NEXON

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015
2.7

Seung Woo Choi

Pros
  • A basketball court at the office (in 6 reviews)

• Great people with good energy and willingness to be the best (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was not a consideration (in 6 reviews)

• No room for growth in the company unless outstanding (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Avoid while you can. Waste of your time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Free lunch twice a week.
    * Okay benefits.

Cons

* Poor Executive/Senior/Mid level management.
    * Poor work culture
    * Very low pay
    * Poor Work/Life Balance

Claiming yourself as an American company. Do not go back and forth between Korean/American company at your convenience. Go to your office and see how many people work late hours. That means you need to hire more people.

Stay away

I worked at NEXON

Pros

Office building looks nice, close to LAX, parking situation seems to be okay. Surrounding area has pretty fine restaurants if you're a drive-out-for-lunch kind.
    Easy to get hired, if you don't mind low salary, temporary position.

Cons

Low morale in general.
    Benefits are less than industry average.
    In office vending machine is really expensive.
    A LOT of politics.
    Lack of employee ownership.
    People refusing to take responsibility unless they are execs.
    Promotion, hiring not clear.

Hiring a bunch of executive level people won't help.

Where dreams come to die

Current Employee - Not Applicable in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Not Applicable in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We get Columbus Day off

Cons

Being lied to from the moment you agree to work for them
    No company loyalty
    Pay is awful unless you are Korean or have connections
    Having to sit through town hall meetings held by the CEO every month just to hear him spit lies
    Will do everything in their power to low ball you
    Create stupid titles that don't exist anywhere else
    Long hours no work life balance
    No team collaboration even though our foundation is supposedly based on it
    High turnover rate
    Possibly being hired as a temp, promised to become permanent only later being fire because you are expandable
    Clueless CEO, how clueless? You ask, he said there is nothing on the net that we can find that speaks ill of Nexon America. Google it!
    Working with incompetent employees
    Too many chiefs not enough Indians

I honestly can’t give any advice to management because they are not interested in anything I or anyone else working at Nexon America has to say. They give us the illusion of freedom, opportunity, creativity, but at the end of the day once all that is said and done it falls prey to the indecisiveness/aptitude of failed leadership.

Disfunctional

I worked at NEXON full-time

Pros

Nice people (at least some of them)

Cons

Low morale
    High turnover
    Bad job of picking games
    Tough place if you are not Korean

Road to Nowhere

I have been working at NEXON full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Open Work Environment
    - A few passionate people still there (despite everything)

Cons

- No company benefits (used to have tons; all taken away)
    - Culture of apathy & fear
    - Protectionist Management

A few years ago this was a great company to work for. There were free lunches twice a week, company parties 2-3x a year, annual pay raises and bonuses, etc. But for the past 2 years that's all been gone.

No one has gotten a pay raise or a bonus despite the CEO's assurances they'll come "soon." If you're lucky to be salaried you get medical benefits, but work 12 hr days on average. There are contract employees who were promised to be made full-time after 6 months, but are still contract 2 years later.

There's no incentive to work hard because there're no benefits period. This has led to a company culture of apathy. The management misguidedly tries to encourage productivity through worthless awards (The Golden Fork?!) while the employees keep asking again & again, "Where's my raise? Where're my benefits?"

Everyone has their eye on the door. Everyone is looking at other companies to work. No one wants to work hard because they'll just be given more work with no reward for doing well.

Give employees back the basic benefits people expected from any game publisher. Annual pay raises (even a little) shows that you value the employee & want to keep them. Bonuses lets people know they're doing a good job & should keep working hard.

garbage

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at NEXON part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

they have great benefits. The people are friendly too, but not very smart.
    they have fun events all the time
    the coffee is wonderful
    i can work stressfree
    not too consumed on deadlines

Cons

bad company
    people tend to work very slowly which results in angry customers
    need to get everything approved by headquarters so glitches or hacks tend not to be fixed immediatly. They also are money oriented. Even though things are programmed months in advanced, there still are many problems
    other people they hire have poor software skills which results in poor coding
    tend to make many mistakes
    poor time-keeping skills
    sometimes need to go at all hours of the days because of problems to servers
    server tends to get lots of glitches
    i feel that they have too many games and not enough people to services them
    low salary payments

Lost my faith in this industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are very friendly
    Good way to get industry experience

Cons

Unbelievable workload
    Understaffed
    Poor Atmosphere
    Bosses don't listen to our complaints
    Anti-minority attitudes expressed by some bosses
    The AC is broken
    My seat doesn't lean all the way back anymore
    No foosball table
    DFO is Dead

Realize that we as employees are human beings, not machines, and the ridiculous amount of stress being placed on a small number of us is NOT good policy. On top of this, direct more staff towards your flagging releases, hire more staff in general, release more content, provide a better level of customer communication and answer my flipping ticket please.

Good opportunity to learn about online games, poor business organization

I worked at NEXON

Pros

Good opportunity to learn about online games

Cons

Disorganized management, poor lateral coordination, horrible working hours

This gaming company makes a poor representation of what it means to work in the industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-great coffee machine
    -can be late often or not come in at all. They don't seem to have a policy for that, even if you are management.

Cons

-Two year temporary positions for most, with very expensive benefits and only if you can afford and want them.
    -No holiday pay, and forced to be off if you are temp.
    -Bad company structure; they do not know what direction they want to lead the company to.
    -The wrong people in the wrong positions, employees that are die hard being overworked to no end.
    -Old vet employees that are reluctant to change.
    -Company does not invest in resources for departments that need it.
    -Does not care about their player base.
    -They just want to know “How much more money they can make”, without a care in trying to fix their games and make them better for those that have spent the money already.
    -Everyone looks unhappy, and people quit weekly.

Figure out what direction you want to take, remind your management or re-train on how to manage and be professional.
    Pick up your company morale; a couple but almost no one seems happy to be there you wouldn’t think you work for a gaming company.
    Invest in your customer service and those that help improve your online game stability.

Korean Standards in Western World

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

I have been working at NEXON full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When you are new to the industry and willing to take cuts in your private life and payment it's easy to start as soon they have a job offer. You get a title and responsibility so you can use it to advance in your career.

The regular people working there are nice and you can become good friends.

You learn about many different fields of the gaming industry.

Cons

You will not have much possible choices how to improve your career, at certain levels you can't advance unless you are Korean (or probably fit yourself in Korean culture and be fluent in Korean). Rarely any position in lower to medium management is filled in by non-Koreans, so if you want to advance in your career you will be required to switch the company sooner or later.

There is the Luxembourgian working law the company has to follow (Nexon Europe), but in my work years the law has been broken several times. If you don't behave as they like you get nicely told "If you have a problem, you can go."

The goals the company sets are unrealistic, it creates pressure on the employees, it increases the stress level and leads to mismanagement which leads to more stress. If you are with your full heart into a project it may be in personal conflict with you since if you understand something of proper management you will see that the work way can not succeed -> very demotivating.

Also the outlook is not positive, I do not think that the top management and the CEO who are all Korean by the way understand much of games and western culture and this leads to many wrong decisions.

Since the pressure is high and the game teams understaffed due budget cuts it's not possible to work in creative ways, find new possibilities and bring in yourself at your best. Even I work in actually a very lively industry where single persons and ideas matter, I feel like a robot at work.

The company should become more western, and go with the time. They try to apply outdated and Korean standards to a community and their employees which will lead sooner or later to the point were even the strong main company in Japan will hold up the company anymore.

What Nexon Europe should do is: Take Money, get a proper game, get proper WESTERN manager for their title and start to make a proper service for their loyal customers with proper goal-setting with a proper budget.

This would help for a long term outlook as employee and also to have fun at work and be able to bring our self to the fulliest. Many of the people could be much more beneficial for the company if they wouldn't be handled as puppets.

NEXON Photos

Overview of Nexon Korea HQ
Lobby on 1st floor.
Lounge. There are every floors.

+ Add Photo