NEXON

NEXON Reviews

Updated May 17, 2014

Not yet rated.

Seung Woo Choi

Pros
  • A basketball court at the office(in 6 reviews)

• Great people with good energy and willingness to be the best(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was not a consideration(in 4 reviews)

• Long hours no work life balance(in 4 reviews)

Localization Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGained global experience with renowned publisher over the world.
    Leaned how to work well in dynamic and multifaceted setting.

ConsLow salary against huge revenue.
    No overtime work allowance.

Big things ahead

Interaction Designer (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsI've worked in the creative department at Nexon for 10 months and have seen a change in Sr. Management (Director level over creative, Marketing and Customer Service groups) and some restructure. Some people left, some people were asked to leave and some new faces came on board. Overall the place has improved a ton since the end of 2014.

Pros: I genuinely like all of the people I work with and have laughed every single day since I started in July 2013.
    Management seems to be getting closer to a unified vision and seems to be making strides in driving the business in the right direction. I believe Nexon is positioned to be big in the industry in the next few years.

I've had a lot of freedom and autonomy to drive the changes I believe are best. This works if you don't like to be micromanaged and can rise to the challenge of driving results yourself.

I know some departments have a problem with long hours but I've only put in a handful of late nights here while big projects are getting ready to ship. I think the work/life balance is fair and competitive.

1 paid off between christmas and new years is awesome.

ConsThe departments need to learn to work better together (See a comment a few down that says "interference by less important departments" wtf? You think LGP is the only important department?)

There are still a good amount of people who say "But that's not the way we've done it in the past." Gotta lose that, super frustrating.

A lot of bad opinions of Nexon on the web (and rightly so, lots of bad policies in the past at the expense of gamers.)

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in more UX experts and continue on your path to be a user-centered company.

Make sure all levels of the company have the resources they need to take the products into the future.

Sometimes I really enjoyed Nexon! Most times I sighed and dealt with it.

Manager (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsI haven't worked at Nexon in awhile, but while I was there:
    1. Backing of the well funded Asian arm ensured the company wasn't shutting down overnight. That counts as a blessing these days.
    2. Effort to be create a full fledged publishing operation created new units and focused on improving many aspects of current operations.
    3. Like-minded, passionate people who you bond with because you are going through a traumatic experience together and spending more time with than your significant other.

Cons1. Pay was mediocre
    2. Work/life balance was not a consideration. If work to be done, it needs to be done.
    3. The import of employees from Korea plus hiring of locals caused a fissure in the org that really wasn't justified. Nexon is tough on everyone equally.
    4. Leadership lacked experience in running a company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany Korean companies have opened US offices and ended up shutting them down. You guys are winning the marathon. That's a rare accomplishment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Definitely interesting, maybe in a bad way.

(Former Employee)

ProsIf you want to get your foot in the door, this is the place for you. They're desperate to take anybody. To their credit, they are one of the more prominent Korean publishers.

ConsPolitics. They push people out, place incompetent people in management, and promote the unworthy. It's a farce. Incompetent developers coupled with incompetent top management means disaster. Oh yeah, they tend to pay Koreans less than non-Koreans, so watch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck!

This place is an investment for your future career opportunities, not to grow financially

ProsThe wealth of responsibilities and workload gives employees the opportunity to get their hands on a lot of learning opportunities. Problem solving, collaboration, and overall accumulation of knowledge and information will make your next career hop a breeze.

ConsUnderpaid, way too many managers/executives who hire their own friends, high turn-over rate, far too few workers, long hours, less company perks year over year

Place to see ideas but company needs to grow.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsSome ok to work with people, free food.

ConsBig egos and very long hard hours to work

Advice to Senior ManagementTo many management and keep changing focus, need to understand more.

Not as bad as the ratings say.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat people to work with. Executive team is trying to get the company on the right track.

ConsSalary is way below market rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your salaries so they are fair market rate.

Stay away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOffice building looks nice, close to LAX, parking situation seems to be okay. Surrounding area has pretty fine restaurants if you're a drive-out-for-lunch kind.
    Easy to get hired, if you don't mind low salary, temporary position.

ConsLow morale in general.
    Benefits are less than industry average.
    In office vending machine is really expensive.
    A LOT of politics.
    Lack of employee ownership.
    People refusing to take responsibility unless they are execs.
    Promotion, hiring not clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring a bunch of executive level people won't help.

Being young is good when the company is in a good condition, but..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEverybody is young. Being young is a good thing!

ConsBecause people are young, when company's situation started getting worse financially, it becomes difficult for young team to come up with solution to fix it.

Great!

ProsStart-up feel. Great people with good energy and willingness to be the best.

ConsThings tend to move a bit slow in terms of processes.

Worked for NEXON? Contribute to the Community!