NIC

NIC President, CEO, and Director Harry H. Herington

Harry H. Herington

Awesome!

Web Applications Developer (Former Employee) Jackson, MS

ProsFriendly environment. Lot of potential to learn new techniques and improve your expertise level in one's field.

ConsNo challenges. Great work experience.

Certain state offices of NIC are better than others...but not the PA office. Horrible.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAppeared to be an up and coming operation within PA...and appeared to be a good company on the onset.

ConsToo many management changes, people who came in after I was hired (within a few days) were micromanagers to the HILT and would fire/demote people without cause. The corporate office might be nice, but the Pa office is HORRIBLE. My advice ? Look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a close watch on your state hubs/territories. Watch for the number of people leaving in a short period of time (whether by their own choice or not). There's more to what's going on with certain hubs/offices than meets the eye.

Positive so far

ProsGood niche company with niche approach to software service delivery.

ConsBelow average pay
    Unclear career path within company
    Disorganized upper corporate management

Advice to Senior ManagementTotal objective 3rd party review of the company direction and operations. Seems directionless

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great internship experience.

Web Content Analyst (Former Employee) Salem, OR

ProsCompensation, close collaboration throughout entire company, positive culture, great learning experience for an intern.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Software developer

Software Developer (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

Prosgood people to work with. Can leave office by 5:00. Chillax job.

ConsThe salary options are limited. I wont say its too less but you need to ask and persist to get a raise.

Advice to Senior Managementmore salary

Great for many years, sliding now, hopefully great again soon

ProsGreat coworkers. Get in & get the job done type of people for the most part.

ConsManagement is being brought in without having first gone through the trenches which means they have no idea what the people doing the work are actually doing or having to deal with day to day. The original idea of the company was promotion from within you start at the bottom & work up, that is no longer an option, the career paths are no longer used. The national conferences are only for management personnel now, the grunts are no longer needed to go & learn new things or present new ideas to the whole company, which takes away from where this company began - 2 guys in a basement working their butts off to make it great.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people doing the work. They know what the company needs to survive. Talk to them. Tell them what is going on and where things stand.

Great environment, compelling business model and terrific coworkers.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe work is challenging without being stressful, the company has tons of experience to draw on, and offices actually share expertise and ideas.

ConsSalaries are good but only about the middle-of-the-road for the web industry. Working with government can sometimes be infuriatingly slow. The company is not great at thought leadership around web tech and devices.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the intranet. Provide a better more reliable technical infrastructure, and invest in more mobile devices or offer a BYOD program; we need to look like we're leading-edge in tech.

It's not too bad, but it could be better

ProsThe potential to make a big impact with a small team. Room for advancement in some career tracts if you want to move around the country.

ConsManagement likes to delegate to middle management and work on advancing their own careers. Lots of bosses, not many leaders. Lots of talk of "company culture" but it's put on the back burner to make shareholders happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurn your bosses into leaders.

Best place to start and grow your career.

ProsGreat growth - strong collaboration - good people to work with

ConsGrowing pains can cause stress (good problem to have)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share vision with employees - when the employees understand the vision - they can truly own it and help make it happen

Admin

Administrative (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsGreat health benefits, cover 100% by employer

ConsFrequent reorg many ppl were left due to lack of job security or uncertainty

Worked for NIC? Contribute to the Community!