NFP Reviews

Douglas W. Hammond

1. Featured Review

Exciting Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at NFP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NFP offers the challenge of being able to make a difference for a variety of individuals and companies. If you are someone who wants to be involved in multiple projects that can truly make an impact, then this is a great place to be. I think NFP has an exciting future and I look forward to being a part of it!

Cons

There are some challenges, just like every job and company has. Communication can be tough sometimes given there are multiple office locations and there is a lot going on with the company and our industry.

Advice to Management

I think you'll find NFP's Business Leaders and Managers to be transparent and honest about what works and also what doesn't work. And to that I say keep it up and keep trying to do the right thing for your employees and our clients!

Assistant Vice President

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Austin, TX

I have been working at NFP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Executive Team - Access to Executive Mangement - Culture and People - Integrity

Cons

- Talent Development - long term future is hard to determine

Advice to Management

Grow your top talent so they will stay with the firm and help it be great.

Great opportunities to learn

I have been working at NFP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to learn certain aspect of the financial services industry as the company does a pretty good job training and developing its employees. Great work/life balance with telecommute arrangements offered to some employees. Most of the people in the organization take ownership of their work.

Cons

The pay is generally below industry average, hard to keep up with rising cost of living in Austin. No defined career paths to guide and motivate employees to work harder. Communication from senior managment improving but remains at large an unaddressed issue.

Advice to Management

With so much resources dedicated to train and develop employees, it seems that the effort to retain talent developed is minimal. People are assets in this industry, a better effort must be made to retain people with talent and potential.

5. Neglecting Talent

I have been working at NFP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual Fridays, friendly and competent co-workers

Cons

Talented employees not promoted, not rewarded, advice not sought out and given no voice. Management makes decisions in a vacuum, input not encouraged. Pay is below scale. Raises rarely given and are small when they are given.

Advice to Management

Identify talented, top-level performers and make sure they are happy with their work, career path and compensation or they will leave.

Vice President

Former Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Creative opportunity. Minimal supervision.

Cons

Lack of company focus. Poor moral due to over promotion of people favored by Sr. Management, as well as multiple rounds of lay-offs. Decisions, if made, are done in a vacuum. Lack of team environment - competing areas/lines of business/departments. If you stay there long enough, you'll eventually move up. No training. Few experienced Sr. level leaders to learn from.

Advice to Management

Scratch everything and start over with new, experienced leaders. Pay decent salaries to recruit strong, experienced leaders.

Great people to work with, ethically poor industry to be in.

Former Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great workmates, quality management, good learning environment.

Cons

You're working for the .01% and not getting paid well, kinda ironic.

Advice to Management

Increase employee salaries, start giving back to the community.

8. Technology Firm Services Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company was trying to make changes and had a social committee that was committed to trying to boost company morale.

Cons

The pay is way undervalued. There is no opportunity for growth, you were told to be thankful you had a job after the rift. You could go to management and HR with issues and they would turn an eye to it. What was okay for one was not okay for another, definite cases of good boys club.

Great culture, poor pay

I worked at NFP full-time

Pros

Good culture, education and career development is pretty good, nice location and office space, excellent people - they are typically passionate about serving clients, good benefits package

Cons

Titles and pay aren't consistent across departments and business lines, pay is below market, poor coordination/cooperation between business lines, operations departments are undervalued, behind in technology

Fantastic Company

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly employees, all of them super helpful. Very laid back work environment. I enjoyed my time at NFP and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Cons

The environment may be too laid back for some people, and it could take a while to get used to the company culture at first. Sometimes hard to get work done without headphones.

11. Nice place to learn then leave

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came in knowing nothing about the industry out of college and they "threw me into the fire" to say in Account Services. I was on the Enterprise team with alot of great people who had lots of experience and were very welcoming and could answer all my questions. I learned ALOT. Really good sense of camaraderie as opposed to the Brokerage team, where there seemed to always be some kind of problem popping up or someone talking about others behind there backs. My manager Danny was great, very approachable and always cheering everyone up with jokes.

Cons

Never got the sense there was much in terms of moving up the ladder. The workload was alot and the Enterprise team usually has to help out Brokerage, but Brokerage never helps out Enterprise. One team should not be immune from being cross-trained on other systems. There were talks of this training happening as I was leaving so maybe it has changed since then. Pay was terrible. I moved out of state and found a job very similar that was paying 10 K more. This speaks more to Austin not having a competitive environment as well as the CEO's thought process. In a quarterly meeting he mentioned hiring fresh grads from Texas because they will take smaller salaries just to stay in the city (which he is right).

Advice to Management

Find something to break up the monotony of everyday.

RSS Feed </> Embed