NEXON

NEXON Reviews

Updated May 17, 2014

Not yet rated.

Seung Woo Choi

Pros:
  • "A basketball court at the office"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great people with good energy and willingness to be the best"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance was not a consideration"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Long hours no work life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great!

ProsStart-up feel. Great people with good energy and willingness to be the best.

ConsThings tend to move a bit slow in terms of processes.

Great, with a couple drawbacks

Administrative (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsDecent hours, great benefits, Close-knit teams.

ConsUnappreciative little kids demanding everything on a silver platter that are never pleased no matter what we do.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefit and relatively high pay

ConsSmall name value comparing to other companies
    It was not stable for people to work there when big portion of people were lay off

Advice to Senior ManagementIt will be better to provide job stability to all the employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nexon is a really great company to work for.

Programmer (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGreat work environment.
    People are great.
    You get to meet many talented individuals.
    Profit sharing options which motivates you to increase your performance at work.
    Employees get to express their ideas freely without any fear of being ridiculed or rejected because every ideas are great even though some of them might not be suitable for the company.
    Every developer will get a chance to attend the developer conference every year which is great.
    Great health benefits.
    Management is cooperative and supportive.
    Work on a small productive team.
    The office is nice and comfortable.
    Free coffees and teas.
    Access to the gym.

ConsThe job compensation is well on average within the industry.
    Because the number of people is small, there are fewer chances to build your network or to meet new people.
    Sometimes during the crunch time or before delivery you will have to do some overtime work without any overtime pay.
    They do not offer any stock options because it is a private company.
    There are no retirement saving plans.
    There are no foods or snacks provided.
    There are no educational or self enhancement programs to support you in career advancement.
    The bonus and benefits given is below average within the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are really great because they listen to what the developers have to say and more importantly they actually do believe in what they say.

Localization Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGained global experience with renowned publisher over the world.
    Leaned how to work well in dynamic and multifaceted setting.

ConsLow salary against huge revenue.
    No overtime work allowance.

Big things ahead

Interaction Designer (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsI've worked in the creative department at Nexon for 10 months and have seen a change in Sr. Management (Director level over creative, Marketing and Customer Service groups) and some restructure. Some people left, some people were asked to leave and some new faces came on board. Overall the place has improved a ton since the end of 2014.

Pros: I genuinely like all of the people I work with and have laughed every single day since I started in July 2013.
    Management seems to be getting closer to a unified vision and seems to be making strides in driving the business in the right direction. I believe Nexon is positioned to be big in the industry in the next few years.

I've had a lot of freedom and autonomy to drive the changes I believe are best. This works if you don't like to be micromanaged and can rise to the challenge of driving results yourself.

I know some departments have a problem with long hours but I've only put in a handful of late nights here while big projects are getting ready to ship. I think the work/life balance is fair and competitive.

1 paid off between christmas and new years is awesome.

ConsThe departments need to learn to work better together (See a comment a few down that says "interference by less important departments" wtf? You think LGP is the only important department?)

There are still a good amount of people who say "But that's not the way we've done it in the past." Gotta lose that, super frustrating.

A lot of bad opinions of Nexon on the web (and rightly so, lots of bad policies in the past at the expense of gamers.)

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in more UX experts and continue on your path to be a user-centered company.

Make sure all levels of the company have the resources they need to take the products into the future.

Well

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Seoul (South Korea)

ProsThe company is getting lots of money. Financially stable.

ConsEven it has a lot of money, you can not expect any incentive. The company has a history of firing many employees even it had grown up more than 30 percentage comparing to the previous year.

Great international environment, but quite "corporate".

ProsInternational working environment, intelligent people, large exposure to top people in the industry, huge financing capital through IPO to sustain aggressive M&A

Conslow salary, few employee perks, rigid organization, working hours are not flexible

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary-level is not competitive compared to peers, vision can be expanded a bit more outside of core games industry

Assistant Producer/Production Coordinator (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsWork with great people.
    Managers/Team Leads are always willing to share their knowledge.
    Friendly work environment.

ConsBit of a drive if not in the area. TRAFFIC

Nexon is changing and I'm ready for it - Riding the wave

El Segundo, CA

ProsNexon is changing and some people just can't handle it. They want to hang on to the past, can't admit that Nexon is a business and think that they all need to be taken care of. This company and it's executive seem to be doing everything they can to bounce back from some normal down turns (just like Activision, THQ, EA, RockStar and many others) but somehow because it's Nexon - the sky is falling.
    Nothing they are doing is any different that anyother company going through similar situations, they talk about it to employees, they rescructure, they regroup and they are doing everything they can. It's a reality and I believe in them and their plans for how to make our future brighter.
    They are good hearted people, doing the best they can, with the cirmstances they have. the're LOTS of motivated, happy excited people here wanteing to jump in and turn the company around - not everyone has a foot out the door !
    Success will be our best revenge !

Consit's a tough time and change is hard.
    Trying to keep away from the negativity and staying positive is hard but hopefully the people who can't see the light will find a new home and take their negativitiy with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHang in there, don't give up and think that we are all critical - lots of us are really with you and we believe in what is happening. New blood is here and we'll help swing the pendulum in the right direction - toward a new day !

Worked for NEXON? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NEXON reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NEXON CEO Seung Woo Choi. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by NEXON employees.