NGP VAN

Updated January 12, 2015
Updated January 12, 2015
4.1

Stu Trevelyan

Amazing group of people making a difference

Former Employee - Lead Developer/Designer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Developer/Designer in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture of this company is second to none. There was no one here I wouldn't consider a friend outside of the office. The work being done is extremely rewarding, helping to leave the world a better place than we found it through politics. There are a lot of opportunities to work on interesting projects and to meet some of the movers and shakers within the Democratic party. There is literally nothing like getting up every morning knowing that the work you are doing has a direct and lasting impact on millions of people's lives.

Cons

Being in politics, the pay is less than you'd expect at a regular company with similar positions. At least within my own department (new media), I found we were a small enough group that there wasn't really much opportunity for advancement while still doing the work that I loved.

Keep doing what you're doing. Look for more opportunities for employees to create special projects that might be of use down the road (like what Eric was leading when I was there).

Great place to work

Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Medford, NY
    Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Medford, NY

I worked at NGP VAN as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was pretty good for my experience, $20/hr. Great setup with a comfy chair, three monitors. Was treated as an employee rather than an intern, which was very nice. Great company culture with beer fridays and beer outings. Note: I worked in the boston office, which is fairly different from the DC office as far as I know.

Cons

Since I was treated like an employee, my team was doing a lot of "maintenance" type work which isn't too glamorous. Still learned a ton, though.

Seemed like people needed a bit more support in their desire to work on projects/developing new stuff. That being said, I can't really blame the focus on improving everything since the codebase definitely has some outdated parts. Focus seems to be a little heavily on providing niche features to clients.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very fun culture, they stand for a great cause and have so much potential. NGP VAN is like a family and they look out for their people and really help with connections and making sure you leave with a lot of experience and support

Cons

he only big problem is that there seems to be a lack of communication, senior members using lower staff to do their work and they leave early.

More communication and better understanding of workload

Great alternative to traditional startup culture

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-- very friendly workplace environment where everyone shares similar progressive values
     -- "family-like" atmosphere
     -- few workplace politics
     -- decent appreciation for work/life balance
     -- engineering dept very committed to becoming more diverse
     -- VERY generous parental leave policy recently added

Cons

-- culture is a little more geared towards young 20-something's: free beer, unlimited soda, and a ping pong table in the main conference room. On the plus side, they are transitioning to be more inclusive
     -- benefits are not quite in line with industry standards: no "insurance" policies (short/long term disability; life) pretty expensive premiums for adding kids/spouse to health care coverage. On the plus side they recently added generous parental leave.

Focus on retention of your best and brightest -- continue adding benefits that are valuable to them as they grow with you.

Non-Stressful and Challenging Tasks Well-Balanced

Former Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Daily tasks were challenging at times but balanced as to not be too stressful for an extended period
    Management was honest when they had to be but not stressful to work with
    Company retreats (every couple of years) were enjoyable
    Work hours were fairly flexible

Cons

At times the situation almost seemed to be too relaxed and quality slid through the cracks
    Team was a little more isolated from the rest of the company
    Compensation was a little under-par in comparison to that of other companies

Quite a few high-level team members came and went during my brief time. While it was not my personal experience I would say that management should try to hold on to their people that they have invested time and money into.

Had to leave. Terrible management in accounting. Nice environment otherwise

I worked at NGP VAN

Pros

Friday beer. Standing desks. Snacks. Monday fruits. Not much at all

Cons

Low pay plus commute. No ability to work from home if you work in accounting. Incompetent controller

Pay attention they what's going on

Been here a long time

I have been working at NGP VAN

Pros

The company is like family

Cons

Without doubt, we've had growing pains.

Surround yourself with decent, kind people and even the hardest work days are manageable.

I worked at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

NGP VAN is a family. Years after leaving this company, I will still be inviting my former boss to my wedding someday. It's a work hard/play hard environment, and everyone likes each other enough that a lot of fun times outside the office involve coworkers as well.

Cons

Depending on the department, it can be hard to advance past a certain point because so many of the managers love their jobs and want to stick around for a long time.

Keep on keepin' on.

Good place to intern.

Current Employee - Product in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Product in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Climate is laid back.
    Good pay.
    Challenging/ever changing work- with good prospects in what's to come.
    Easy product to get behind and work hard for.
    Beer delivery on Fridays.
    In certain departments, its normal to start your day at 10 pm.
    Close to McPherson metro and Farragut.
    Nice people.
    CEO and VPs are extremely smart, talented people that care and get to know their employees- even the interns. Stu (CEO) is an excellent guy.

Cons

Hours are skewed so you wont get out until 6 pm sometimes later.
    Chain of command- need all sorts of permissions, security access.
    In my circumstance, there was no room for me to stay on as FT employee.
    Towards the end of my internship, I felt as though I wasn't being utilized as well and I felt more like a stranger intern than previously felt as part of family/culture. Basically, I felt unwelcome and like a burden.

Status quo, bureaucratic, communication issues

I worked at NGP VAN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fighting the good fight

- Great place for the intersection of tech and politics.

- Company retreat after tough times

- Laid back atmosphere most of the time. Free beer in the office every Friday.

- Family-like culture was great, especially for a company of that size, but it actually caused problems as well (see the Cons)

- Good job security as monopoly position in core products meant little swing in company revenues year to year

Cons

- Very bureaucratic. Change met with heavy resistance.

- Communication in company was pretty bad, too many meetings, too many long email chains that quickly devolved into chaos with little result. Sales/marketing woes and requests from customers rarely made their way to engineering so they could be remedied.

- Engineering/Product interactions were a constant pain point.

- QA not considered worth investing in by upper management leaving QA staff stretched thin and products consistently buggy. Far more manual QA by non-QA staff than there ought to have been as a result which was just poor resource allocation.

- In busy times (near election), management expected employees to work extra hours without additional pay, dangling the company retreat as a prize. But as one of the benefits they touted during hiring, it was not really a prize or bonus at all.

- Family-like culture meant that the company never let anyone go and consequently they retained far too many incompetent employees diluting the overall competency. This also led to poor employees being promoted to positions of leadership which exacerbated the problem.

- Having a monopoly position in its main products caused innovation to stagnate. Rather than innovating, the company moved to just copying each feature any of their competitors had which they didn't. Doing so one at a time with little foresight into the bigger picture got old quickly.

- Overall just status quo. Not improving, not getting worse, bulk of revenue from old products, not much reason to innovate.

Trim the fat and remove problem employees, being too nice to let them go is not helping them and hurting the company at large. Rather than hiring 10 decent employees with low salaries, offer better compensation and get 5-7 excellent ones. Find a way to have better communication between departments, tackle larger problems rather than just going one-by-one for feature parity with competitors.