NIH

Francis S. Collins

129 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pretty good choice

I have been working at NIH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay for permanent positions. Don't have to write grants.

ConsIncreasingly hard to obtain that permanent position

Great place for young Scientist for training

Post Doctoral IRTA (Current Employee)

I have been working at NIH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNIH has great scientist to work with to start your research. The plenty of resources such as fund for research, grant writing workshops, and seminar by great scientist gives an opportunity to build your network and start as an independent scientist. Since postdoctoral position is mostly influenced by the mentor, however because of federal funding you will have more flexibility to design and execute experiments.

ConsIts really hard to get the next level position and limited funding for conference attendance. The payment is low considering advanced degree.

Incredible place to work

NIH Intern (Former Employee)
Bethesda, MD

I worked at NIH full-time for more than a year

ProsThe NIH is a world-class center for research in Bethesda, Maryland. The people who are PIs are NIH are frequently people who were doing top, top work at their previous institutions, and then get offered positions at NIH which they take because of the more secure funding. Despite this, it can be harder to maintain a very very large lab at NIH, but changes in lab size are much more graded than in academia outside NIH.

ConsAs in all scientific research, your work-life balance will suffer. If you're working at NIH outside of R&D though, your life is probably fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the research/scientific wing of the NIH is merit-based, administration/management is not necessarily. You have to wait your turn to advance.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to be

ProsWork environment.
Access to cutting edge science, collaborators, and instrumentation.

ConsBecause of the bureaucracy, it takes months for the yearly budgets to get passed effectively leaving the labs to operate on no money during this period.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline!

I had great experience in NIH. The highest research institutes in US

Research Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at NIH as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsAccept any culuture, accept other country educational background

ConsI was luck to had opportunity worked at NIH

Worked with patient data to determine root causes of undiagnosed diseases.

Intern (Former Employee)
Bethesda, MD

I worked at NIH as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou are exposed to the most advanced research facilities available to scientists. As such, NIH attracts many bright minds that are always building on other's ideas. For the most part, schedule is not too intense.

ConsAs with any research facility, there are times when not too much is going on between projects and waiting for experiments to take place.

Great research opportunities, horrible standard of living for Postdocs

I have been working at NIH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsObviously, the NIH is probably one of the only places in the US where you can do cutting-edge biomedical research with fairly flexible budgets. For postdocs, they also provide opportunities to attend meetings, although this has decreased during my time here due to the budget crunch.

ConsThe salary for a postdoctoral fellow is absolutely horrible. I have been here for 5 years and we have had no pay increases, while the cost of living goes up and up and up. Living in the DC region on the pay they give is pretty much impossible unless you are willing to give up comfort - who works hard enough to get a PhD in order to do that? You had better be married with a second income, and preferably without children if you want to make it work. It is very depressing when there are technicians without anything beyond a Bachelor's Degree making twice what postdocs make, and they get benefits too.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should reward postdocs for their education and experience, not treat them like slaves. The NIH claims that the low salary is acceptable because of the training and prestige it provides - but in today's job market, that is not enough.

Amazing resources, encumbered by the bureaucracy of the government.

Fellow (Former Employee)

I worked at NIH full-time

ProsLots of people working at the top of their field, tons of resources both in equipment, materials, and people. It's all about finding a group of people and mentor you want to work with.

ConsVery difficult to fire people from the government, and as a result if can be inefficient and there are people there who just don't care at all.

Poor Management, excellent coworkers

Clinical Research Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at NIH full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIntellectual environment, interesting patient population

ConsLots of red tape, micromanagement

NIH is a great place to work.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)

I have been working at NIH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMany lab heads at NIH are leaders in their fields. The constant, desperate search for funding most scientists are familiar with is not an issue here. NIH has many resources available for career development.

ConsThere is more paperwork required to get some things done than at most universities. NIH is like a university campus with no students, so it lacks some of the qualities that a steady influx of optimistic young people brings to the lab environment.

Worked for NIH? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NIH reviews and ratings in Bethesda, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NIH CEO Francis S. Collins. All 129 reviews posted anonymously by NIH employees.