NIKE Reviews in Beaverton, OR

Updated October 17, 2014
3.9

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker
Mark G. Parker

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as long as your direct manager is on board too (in 63 reviews)

• It is a laid back work environment, but there is definite emphasis on getting the job done (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory open availability makes it hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours and late nights at work in order to communicate with overseas vendors (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

248 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome work in Nike

Current Employee - Senior Product Support Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Product Support Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great companny culture, innovative, democratic, no hierarchy, high motivation, listen to employees

Cons

No hifi technology used, less pain, no challenging task

Design Intern

Former Employee - Design Intern in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Design Intern in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great working environment, talented people.
    You can participate in lots of cool projects and awesome events.
    Also you have access to employee store, everything is 50% off.

Cons

You have to live Beaverton or Portland, Oregon. If you are familiar with that area, your life is gonna be very simple, nothing to do after work.

It´s ok these days...

Current Employee - Business Operations Director in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Business Operations Director in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Inspiring mission
    - Our CEO is amazing
    - Awesome campus if you get to work in campus...there are more employees working outside campus in Beaverton than inside campus
    - Average pay and average benefits. Not the highest pay in Oregon, not the lowest. The health benenits are ok, but not amazing for such a big employeer.
    - If you land in a good team, Nike is what it looks from the outside, amazing, but if you land in a bad team, well, you may ask "Is this Nike?"
    - Work/Life balance is good if you decide to push for it, but if you decide to put 80 hours a week, nobody will stop you.

Cons

- HR is one of the main issues. If you run into a problem with your manager and you can't solve it, HR does not want to get involved. HR will want you to talk to your manager and your manager's manager which means you walk into a conference room with two chains of command above you -and so for-, which means that if management wants to protect each other, you're in a pretty bad situation.
    - HR Recruiters. They're mostly a external workforce working all over the country. It used to be that the HR recruiters would do a very good job responding to internal and external applications. Not these days. The recruiting workforce is in a shared services model and the whole personal touch is lost.
    - Career management is not what it used to be. Career management used to be a big focus within the company and advancement was feasible. These days, the focus on career management has been lost & advancement is pretty challenging.

Revise your HR practices and make your HR services more employee oriented.

Fun company in Portland, Oregon area

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Summer hours provide opportunity to enjoy the beautiful Northwest summers. Corporate employees get annual public transportation pass. Sustainable conscious company. Employees seem to enjoy working here. Employee discount on cool sportswear and sneakers extended to immediate family and in-laws. Very nice facilities. If you’re young in your 20’s, great place to meet people.

Cons

Decisions tend to take longer with many consensus and politicking and layers of bureaucracy involved. Danger of getting pigeon-holed in your initial position. Really have to network to find other internal opportunities and be responsible for your own career development

Keep or start encouraging employees to be confident in making decisions and own the outcome. Whether succeed or fail, what was learned and how to improve is more important.

Best place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Color Designer I - Footwear in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Color Designer I - Footwear in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Progressive mindset, big on family and work/life balance. The benefits are amazing. Hot yoga during my lunch break? Yes please!

Cons

The very laid back attitude means you must be a self-starter, and some people don't ever seam to be
    'checked' on this. There are some people in roles who are not qualified to be there.

There is a lack of quality leadership skills in many of the people who are put in leadership roles.

A great way to experience a large multinational corporation with a real focus of brand experience and cultural identity.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I tell people that I could be doing my job anywhere, but the fact that I get to do it at Nike makes all the difference. the work culture and attention to keeping the brand experience relevant and central are second to none. There is a high amount of energy constantly flowing through the campus.This energy is coupled with a laid back atmosphere consisting of jeans and running shoes for work attire allowing for a sustainable work environment that keeps you going without burning you out too quickly. Even though there are a large amount of people working at the main campus it still feels like a small town in that you regularly see senior management walking about and still feel like you're in the thick of current Nike events and cultural milestones.

Cons

While the culture at Nike is well known for being vibrant and energetic it can be taken too far too often. the phrase "that's a great first step" is used regularly. The meaning behind it is that while you may be doing a great job there is always room for improvement. While the heart of this sentiment is genuine and productive it can breed a certain level of paranoia relating to one's self worth within the context of contribution to the company. You may never feel like you're doing well enough at your job and start to feel at risk of loosing it. With Nike's popularity, there's always someone willing to do you're job if you don't wan it or can't handle it. I have noticed several instances where the "there's always more to be done" mindset is taken too far and the work life balance that Nike advertises is thrown to one side.

I've had the privilege of experiencing Nike grow and adapt it's corporate culture for several years. My one piece of advice is to not lose sight of the founding reasons the company was built on. Stay focused on the passion for sport and not on the passion for image.

Liars

Former Employee - Can't Say At This Point - Sorry in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Can't Say At This Point - Sorry in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of fun working there until I found out the Cons

Cons

They lie to contractors about conversion to full time.
    They'll cut you off in a heartbeat if you max out on hours and force a 3 month furlow - even if in the middle of holidays.
    They'll prevent you from ever coming back if you say one bad word about them - even if true.
    ...and this is more pro-unlimited/Flex than Nike per say - nevertheless...
    I loved working there, they screwed me, I published the facts and they won't let me come back therefore.

Dump pro-unlimited.
    Live up to your promises to contractors on contract-to-hire.
    Don't say one thing's ok to do, then turn around and try to use it as a reason to end a contract.... i.e. working remotely, working long hours to complete a project in time... etc.

Cobblers kids have no shoes

Former Employee - Support Org in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Support Org in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great campus, if you can work on the main campus and not be moved. Product innovation, marketing leaders.

Cons

Support organizations, finance and accounting, human resources, facilities etc. struggle along due to poorly designed systems and business processes.

Invest in back of the house technology.

Fun place to work but low pay

Current Employee - Direct Procurement Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Direct Procurement Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Focus on fitness- you are encouraged to play a sport, work out etc
    Relaxed culture
    Beautiful campus

Cons

The salary is incredibly low especially for someone from a top 3 college
    No real profit sharing

Pay employees better

Mostly good, inside reality may be mind boggling

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Contractor pay is good if you work in Tech (IT). Projects are generally exciting and challenging. Most of projects I've experienced are fast-paced with aggressive timelines and Nike will provide any resource necessary to help you get the job done. Casual work attire is also a big plus. If you keep your heads down, focus on the work and not ask too many questions, you can stick around for a while.

Cons

Full-timers in several groups of Nike Tech severely lack technical competencies or solid skills. Most are there to play politics and climb ladders without owning any deliverables. Nike Tech brings in highly paid contractors to do the actual work because there's no talent internally due to the low salaries. There's a lot of politics involving FTE's vs. ETW's.

The new CIO should know this math well, hiring and retaining 1 employee who actually adds value for $100k a year is more efficient than paying 2 unskilled and incompetent employees for 50k a year.