NEXON Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

2.8

Seung Woo Choi
1 Rating

Pros
  • A basketball court at the office (in 6 reviews)

• Great people with good energy and willingness to be the best (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was not a consideration (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours no work life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!

I have been working at NEXON

Pros

Start-up feel. Great people with good energy and willingness to be the best.

Cons

Things tend to move a bit slow in terms of processes.

Great, with a couple drawbacks

Current Employee - Administrative  in  El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent hours, great benefits, Close-knit teams.

Cons

Unappreciative little kids demanding everything on a silver platter that are never pleased no matter what we do.

None.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at NEXON

Pros

Good Benefit and relatively high pay

Cons

Small name value comparing to other companies
    It was not stable for people to work there when big portion of people were lay off

It will be better to provide job stability to all the employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nexon is a really great company to work for.

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Programmer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at NEXON

Pros

Great work environment.
    People are great.
    You get to meet many talented individuals.
    Profit sharing options which motivates you to increase your performance at work.
    Employees get to express their ideas freely without any fear of being ridiculed or rejected because every ideas are great even though some of them might not be suitable for the company.
    Every developer will get a chance to attend the developer conference every year which is great.
    Great health benefits.
    Management is cooperative and supportive.
    Work on a small productive team.
    The office is nice and comfortable.
    Free coffees and teas.
    Access to the gym.

Cons

The job compensation is well on average within the industry.
    Because the number of people is small, there are fewer chances to build your network or to meet new people.
    Sometimes during the crunch time or before delivery you will have to do some overtime work without any overtime pay.
    They do not offer any stock options because it is a private company.
    There are no retirement saving plans.
    There are no foods or snacks provided.
    There are no educational or self enhancement programs to support you in career advancement.
    The bonus and benefits given is below average within the industry.

They are really great because they listen to what the developers have to say and more importantly they actually do believe in what they say.

Overall a "good" experience at Nexon America.

Former Employee - Production Coordinator  in  El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits and a casual atmosphere. Great gym in the building next door. Quite a few team outings that are fun and to cool places.

Cons

I found it difficult to climb the ladder at Nexon. It seemed as if you were at least making it seem like you were busy, staying late as much as possible (even though there may not be anything pressing to handle), etc., that was seen as productive and a way to look good in the eyes of upper management. I saw micro managers move right up and it seemed to be due to their overall apparent stress level, willingness to constantly work late (needed or not) that made them appear to be steering things in the right direction. Then there were other employees who quietly got things done in a much more efficient manner and didn't need to work late five days a week that got pushed aside.

The only complaint I ever have with Nexon is that there seems to be a great deal of emphasis on working long hours as if that is always the way to go. I've seen QA forced to stay late multiple times even though they were absolutely not a necessity. Paying overtime to employees has to be a huge cost to the company and it always seemed over the top. Producers constantly stay late and other team members feel they need to hang around too, if only to appear to be a team player when it may not be productive for the game team or the company as a whole to do so. This majorly disrupts the concept of work/life balance within game teams and the company as a whole. Suddenly just being present past normal working hours was an indicator of a good employee, which is not a good thing at all.

Localization Project Manager

I worked at NEXON

Pros

Gained global experience with renowned publisher over the world.
    Leaned how to work well in dynamic and multifaceted setting.

Cons

Low salary against huge revenue.
    No overtime work allowance.

Big things ahead

Current Employee - Interaction Designer  in  El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Interaction Designer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time

Pros

I've worked in the creative department at Nexon for 10 months and have seen a change in Sr. Management (Director level over creative, Marketing and Customer Service groups) and some restructure. Some people left, some people were asked to leave and some new faces came on board. Overall the place has improved a ton since the end of 2014.

Pros: I genuinely like all of the people I work with and have laughed every single day since I started in July 2013.
    Management seems to be getting closer to a unified vision and seems to be making strides in driving the business in the right direction. I believe Nexon is positioned to be big in the industry in the next few years.

I've had a lot of freedom and autonomy to drive the changes I believe are best. This works if you don't like to be micromanaged and can rise to the challenge of driving results yourself.

I know some departments have a problem with long hours but I've only put in a handful of late nights here while big projects are getting ready to ship. I think the work/life balance is fair and competitive.

1 paid off between christmas and new years is awesome.

Cons

The departments need to learn to work better together (See a comment a few down that says "interference by less important departments" wtf? You think LGP is the only important department?)

There are still a good amount of people who say "But that's not the way we've done it in the past." Gotta lose that, super frustrating.

A lot of bad opinions of Nexon on the web (and rightly so, lots of bad policies in the past at the expense of gamers.)

Invest in more UX experts and continue on your path to be a user-centered company.

Make sure all levels of the company have the resources they need to take the products into the future.

Well

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seoul (South Korea)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seoul (South Korea)

I worked at NEXON full-time

Pros

The company is getting lots of money. Financially stable.

Cons

Even it has a lot of money, you can not expect any incentive. The company has a history of firing many employees even it had grown up more than 30 percentage comparing to the previous year.

Great international environment, but quite "corporate".

I have been working at NEXON full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

International working environment, intelligent people, large exposure to top people in the industry, huge financing capital through IPO to sustain aggressive M&A

Cons

low salary, few employee perks, rigid organization, working hours are not flexible

Salary-level is not competitive compared to peers, vision can be expanded a bit more outside of core games industry

Current Employee - Assistant Producer/Production Coordinator  in  El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Producer/Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work with great people.
    Managers/Team Leads are always willing to share their knowledge.
    Friendly work environment.

Cons

Bit of a drive if not in the area. TRAFFIC

Worked for NEXON? Contribute to the Community!