NIC Reviews

Reset
3.3
NIC President, CEO, and Director Harry H. Herington
Harry H. Herington

Pros
  • Great growth - strong collaboration - good people to work with (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance is generally OK (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Working with government can sometimes be infuriatingly slow (in 3 reviews)

• Male dominated upper management (in 3 reviews)

1. I have been working at NIC

Pros

NIC is software development company we had work 2 + years there.

Cons

Very Good working environment in entered company I Shaw in 2 years.

2. This company is amazing!

I have been working at NIC

Pros

Work-life balance, wellness incentives, and casual atmosphere.

Cons

There are no cons so far

3. Great place to work. Only problem is limited advancement opportunities because people rarely leave

Former Employee - Project Manager in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Olathe, KS

I worked at NIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of support, but no travel, limited advancement for IT

Cons

No advancement, small IT shop so not much room to grow. Not a lot of range for type of projects, need more interesting stuff to work on

Advice to Management

More training

One of the Best to work for, not necessarily THE BEST.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the Infrastructure department, management has moved to a quarterly system of objectives setting / grading so at yearly review, the data is in hand for the entire year and not left to a managers memory or current feelings / mood. Excellent culture, benefits are well above average for the tech industry. Working environment is casual / business casual. Customer Service / Experience are a focus as well as delivery of solid solutions to the partners. Employees have multiple opportunities for career and field advancement.

Cons

As with many tech companies, upper level management is sometimes quick to jump on and purchase solutions when integration and use cases are not well thought out. The devil is in the details and not enough time is invested in working thru a couple of details prior to purchase. Leadership overall is very good and tries to communicate objectives and news down the chain, but again, upper management apparently does not communicate clear messages to middle management so the message is sometimes muddled when delivered to the grunts. Coupled with fast changing priorities, out of box solution challenges, and an aggressive project pipeline, it does make change and miscommunication the only real constant.
    Once employed, raises (even with lateral moves) are few and far between. Culture, atmosphere, technology are all reasons to fall in love with a position, but at the end of the day if you can't pay your bills because raises are capped and an exception process no one wants to use is all you have to look forward to, then change is immanent.

Advice to Management

Planning for the next budget cycle is pure folly without having clear-cut expectations and rationalized / well thought out objectives.
    Raises should be based on performance and value of individuals, not boxed into a % that gets "spread around". Relay the true value of the employee instead of just 'giving everyone a little something'.

6. Best Place I've Ever Worked

Current Employee - Manager/Technologist in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Manager/Technologist in Olathe, KS

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The senior leadership team is incredibly talented. They've developed a culture that encourages innovation at all levels. They have proven that they believe in developing talent from within and that they genuinely care for their employees. This team is the strongest I've worked for.
    - NIC is hungry to do more and to do it great. The environment is not one where careers grow stale.
    - The latest technology is always in play. For a technologist, the environment allows great growth opportunity.
    - The talent level is high. There are many very smart people to work alongside.

Cons

The concerns I had 2 years ago no longer exist. This is a solid company.

7. Awesome!

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Jackson, MS

I worked at NIC full-time

Pros

Friendly environment. Lot of potential to learn new techniques and improve your expertise level in one's field.

Cons

No challenges. Great work experience.

8. A great internship experience.

Former Employee - Web Content Analyst in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Web Content Analyst in Salem, OR

I worked at NIC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation, close collaboration throughout entire company, positive culture, great learning experience for an intern.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

9. Its perfect technology

Former Employee - Software Developer in Jaipur, Rajasthan (India)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Jaipur, Rajasthan (India)

I worked at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with loyalty and fluent with communication

Cons

Several Kind of projects and many more work

Advice to Management

Make some more security with employment

Incredible Opportunity for Growth and Advancement

I have been working at NIC

Pros

The company really values its employees, and works hard to promote from within and advance the careers of its employees. Lots of opportunities exist for advancement, especially if you're willing to move to another state.

Cons

Due to close connections with local government offices, hours are not as flexible as in some software development companies. It's not a big deal for the most part, but you can't generally work unusual hour or telecommute.

It's the best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at NIC

Pros

Company has a culture of viewing their employees as a very valuable resource. Our portal allows very flexible working conditions where possible. My experience with management at our portal as well as other managers from other portals is that they treat persons of all positions equally. The company supports having fun and enjoying work.

Cons

They could use more HR over-site in many areas. I'm sure it's difficult being spread out but believe ;they could use more people, especially since they are the administrator for the health insurance program. I would like to see more over site in how promotions are handled.

Advice to Management

Difficult to say as we are so spread out. Most of us are not at corporate. Different portals are ran differently.

RSS Feed </> Embed