NHS Human Services

www.nhsonline.org
Profile Unclaimed

I had a great time working with NHS.

Former Employee - DSP in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - DSP in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at NHS Human Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work for a family person.

Cons

Not too great for students

Love the work! But direct management sucks!

I have been working at NHS Human Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very enjoyable working with clients that need assistance.

Cons

Management at my branch lacks knowledge of the clients, the overall scope of what needs to be done and has no morals.

Fix the management.

Beware!

Current Employee - Caregiver in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at NHS Human Services part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with special needs population is quite enjoyable and rewarding.

Cons

Where to begin, this (dis)organization is a HORRIBLE place to work, extremely high turnover rate on all levels of employment. Too many "middle-men" information gets lost warped and misconstrued. Managers that lack management ability, steal money from the company, steal food and resources from the clients in the group homes. There were days clients had little to no food to eat , shoes with holes in them, winter coats with rips and tears in them in the month of February! House managers withhold vital information from group home staff like training dates and do you know who gets in trouble the STAFF not the manager. You will be called in to administration offices for investigations for things you know nothing of and YES you will be held accountable in some way or another and you will be given a "verbal warning" which is a FORMAL document that you must sign, they keep it in your records so that if they decide to terminate you they will have a reason to not grant you unemployment. Dates on "formal" documents will be altered/falsified to make it seem as if proper and timely protocol has been made when your were actually presented with the document two days ago. The "higher-ups" are ignorant of everything that goes on in the group home settings nor do they care, they only cover things up to make it appear as if they have done what they should to cover their own behinds. There are policies that are blatantly disregarded by mangers and administration when it suits them. There is no appreciation for all the hard work and utter crap that direct care staff must go through on a daily basis. Group home staff are overworked because of the high turnover having to work 3+ shifts in a row and if they fall asleep because they haven't slept in over 48 hours they are then immediately terminated. AVS was an amazing company to work for until NHS took over and corrupted it all, now it is disgraceful, filled with malicious, vindictive, lying, back stabbing people who care only of themselves, not even the clients. I pray this place is shut down for good and taken to court for all the wrong that it has caused the clients and its employees both past and present.

Repent

A lack of proper clinical supervision coupled by a low salary

Former Contractor - Fee for Service Therapist in Sharon Hill, PA
    Former Contractor - Fee for Service Therapist in Sharon Hill, PA

I worked at NHS Human Services as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to practice while racking up those LCSW or LPC points.

Cons

There is very little opportunity for supervision here that is actually meaningful and clinical in every way. Attempts to talk to supervisors were friendly but not helpful. Supervisors literally said "that's a clinical questions. I just help you with your administrative things". Client show rate is horrible.

Every incoming new graduate acting as a therapist needs to have group and individual supervision that is paid. this ensures that they stay longer and clients get continuity of care. Yeah it means that you have to shell out an hour or two of your time but it is ethical and necessary to do so in order to ensure that you reduce your terrible turnover rate.

A great company to work for

Former Employee - BSC in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - BSC in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at NHS Human Services part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Self made schedule, choice of hours, trainings, minimum supervision, great job if you like kids, can work independently, have good time management skills, and are able to complete paperwork on time/accurately, the people you work with make this a great company to work for

Cons

Client cancellations, amount of paperwork, may not receive a large case load immediately, pay for service, no benefits

Make paperwork more efficient or reimburse employees for time spent completing paperwork, require same quality of work from all staff, include a benefit option for employees that work a certain number of hours each week

Very Disorganized and Poor Communication

Former Employee - Therapeutic Staff Support in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Therapeutic Staff Support in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at NHS Human Services part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I can't really say there was much positive about this place. Staff has it's own culture and doesn't accept outsiders.

Cons

Ideas are not considered and if suggestions are made for improvement, management holds it against employees. Poor communication, lack of structure, people allowed to do whatever they want. This was a school setting and it was being run like a group home.

I have already let management know the improvements they can make. They weren't interested in any change.

A Human Services organization with a mission and a heart

I worked at NHS Human Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

NHS provides a wide variety of services with job opportunities at every level. They provide a comprehensive orientation and continued opportunities for professional growth. There are several lines of service offered by the company expanding the options for your career path. Job satisfaction, great relationships with peers, and strong friendships were just a few of the perks I enjoyed while employed with NHS.

Cons

As with any human services organization, salaries are partially dependent on funds received. This means highly qualified staff are not always paid what they are worth. For me, the lesser salary was balanced by a nice benefit package and a high level of job satisfaction.

Similar positions across the state are not given equal weight by title or salary. This could be balanced. Keep the community ties strong. Keep providing high quality care to those who are in need.

Good experience with clients, managers leave something to be desired.

Former Employee - Case Manager in Lake Charles, LA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Lake Charles, LA

I worked at NHS Human Services full-time

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, free to develop in depth relationships with clients.

Cons

Middle Management can be unprofessional at times and upper management does not seem to care.

Less nepotism, hire employees from a larger pool of applicants.

I recommend keep looking, NHS is not the company to work for

Former Employee - FFS DCP
    Former Employee - FFS DCP

I worked at NHS Human Services part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Have some flexibility in what you can & cannot work, pay is good, some of the consumers are nice

Cons

constantly changing your schedule, lack of communication, poor management, rude consumers, no consideration

Nhs needs to get themselves together. I am glad I didn't stay with them, I could only stand it for about half a year! The pay is decent but when they hire you as FFS, you could be working 40+ hours a week but no benefits. They train you for a week and then send you out, and most consumers you go to just need cleaning, or errands ran, etc but some people have more serious conditions and they dont prepare you for that. They will change your schedule 6 times within the first two weeks of being there and then probably three times a month after that. Their system of organizationa and communication is terrible. If you tell them you are not available wednesday morning and friday nights they will schedule you on both days saying either, "Oh I forgot" or "You never told me this". I have worked for some nice people before but also some nasty ones. And they don't warn you about the different personalities. Another annoying thing is if you live in say for example carmichaels they will send you out to donora even though they have consumers in carmichaels. Sometimes they will need you to go to a shift before you original scheduled shift. So if you have a regular person on your schedule that you work for at 9 am but they say well we need you to go here so go to your regular person an hour and a half later. So they person you normally work for is waiting at 9 for you to come and you dont show up until 10:30 because nhs had you running around. That consumer is usually upset because they had no clue they would be waiting so long. BUT Nhs doesn't communicate! They don't keep on track with anything, they are a hot mess! I had to leave because of how unorganized they were and how much they kept screwing me up. Seriously and I have heard it doesn't get better with time so just avoid. There are better caregiving companies out there who know what they are doing and pay better and give you benefits.

some nasty NASTY people

I worked at NHS Human Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

need to teach the DSP some professionalism and teach them to do their job correctly

Cons

drama drama drama DRAMA DRAMA

training is not there-no promotions no raises-management has time off and special DSP have time off--other then that I WOULD NEVER WORK FOR THAT COMPANY AGAIN..NASTY NASTY PEOPLE..LIARERS