NHS Tayside Reviews

3.9
Frances Havenga
1 Rating

1. Great to work at NHS Tayside

Current Employee - Laboratory Staff in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Staff in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at NHS Tayside part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of friendly staff and co-workers, Ninewells is a large hospital with significant focus on teaching and research which is beneficial for patients and families

Cons

Some of the managers are difficult and outdated in their approaches. A few courses on correct managerial behaviour would not go amiss, in my opinion

Advice to Management

Please drop KSF! It is boring and pointless and is only completed as a formality. I believe it is a waste of precious time that could be spent better doing your real job.

2. Great place

Former Employee - FY1 in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - FY1 in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I worked at NHS Tayside

Pros

Excellent Mess, excellent banter, excellent experience, excellent exposure to acute and General Medicine.

Cons

Canteen isn't that great but I can take my own lunch anyway.

Advice to Management

Nil

3. General review

I have been working at NHS Tayside full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good opportunities to learn new skills in a wide range of areas. Accountability and responsibility can also be wide ranging. Working with Clinician and managers to improve patient services is a definite motivation. Good holidays

Cons

Like other big companies, it's easy to get stuck in a particular job and just get more work heaped on you. The great pension has been taken away for anyone under the high executive level.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. By listen, I mean don't just think about what you're going to say in reply to the conversation.

5. Working as a nurse is stressful and rewarding

Current Employee - Mental Health Nurse in Perth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Mental Health Nurse in Perth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at NHS Tayside full-time

Pros

Human resources department is very helpful and knowledgeable offering prompt advice. Management still have a human touch and are understanding and compassionate. There are lots of opportunities for career advancement

Cons

The pressure to reach targets is impacting on the health of nurses working in child and adolescent mental health premises are old and in need of modernisation it takes a long time to replace colleagues who leave their post.

Advice to Management

Offer praise when a good job is being done and not leave just talk about the targets which have not been met. Individuals should be given appraisals about their performance. Dont forget we have lives outside of NHS Tayside and we are doing our best because we want to and not because we have to. Listen when we raise issues and act promptly.

6. Positive experience for little time employed yet

Current Employee - Psychologist in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Psychologist in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at NHS Tayside

Pros

I find it inspiring to have a chance to work with other, more experienced people who is a well of knowledge. The atmosphere feels very welcoming and people working here seem to genuinely care. Other benefits include attractive pay, good pension scheme, generous annual leave allocation and feeling of being part of something greater.

Cons

The employment process personally was long and tiring. The lack of financial resources leads to less people being employed in the service to do the job and as a result you often end up overloaded with work. Therefore, the amount and complexity or work does not reflect onto salary.

Advice to Management

As a way of building positive professional work relationships (which lead to better work satisfaction and greater productivity) some colleagues' out of work events could be organized.

7. Mostly a good experience so far!

Current Employee - Healthcare Assistant in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Healthcare Assistant in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at NHS Tayside part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and overtime bonuses. Flexible hours, reliable and helpful colleagues and staff. Shifts usually available when I need them and time off when I need it.

Cons

Took a while to get the paperwork through to get started! Hoped to start as a summer job continuing part time when uni restarted but was only able to work 1 week in summer

8. Healthcare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at NHS Tayside

Pros

Good pension provision. Good working environment. Job stabilitiy is very good and holiday's per year is generous. Good parking and good staff canteen.

Cons

Endless work piled onto already overworked staff depending on the government objective of the moment. Poor staff develpoment and very blame culture operates with vigour,

Advice to Management

Look after your staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed