NEPC

Richard M. Charlton

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great internship experience.

Intern (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe overall work environment and treatment of their employees was the best reason for working at NEPC. They truely cared about their employee satisfaction.

ConsOverall the work was unexiting and uninvolving. It is not as fast paced industry as the rest of the financial world. There is also little room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management would be to have more trust in employee knowledge and capabilities. If this was more the case, I think the overall company would benefit from more innovation.

Focus on providing great investment advice to our clients. The client always comes first.

Consultant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsPeople really care and they want to do the best job for clients. You can be recognized for your contributions and promoted from analyst to consultant.

ConsPAs burn-out and turnover. Not sure senior managmement has a vision for the future. Its tougher to grow now and we have not been able to pay people the same as before. You get different answers to questions when you ask different people running the company or even my team leader vs. another team leader. Not sure everyone's on the same page.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear goals and let everyone know what they are and what we are trying to do. We can't be everything. Also, maybe we should think about selling to someone bigger with deeper pockets.

Great opportunities if you are a strong performer .

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat place to learn - very smart people, who are passionate about what they do
    Growth and advancement opportunities for strong performers
    Management cares - they listen to feedback and try to work to make changes
    Great benefits
    Well respected in the industry

ConsExpectations are very high - can be last minute requests with tight deadlines or changes at last minute - both can lead to long hours. Really depends on your manager. Is not that way for me personally.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Segmented work environment, competitive, individualistic, provides an opportunity to learn.

Portfolio Analyst (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat opportunity to learn
    Exposure to investment professionals internal and external
    Limited supervision, freedom to prioritize as you see fit

ConsLimited opportunity for growth
    Satisfaction depends on where you are in the hierarchy
    No real sense of a team environment

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a sustainable evaluation system of analyst performance, same goes for the advancement opportunities. Provide a clear frame work and support to analysts, and reduce subjectivity and the amount of supervisors per each analyst

Good learning environment, but lacks communication

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe majority of employees are concerned with furthering their education. Some just want to earn a designation to get promoted or get a raise. Others are genuinely interested in knowledge, which creates a very motivating and inspiring atmosphere.

ConsThere seems to be some inefficiencies in communication between departments. This creates some divisions between employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to concentrate on integrating work between consultants and researchers. It seems that currently their is too much separation, leading to miscommunications.

dont go here

Performace Analyst (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prosgood place to start then leave after a year

Consno oppertunity within
    low pay
    long hours

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better

Look elsewhere

Performance Analyst (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsVery basic entry level job after about 6months the learning levels off, after a year you will want to leave for better opportunities

ConsThere is very little respect for a performance analyst at NEPC. The CSA's, Consultants, Partners, even the group management has no respect for the low level employees. This is not a place anyone with a college education would want to work, especially in the performance analyst role. The Company is content in letting there be high turnover and they do not promote within (unless you are female) the management is very bias almost to a point of it becoming a legality issue. The performance analyst job is not really analyzing it is data entry and learning how to use slow often non-working systems. You would be better off not working or working as a fund accountant than going here. Things have gotten worse since leaving this Company (even though i did not think that was possible).

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to restructure management at the PA level, you need to change the leadership and promote from PA to CSA. Until you can do this you will lose some of the smartest young people I have worked with to other companies.

Okay Job

Performance Analyst (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsOkay pay, okay benefits, okay upper managment

ConsWork is boring. No where to go in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat do you guys do?

NEPC

Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prosgain valuable knowledge about all aspects of asset management industry
    exposure to a lot of investment managers
    half day fridays in the summer

Conshard to move up from certain groups
    not much respect to junior level employees
    benefits are not competitive (no 401k match, 2 weeks vacation for first 3 years, profit sharing with 6 year vesting period)

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more in the junior level employees

Worked for NEPC? Contribute to the Community!