NFP Reviews

Douglas W. Hammond

Fantastic Company

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly employees, all of them super helpful. Very laid back work environment. I enjoyed my time at NFP and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Cons

The environment may be too laid back for some people, and it could take a while to get used to the company culture at first. Sometimes hard to get work done without headphones.

2. Great culture, poor pay

I worked at NFP full-time

Pros

Good culture, education and career development is pretty good, nice location and office space, excellent people - they are typically passionate about serving clients, good benefits package

Cons

Titles and pay aren't consistent across departments and business lines, pay is below market, poor coordination/cooperation between business lines, operations departments are undervalued, behind in technology

3. Analyst

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great day to day job environment, and the benefits are very good. Great people to work with and management is pretty open to hearing new ideas and thoughts.

Cons

The state of the financial industry has made it hard to bargain for a higher salary or ask for a promotion

Employees will walk if their talents and skills aren't compensated for annually.

5. Nice place to learn then leave

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I came in knowing nothing about the industry out of college and they "threw me into the fire" to say in Account Services. I was on the Enterprise team with alot of great people who had lots of experience and were very welcoming and could answer all my questions. I learned ALOT. Really good sense of camaraderie as opposed to the Brokerage team, where there seemed to always be some kind of problem popping up or someone talking about others behind there backs.

My manager Danny was great, very approachable and always cheering everyone up with jokes.

Cons

Never got the sense there was much in terms of moving up the ladder.

The workload was alot and the Enterprise team usually has to help out Brokerage, but Brokerage never helps out Enterprise. One team should not be immune from being cross-trained on other systems. There were talks of this training happening as I was leaving so maybe it has changed since then.

Pay was terrible. I moved out of state and found a job very similar that was paying 10 K more. This speaks more to Austin not having a competitive environment as well as the CEO's thought process. In a quarterly meeting he mentioned hiring fresh grads from Texas because they will take smaller salaries just to stay in the city (which he is right).

Find something to break up the monotony of everyday.

Fine Leadership, Passion, Quality, and Caring - NFP is the next Best Places to Work!

Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It was a joy to work in the Austin office, especially under the fine leadership I had (Marketing/Communications), and I would recommend it to anyone that can fit in. I say that because the company has high standards for competency, professionalism and there is definitely a close-knit family culture there. Across the company it was clear that they really take care of each other. Leadership strongly discouraged gossip/negativity and instead coached the team(s) on working together, building each other up, taking ownership of their work and never settling for mediocrity. Plus, everyone I met in the company was FUN, passionate about the quality of their work, and true professionals.
    Leadership takes your recommendations for company growth and improving processes seriously. Work/life balance and compensation is extremely fair, if not above average, and there is continual opportunity for training and growth. I wouldn't have left if I hadn't been accepted into the police academy and was making a 180 degree career change. NFP exceeded my expectations – I could see it being a next best places to work!

Cons

I can't think of anything I would warn others about. This is a great company!!!!

Keep doing what you're doing.

7. Good, laid-back environment - monotonous work for interns

Former Intern - Broker Dealer Compliance Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Broker Dealer Compliance Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The employees were nice and welcoming from the start, and they really did care about input from the interns. We were often included in meetings we weren't needed for just so we could learn more about the industry. We were also given the opportunity to meet with each member of upper management for short get-to-know-you meetings, which was really great and made us feel like a real part of the company.

Cons

Although we were interns, the projects we received were pretty monotonous and not particularly value-additive. One of my most monotonous projects was so large it lasted the entire span of my internship. When completing these types of projects, it wasn't always clear that it would even be useful to the department, which got a bit frustrating at times.

8. Terrible Culture, Worthless Management, Very Little Growth Opportunities.

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job, very little expectations.

Cons

Terrible management, worthless executive team, not very profitable so little room for growth

9. Flexible but severely underpaid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at NFP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Okay benefits. Management is good depending on what department you work in. Co-workers are great from my experience

Cons

Pay- they severely under pay you! I mean - 15/20K less than national average for the amount of work.

Work load in way to high. Not able to work overtime to meet the unrealistic expectations.

Don't want to invest in their employees growth and development.

Cover your back - while everyone is nice, they will throw you under the bus in a heart beat!!!

Wise up! If you do not pay competitive wages you will continue to lose people.

10. Lack of good managers and career opportunities

I worked at NFP full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, but strict clock-watchers
    Pay for FINRA licenses, but only if you 'need' them to perform your job
    Friendly coworkers, even if they were unqualified at times

Cons

Lousy pay, and little opportunity for promotion until someone retires or quits
    Very little communication and collaboration between departments
    Managers don't want to do the work, just sit in the office and look busy

Get rid of the dead weight managers and VP's
    Support and develop your high performers
    Paying a little more will bring in much better employees

11. A good start but not enough growth opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at NFP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really nice people there who will allow you to take on new projects and responsibilities if you ask for it. Work-life balance is good compared to other companies. They pay for you to get numerous FINRA licenses.

Cons

Unless you are willing to wait 5 to 10 years for someone to retire or move on, there isn't much growth opportunity. Certain managers are dead weight and allowed to stay that way, which really impacts morale.

Ensure that everyone is held to the same standard and work on making opportunities for internal employees to move up.