NEC Corporation of America

Updated August 27, 2014

3.5

NEC Corporation of America President & CEO Shinsuke Takahashi
Shinsuke Takahashi

Pros
  • Flexibility, good people, reasonable hours, good benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Company provides decent work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Japanese management turnover, little 'skin in the game' before rotated out (in 4 reviews)

• Most of upper management is based in Japan which makes it difficult to explain the U (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

NEC of America

I have been working at NEC Corporation of America full-time

Pros

Decent place to work, good work life balance. Career progression is slow with little career development or succession planning.

Cons

Lots of changes in management and strategy. Few people making all the decisions. Not sure where they are heading

Understand your people and promote people that can make a difference. Commit some hard dollars to investment and growth in the right area. Change focus from short term numbers to sustained growth in US market.

Great people, great facilities

I worked at NEC Corporation of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the diversity in this company! I had many Japanese, Korean, and Indian friends.
    The facility had a decent gym and great cafeteria with several healthy and not so healthy choices.
    There's a recently finished courtyard for walking, and plenty of space in the parking garage.
    Management was always looking for new improvement projects so there were numerous opportunities to build new skills. They had a large IT department, and I always got the feeling the company was focused on remaining cutting-edge, not reactionary.

Cons

While the US executive staff seemed focused and caring, I didn't get the same feeling about the management in Japan. It seemed they didn't always care what allowed the best synergy with their subsidiaries, and they didn't seem interested in changing to a more streamlined yet more insightful reporting tool. So there was a lot of extra work putting the same financial information into different fields and formats. This caused more than a few late nights for the reworks, but definitely not enough to make me want to leave. I would probably still work there if I didn't have to move.

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Technical Advisor  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Princeton, NJ

I worked at NEC Corporation of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits & competitive salary

Cons

Need to travel & no career growth

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall ok but would like to see more

I have been working at NEC Corporation of America

Pros

Many dedicated and hard working employees and the environment is nice. The benefits are nice and pay is close to market.

Cons

There is a lot of churn at all levels especially the worker bees and good hardworking people let go. Instead of process centric this place is person centric which defeats the whole outlook.

Please concentrate in retaining your biggest asset - true hardworking employees.

Lack of direction

I worked at NEC Corporation of America

Pros

Benefits are good. Company provides decent work environment. Products are quality and

Cons

Poor management/cronyism. Mandatory taking of vacation days. Can't schedule your own vacations very well based on this

The Worst of Time - No loyalty for the employee

I worked at NEC Corporation of America

Pros

Flexibility, good people, reasonable hours, good benefits.

Cons

Pay attention to the actions of your managers and the way they treat others. Too much favoritism

Siloed Thinking that inhibits productivity

Former Employee - Inside Sales  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Irving, TX

I worked at NEC Corporation of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was paid for a least 1 year to train others to replace me. Great Benefits. So much vacation time, there's no way to use it all.

Cons

Direct sales competes with Channel. Each knows nothing about each other when the current competitive model is to sell product 90% through channel. 6 quarters of firings each quarter puts everyone on edge. Employees are constantly preparing on a quarterly basis to lose their jobs on the Direct side.

Drive Channel sales with direct team members. Get rid of the archaic ordering and accounting systems that require 4 people to touch one order. In this day and age of click to order, this complicated data entry for each sale is ridiculous.

Stressful job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at NEC Corporation of America full-time

Pros

Good pay- excellent benefits. The worker bees are really good people to work with- vacation time is above average to start and gets better every year of employment. Excellent severance package if you are employed for over 5 years.

Cons

Zero job security-high stress levels due to over working of certain groups.

Retain talent based on value of the work provided. Too often we see less educated people with lower salaries retained over higher paid but better qualified workers.

The good and the bad

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at NEC Corporation of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people and some really dedicated to doing a good job.

Cons

Lack of processes, lack of clearly identified responsible parties, many changes at the top, many changes in direction, corporate hides behind voicemail, treats the field like a customer they don't want to deal with, heavy in management.

Long time former employee

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at NEC Corporation of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility, good people, reasonable hours, good benefits. I was fortunate enough to have wonderful managers throughout my 15 year career there. I was given many opportunities to work in different positions and was allowed to work a reduced (30 hour) schedule my last 3 years there.

Cons

Not much room for promotion, company earnings very unstable so constant threat of layoffs. Raises were rare as were bonuses.

Worked for NEC Corporation of America? Contribute to the Community!