NGP VAN

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015
4.1

Stu Trevelyan

Great company doing incrediable things

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Awesome mission with great clients. Being able to wake up and know that what you're doing literally powers some of the biggest nonprofits and political campaigns in the world is great.
    -Laid back environment. Beer every Friday, employees hangout after work often, "casual Friday everyday" dress code policy, company retreats, etc.
    -A+ senior management. They've all been in the industry for years and have good connections. More then willing to help you out career wise.
    -Opportunities to connect and network with major players in the progressive movement.
    -Well known name. If you want to continue in this world (especially Democratic politics, less so with nonprofits) NGP VAN is a well known organization and at the very least will help get your resume noticed.
    -Relaxed start/end time. If your work is getting done, no one really cares when you show up/leave.

Cons

-As others have mentioned the pay isn't quite up to par. Not crazy low, but definitely on the lower end of industry standard.
    -Not great office (at least in DC). Good location in downtown DC, but the office isn't all that nice and there are too many people in most sections. Luckily I've heard we're out of it end of 2015/beginning of 2016.
    -Again, as others have mentioned, retention has been an issue in the past. Coming from the campaign world, this type of turn over is definitely expected though. In a much needed push to fill in need positions there have been some quick, time driven, hires that haven't turned out well (specifically sales).
    -The work life balance can be a little much sometimes. Depending on your team, 50+ hour weeks aren't totally unusual Luckily these busy periods don't last long and everyone is pretty upfront about scheduling when you're on boarded.

Increase base pay, get a better office, and focus more on retention. I'd rather have positions on my team go unfilled for 3 months then have someone hired in 2 weeks, and have that person be unqualified and an overall drain.
    Re-do the performance review process and with that trim the fat -- if someone's work isn't good or they're impossible to work with, then then should be fired. Period.

Ever heard of training?

Current Employee - Sales Team
    Current Employee - Sales Team

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is amazing, whether it's beer fridays, no designated time to come in or what to wear, or taking fireball shots on a Wednesday afternoon...because you can. Upper management is not intimidating at all, if anything, they make fun of themselves and try to know every employee. The relaxed nature of the company is definitely a huge turn on, as well as the location - who wouldn't want to work down the street from the White House?

Cons

Where do I start? One word: TRAINING. This company is HORRIBLE at training - their idea of "training" is giving you a 10-minute overview of how to do something and then expecting you to know it by the time you walk out. The phrase "well no one trained me..." is constantly thrown around and I personally find that to be self-destructive to the company - knowing that you struggled, wouldn't you want to make it better for the next "generation"?

Speaking of "generations", there seem to be A LOT of those. The turnover in this company is astronomical and that is for one reason - unless you want to work in Sales or Computer Science you are S.O.L. Being a political person this job offers no movement in politics, heck most of your job doesn't even involve politics other than knowing who is running for what and when.

Because of the casual environment, made up primarily of millennials, there is a lack of professionalism (yes, it is possible to have both at the same time). People do not communicate to each other like colleagues but rather friends, which is fine until their is a miscommunication and then you're screwed because no one takes responsibility.

1. Raise the pay - I know it sounds obvious but entry-level positions that require a bachelors degree should be offered at least $35K
    2. Train your employees! Have each department create manuals, how-to's, something so that the new employees aren't stuck asking a million questions (thus annoying their "trainers). It makes the new comers feel incompetent and inferior when they can't complete a task without help because they weren't given the right tools.
    3. Pay attention and appreciate the little guys more - I am talking Client Services, Sales Coordinator, Operations Assistants etc. - these are the people that have access to the most confidential information the company has, and yet they get paid the least! Even if you can't afford to give them the compensation they deserve, at least give them the recognition. They are the middle-men for a lot of the day-to-day processes that would not be able to function without them, yet they are tucked away in whatever space is left in the office.

Amazing group of people making a difference

Former Employee - Lead Developer/Designer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Developer/Designer in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture of this company is second to none. There was no one here I wouldn't consider a friend outside of the office. The work being done is extremely rewarding, helping to leave the world a better place than we found it through politics. There are a lot of opportunities to work on interesting projects and to meet some of the movers and shakers within the Democratic party. There is literally nothing like getting up every morning knowing that the work you are doing has a direct and lasting impact on millions of people's lives.

Cons

Being in politics, the pay is less than you'd expect at a regular company with similar positions. At least within my own department (new media), I found we were a small enough group that there wasn't really much opportunity for advancement while still doing the work that I loved.

Keep doing what you're doing. Look for more opportunities for employees to create special projects that might be of use down the road (like what Eric was leading when I was there).

Great place to work

Former Intern - Web Development Intern in Medford, NY
    Former Intern - Web Development Intern in Medford, NY

I worked at NGP VAN as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was pretty good for my experience, $20/hr. Great setup with a comfy chair, three monitors. Was treated as an employee rather than an intern, which was very nice. Great company culture with beer fridays and beer outings. Note: I worked in the boston office, which is fairly different from the DC office as far as I know.

Cons

Since I was treated like an employee, my team was doing a lot of "maintenance" type work which isn't too glamorous. Still learned a ton, though.

Seemed like people needed a bit more support in their desire to work on projects/developing new stuff. That being said, I can't really blame the focus on improving everything since the codebase definitely has some outdated parts. Focus seems to be a little heavily on providing niche features to clients.

Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very fun culture, they stand for a great cause and have so much potential. NGP VAN is like a family and they look out for their people and really help with connections and making sure you leave with a lot of experience and support

Cons

he only big problem is that there seems to be a lack of communication, senior members using lower staff to do their work and they leave early.

More communication and better understanding of workload

Great alternative to traditional startup culture

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-- very friendly workplace environment where everyone shares similar progressive values
     -- "family-like" atmosphere
     -- few workplace politics
     -- decent appreciation for work/life balance
     -- engineering dept very committed to becoming more diverse
     -- VERY generous parental leave policy recently added

Cons

-- culture is a little more geared towards young 20-something's: free beer, unlimited soda, and a ping pong table in the main conference room. On the plus side, they are transitioning to be more inclusive
     -- benefits are not quite in line with industry standards: no "insurance" policies (short/long term disability; life) pretty expensive premiums for adding kids/spouse to health care coverage. On the plus side they recently added generous parental leave.

Focus on retention of your best and brightest -- continue adding benefits that are valuable to them as they grow with you.

Non-Stressful and Challenging Tasks Well-Balanced

Former Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Daily tasks were challenging at times but balanced as to not be too stressful for an extended period
    Management was honest when they had to be but not stressful to work with
    Company retreats (every couple of years) were enjoyable
    Work hours were fairly flexible

Cons

At times the situation almost seemed to be too relaxed and quality slid through the cracks
    Team was a little more isolated from the rest of the company
    Compensation was a little under-par in comparison to that of other companies

Quite a few high-level team members came and went during my brief time. While it was not my personal experience I would say that management should try to hold on to their people that they have invested time and money into.

Had to leave. Terrible management in accounting. Nice environment otherwise

I worked at NGP VAN

Pros

Friday beer. Standing desks. Snacks. Monday fruits. Not much at all

Cons

Low pay plus commute. No ability to work from home if you work in accounting. Incompetent controller

Pay attention they what's going on

Been here a long time

I have been working at NGP VAN

Pros

The company is like family

Cons

Without doubt, we've had growing pains.

Surround yourself with decent, kind people and even the hardest work days are manageable.

I worked at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

NGP VAN is a family. Years after leaving this company, I will still be inviting my former boss to my wedding someday. It's a work hard/play hard environment, and everyone likes each other enough that a lot of fun times outside the office involve coworkers as well.

Cons

Depending on the department, it can be hard to advance past a certain point because so many of the managers love their jobs and want to stick around for a long time.

Keep on keepin' on.