NEXON Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
2.8

Seung Woo Choi
1 Rating

Pros
  • A basketball court at the office (in 6 reviews)

• Great people with good energy and willingness to be the best (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was not a consideration (in 6 reviews)

• No room for growth in the company unless outstanding (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, great games.

Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leading free to play gaming company - you can learn a lot about running game as a service.
    Great experience learning more about other regions - especially Asia.

Cons

Work life balance... also, there was lack of leadership. It was hard to tell where we were heading to...

Overall a "good" experience at Nexon America.

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a casual atmosphere. Great gym in the building next door. Quite a few team outings that are fun and to cool places.

Cons

I found it difficult to climb the ladder at Nexon. It seemed as if you were at least making it seem like you were busy, staying late as much as possible (even though there may not be anything pressing to handle), etc., that was seen as productive and a way to look good in the eyes of upper management. I saw micro managers move right up and it seemed to be due to their overall apparent stress level, willingness to constantly work late (needed or not) that made them appear to be steering things in the right direction. Then there were other employees who quietly got things done in a much more efficient manner and didn't need to work late five days a week that got pushed aside.

The only complaint I ever have with Nexon is that there seems to be a great deal of emphasis on working long hours as if that is always the way to go. I've seen QA forced to stay late multiple times even though they were absolutely not a necessity. Paying overtime to employees has to be a huge cost to the company and it always seemed over the top. Producers constantly stay late and other team members feel they need to hang around too, if only to appear to be a team player when it may not be productive for the game team or the company as a whole to do so. This majorly disrupts the concept of work/life balance within game teams and the company as a whole. Suddenly just being present past normal working hours was an indicator of a good employee, which is not a good thing at all.

Great Company bad pay for Customer support

I have been working at NEXON

Pros

Fun enviorment and the people and supervisiors are great

Cons

No room for growth from customer support. low pay

Have career development options

Hard to work for

Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lunch breaks, benefits, the usual.

They also have a nice break area. The view is great. If anything, this made working for the company tolerable.

Cons

The employees know nothing about their game, and purposefully neglect the playerbase. This is terrible practice, and I truly hope that they rectify it in the future. Most of the time, the employees run around in confusion. Especially during regular game maintenance. It is truly pathetic and I am glad to have escaped their clutches.

Get good.

Avoid while you can. Waste of your time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Free lunch twice a week.
    * Okay benefits.

Cons

* Poor Executive/Senior/Mid level management.
    * Poor work culture
    * Very low pay
    * Poor Work/Life Balance

Claiming yourself as an American company. Do not go back and forth between Korean/American company at your convenience. Go to your office and see how many people work late hours. That means you need to hire more people.

Localization Project Manager

I worked at NEXON

Pros

Gained global experience with renowned publisher over the world.
    Leaned how to work well in dynamic and multifaceted setting.

Cons

Low salary against huge revenue.
    No overtime work allowance.

Big things ahead

Current Employee - Interaction Designer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Interaction Designer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time

Pros

I've worked in the creative department at Nexon for 10 months and have seen a change in Sr. Management (Director level over creative, Marketing and Customer Service groups) and some restructure. Some people left, some people were asked to leave and some new faces came on board. Overall the place has improved a ton since the end of 2014.

Pros: I genuinely like all of the people I work with and have laughed every single day since I started in July 2013.
    Management seems to be getting closer to a unified vision and seems to be making strides in driving the business in the right direction. I believe Nexon is positioned to be big in the industry in the next few years.

I've had a lot of freedom and autonomy to drive the changes I believe are best. This works if you don't like to be micromanaged and can rise to the challenge of driving results yourself.

I know some departments have a problem with long hours but I've only put in a handful of late nights here while big projects are getting ready to ship. I think the work/life balance is fair and competitive.

1 paid off between christmas and new years is awesome.

Cons

The departments need to learn to work better together (See a comment a few down that says "interference by less important departments" wtf? You think LGP is the only important department?)

There are still a good amount of people who say "But that's not the way we've done it in the past." Gotta lose that, super frustrating.

A lot of bad opinions of Nexon on the web (and rightly so, lots of bad policies in the past at the expense of gamers.)

Invest in more UX experts and continue on your path to be a user-centered company.

Make sure all levels of the company have the resources they need to take the products into the future.

Sometimes I really enjoyed Nexon! Most times I sighed and dealt with it.

Former Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I haven't worked at Nexon in awhile, but while I was there:
    1. Backing of the well funded Asian arm ensured the company wasn't shutting down overnight. That counts as a blessing these days.
    2. Effort to be create a full fledged publishing operation created new units and focused on improving many aspects of current operations.
    3. Like-minded, passionate people who you bond with because you are going through a traumatic experience together and spending more time with than your significant other.

Cons

1. Pay was mediocre
    2. Work/life balance was not a consideration. If work to be done, it needs to be done.
    3. The import of employees from Korea plus hiring of locals caused a fissure in the org that really wasn't justified. Nexon is tough on everyone equally.
    4. Leadership lacked experience in running a company.

Many Korean companies have opened US offices and ended up shutting them down. You guys are winning the marathon. That's a rare accomplishment.

Definitely interesting, maybe in a bad way.

I worked at NEXON full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to get your foot in the door, this is the place for you. They're desperate to take anybody. To their credit, they are one of the more prominent Korean publishers.

Cons

Politics. They push people out, place incompetent people in management, and promote the unworthy. It's a farce. Incompetent developers coupled with incompetent top management means disaster. Oh yeah, they tend to pay Koreans less than non-Koreans, so watch out.

Good luck!

This place is an investment for your future career opportunities, not to grow financially

I have been working at NEXON full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The wealth of responsibilities and workload gives employees the opportunity to get their hands on a lot of learning opportunities. Problem solving, collaboration, and overall accumulation of knowledge and information will make your next career hop a breeze.

Cons

Underpaid, way too many managers/executives who hire their own friends, high turn-over rate, far too few workers, long hours, less company perks year over year

NEXON Photos

Overview of Nexon Korea HQ
Lobby on 1st floor.
Lounge. There are every floors.

+ Add Photo