NETGEAR

Be The First To
Add Photos

NETGEAR Chairman and CEO Patrick C.S. Lo

Patrick C.S. Lo

Pros
  • Opportunity to learn about all aspects of the industry(in 4 reviews)

• Great visibility into the guts of the business - can learn a lot about processes & infrastructure(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • After 18 months I approached my management to ask for some work life balance consideration(in 5 reviews)

• Not much R&D opportunity, preferece given to certain ethenic backgrounds(in 3 reviews)

More of a grocery store than a technology company.

Senior Engineering Product Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIf you don't have any options

ConsI can compare this company to a department of a Best Buy or Fry’s in the sense that all its imagination goes into displaying a product on the shelves and trying to sell it during long hours of operation. Not only does this company lack innovation, creativity, and even curiosity but it also seems to consciously work against these notions and severely undervalues each aspect. It leads to people avoiding talking about their own products and how they can and should be improved.
    Management is very unprofessional. Its primitive nature is displayed by the CEO, who acts as if he own the people as well as the company. Lower management is no better; they lack any basic knowledge about administration. A worker can do their best work and still go without positive reinforcement, let alone a simple thank you.
    Politics surrounds promotion rather than having it be merit-based. Performance is thusly disregarded. I have seen first-hand a pattern made of people who have made severe errors be promptly promoted to a higher jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain mangement by getting help from professional in management.

meh.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBrand focus and outlook were encouraging.

Consat the bottom you get the sense that you're expendable.

depends on what you want

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosyou get to know how to build an entire product

Conshardware focused and heavily outsourced. Not a good place for engineers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Senior Management, little to no respect for employees or suppliers.

(Former Employee)

ProsAbove-average compensation. Opportunity to interact with and learn from people from different parts of the organization.

ConsManagement does not appreciate employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement too short-term oriented, always only looking at the next quarter.

Very disappointed with acquisition

Engineer Technician (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsIt was close to my home and had flexible hours.

ConsIt was a big downgrade from the company they acquisitioned from. The benefits were not very good and the pay was excessively low.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to openly communicate and train your employees so they can grow within the company. Offer better compensation packages.

Worst job Ive had

Operations (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsHmmm...people have heard of them.

ConsInsane workload, terrible communication and rude fellow employees. No one seems to really get along and I challenge any current employee to say different.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be respect from the top down. You may feel like you can look down on your subordinates but to talk down and belittle is wrong.

Not so pleasant!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI can't think of any pros.

ConsHope you like to work and never have a life. No communication. No work/life balance.

No Work Life Balance

Pros+ I learned a lot
    + Easy Access to VPs & Executive Office

Cons- Work hours were from 7am - 9/10pm, including some holidays and some weekend work. After 18 months I approached my management to ask for some work life balance consideration. They said there was 'no opportunity for reducing the work hours' and in fact our team was to be doing 20-30% more the following year with the same resources. Around the same time I was offered a position with less pay but better work hours. I left NETGEAR - Money can't buy time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep hard working, smart people please consider they have lives outside of work

Unique place to develop one's career in a dynamic way

Finance (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsNetgear is a unique place where you can develop your career in a dynamic fashion that fits with your individual interests. Lots of opportunity to work across department lines and take on new roles/responsibilities. Definitely a place where you can learn a lot.

Any employee can have a large impact on the organization, despite it being a global company. This makes for a satisfying work experience.

Salaries are competitive or better than average. Performance is rewarded.

ConsEmployees need to be able to manage themselves (not for everyone).

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is pretty solid. The organization is "flat", so upper management tends to be very visible. I've found them to be very approachable. I'd encourage them to maintain this as the company grows.

Good times, low pay though

ProsCompany culture driven by CEO

ConsLow pay compared to peer companies

Advice to Senior ManagementPay folks at market will help get talent

Worked for NETGEAR? Contribute to the Community!