NEC Corporation of America

NEC Corporation of America Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

NEC Corporation of America President & CEO Shinsuke Takahashi

Shinsuke Takahashi

Pros:
  • "Flexibility, good people, reasonable hours, good benefits"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Comfortable work environment - very team oriented"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Japanese management turnover, little 'skin in the game' before rotated out"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Most of upper management is based in Japan which makes it difficult to explain the U"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Siloed Thinking that inhibits productivity

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsI was paid for a least 1 year to train others to replace me. Great Benefits. So much vacation time, there's no way to use it all.

ConsDirect sales competes with Channel. Each knows nothing about each other when the current competitive model is to sell product 90% through channel. 6 quarters of firings each quarter puts everyone on edge. Employees are constantly preparing on a quarterly basis to lose their jobs on the Direct side.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive Channel sales with direct team members. Get rid of the archaic ordering and accounting systems that require 4 people to touch one order. In this day and age of click to order, this complicated data entry for each sale is ridiculous.

Beware, No Direction and significant layoffs

Sales (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsHealth Benefits and Severance packages

ConsNon Japanese Executive management is only focused on themselves

nightmare

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsI was a virtual employee and did not have to slog away in an office daily. It was the right opportunity at the right time, although I never felt that as a division we were "firing on all 8 cylinders"

ConsVERY interesting working for pseudo American/Japanese management styles. In reality it appeared the US has no teeth and is a puppet for Japan. It always appeared to be the US was a "training ground" for under-qualified Asian employees to spend a couple years state-side then return to their homeland. While there were some really good people there, the majority of the time I felt surrounded by lazy incompetence (try getting a succinct straight answer from a product manager, or getting support to actually engage). After almost a year a new GM was appointed and his act of returning the division to anything close to profitability was to cut 80% of the sales and engineering force (revenue generating field folks, and in fairness many of those cuts were dead weight anyway), however they were never replaced - and they missed the mark with the remaining incompetence that seemed to be on sabbatical from Japan! After a year and a half of continual management berating I basically asked to be fired - wastn going to quit, FIRE ME. (That finally happened last year). Im quite sure Ill never be eligible as a re-hire though. I found my experience to be rocky and unsatisfying professionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, don't just hear them, listen.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very limited scope for personal growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExposure to Japanese culture and way of doing business

ConsWorst HR department, Management lacks clear sense of direction. US strategy dictated by Japanese parent

Not the place to be if you're looking for a future

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLike my immediate manager and co-workers

ConsJapanese management
    No North American strategy
    Constant cost cutting
    View employees as a necessary evil and they're working hard to change the 'necessary' part

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to Japan!

Talented and focused employees with under qualified mgmt

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHighly qualified and talented engineers with high quality deliverable products.
    Company has plenty of room for growth within most business units.

ConsRepeated failures by Japanese mgmt continues.
    With repeated failures good management would find the root cause instead of addressing symptoms such as something as simply as Director level resources lacking a college degrees or proper grammar and writing skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the qualifications and backgrounds of Directors. Survey resources under the management member to get a understanding of leadership and knowledge capabilities. NEC cannot afford to have management members placed into leadership positions who received position by politics or who instead of what they know.

The Worst of Time - No loyalty for the employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility, good people, reasonable hours, good benefits.

ConsPay attention to the actions of your managers and the way they treat others. Too much favoritism

Marketing & Business Development

Marketing & Business Development (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsFriendly work environment, good for minorities

ConsNon-organized team, no order from the top

Good for Supplies, Bad for projects. Definitely, not a winner player

Key Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Madrid (Spain)

Pros- Is a huge corporation
    - Brand well-known
    - Pretty innovative, but...

Cons- Zero ability to execute
    - Outside Japan, the people in the company are very confortable. It seems nobody cares about losing targets

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that the business is not equal in the rest of the world than in Japan. Be a more american-like company

Significant thrashing at upper levels of management

Sales Director (Former Employee)

ProsThe non-telephony business had been doing very well until 2012 but direction changes have had a significant impact.

ConsThe company seems to be willing to throw away significant opportunities in emerging IT markets to focus more on their core 'big iron' PBXs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to separate the company into "Phone" and "Non Phone", go ahead! If you want to keep one cohesive company, that's great! But please pick one or the other and stick with it for awhile!

Worked for NEC Corporation of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NEC Corporation of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NEC Corporation of America CEO Shinsuke Takahashi. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by NEC Corporation of America employees.