benefits.

ConsPay attention to the actions of your managers and the way they treat others. Too much favoritism

Stressful job

Irving, TX

ProsGood pay- excellent benefits. The worker bees are really good people to work with- vacation time is above average to start and gets better every year of employment. Excellent severance package if you are employed for over 5 years.

ConsZero job security-high stress levels due to over working of certain groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain talent based on value of the work provided. Too often we see less educated people with lower salaries retained over higher paid but better qualified workers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Siloed Thinking that inhibits productivity

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsI was paid for a least 1 year to train others to replace me. Great Benefits. So much vacation time, there's no way to use it all.

ConsDirect sales competes with Channel. Each knows nothing about each other when the current competitive model is to sell product 90% through channel. 6 quarters of firings each quarter puts everyone on edge. Employees are constantly preparing on a quarterly basis to lose their jobs on the Direct side.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive Channel sales with direct team members. Get rid of the archaic ordering and accounting systems that require 4 people to touch one order. In this day and age of click to order, this complicated data entry for each sale is ridiculous.

Long time former employee

IT Manager (Former Employee)
    Roseville, CA

ProsFlexibility, good people, reasonable hours, good benefits. I was fortunate enough to have wonderful managers throughout my 15 year career there. I was given many opportunities to work in different positions and was allowed to work a reduced (30 hour) schedule my last 3 years there.

ConsNot much room for promotion, company earnings very unstable so constant threat of layoffs. Raises were rare as were bonuses.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThere is no cap on the amount of money you can make as a salesperson.

ConsThe telecom industry is mature and NEC has not re-invented itself. Recurrent layoffs has become more regular.

My experience at NEC

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people who take care of the customers.

ConsDifficult internal processes. No internal cohesion, teaming. All that is left to the individuals and if they are benevolent enough to help. Service personnel sticks together and helps one another. Others don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement of personnel who support customers understand the business. Doesn't seem like other management does. With all the layoffs when Sales doesn't make their numbers, everyone is swamped (+50 hours/week) because work is just handed to employees who are left. This doesn't foster a good culture.

Telecom Sales Pro

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery flat reporting structure, with freedom of action if you are meeting goals. Good general comp packages and excellent benefits, including support for those who get laid off.

ConsGoals and assignments often seem arbitrary, and as others mention there is little relationship between sales and marketing. Upward mobility is limited, particularly if you are not in the corporate office.

Channel is also a big problem, with a reliance on partners that are outdated and unwilling to sell new product in certain markets. Worst problem overall is a lack of branding coupled with a product development cycle that seems disconnected from future vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the field, and do a better job of understanding the movement of your key verticals. Get the word out, and don't let individual customers "drive the bus" on product. In short, stop flailing and create focus.

The Best Of Times...The Worst of Times

Field Operations - Management (Current Employee)

ProsThe autonomy and latitude to make decisions without endless approvals. The ability and technology to work from home or remote office, combined with a very good compensation package and a solid core of employees that care about the direction and success of the company.

ConsUnfocused product direction and bizzare sales strategy, particularly as related to the enterprise technology (telecommunications) division. This sometimes creates the square peg/round hole effect and leads to marketing efforts seemingly in direct competition with the NEC brand.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to be all things to all people; doing so only dilutes marketing, technical and development talent. Brand loyalty is based equally on relationships and a solid platform. Pay attention to the three letters on the building...NEC

Great Products, difficult sales environment.

Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBest products out there, always leading edge technology

ConsEngineering support is limited, corporate contract admin is "difficult" to work with.

Worked for NEC Corporation of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NEC Corporation of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NEC Corporation of America CEO Shinsuke Takahashi. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by NEC Corporation of America employees.