NIKE

Updated December 23, 2014
4.0

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker
Mark G. Parker

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as long as your direct manager is on board too (in 70 reviews)

• the best part about working for Nike is the comfortable work environment (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory open availability makes it hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours but that is alleviate with good work (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Nike experience

I worked at NIKE

Pros

Multicultural enviroment, sporty lifestyle around the campus. Discount of product is a nice extra.

Cons

You are and will be just another work number@ the campus ... meet the deadline, get your targets and accept all the politics, constant reorganization and idea of working for Nike will still not want to make u stay. Overall good learning experience, but never again! Next time I will not get sold by the brand ...

Value your stuff, also temps! Don't just use talent and let go! Motivate and stick to your goals and promises !

Liars

Former Employee - Can't Say At This Point - Sorry in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Can't Say At This Point - Sorry in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of fun working there until I found out the Cons

Cons

They lie to contractors about conversion to full time.
    They'll cut you off in a heartbeat if you max out on hours and force a 3 month furlow - even if in the middle of holidays.
    They'll prevent you from ever coming back if you say one bad word about them - even if true.
    ...and this is more pro-unlimited/Flex than Nike per say - nevertheless...
    I loved working there, they screwed me, I published the facts and they won't let me come back therefore.

Dump pro-unlimited.
    Live up to your promises to contractors on contract-to-hire.
    Don't say one thing's ok to do, then turn around and try to use it as a reason to end a contract.... i.e. working remotely, working long hours to complete a project in time... etc.

Manager encouraged no OT pay

I worked at NIKE (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty nice environment, running trail around main campus, great cafeterias, close to shopping and access to employee store.

Cons

My first meeting with my team lead revolved around OT. He told me when he worked there as a contractor, he never billed for OT. He spoke to me and other members on the team, trying to get us to not bill for OT, despite working long hours. Also saw instances where they would take advantage of people on a VISA and also not pay fair wage or OT.

Manage the leads better. They should not be encouraging people to NOT get paid for OT. Also saw instances where they would take advantage of people on a VISA and also not pay fair wage or OT.

Constant bullying and pressure

I worked at NIKE

Pros

It's amazing discounts however with the premium price of shoes in comparison to the pay I can understand why..

All the team members on your level are friendly and keep the shifts entertaining to say the most

Cons

Terrible management. They do not know what they are doing.

They choose ridiculous locations for stores and fill these stores with old trainers I would never think about buying and wonder why we don't get a huge profit.

Management are constantly nagging you and pressurising you to do more and more and do not acknowledge one bit of success.. Feels like I'm back in school.

The management are bullies in abuse of their power.

The discount as I said is good but for premium priced shoes on a part time contract it's understandable why..!

No holidays ever.. Keep getting denied my holiday requests.

Hours are terrible. Both if you want more hours or less.. Stupid retails 4 hour shift pattern makes it a pain to balance school/college & having a social life..!

Again the management are abusive to other staff behind their backs and there is a lot and lot of sneaky comments about people's personal lives and work ethics in store.. It really is a very manipulative and bullying atmosphere where If you don't stand up you will be trodden on & if you do stand up for yourself you will be cautious about losing your job.

Furthermore when a member of staff complained to higher powers the higher power told the manager and made this employees life hell.

Management need more training and need to stop putting so much pressure on staff as without these staff they would be nothing.

Listen to your team members.

I have been extremely honest in this review.

If you want to work for nike be prepared to be made to feel like a child.

just don't

Former Employee - Senior Security Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Security Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

most folks I met at Nike were ambitious, intelligent, and driven

Cons

despite a lot of lip service suggesting that individuals can make a difference and should look for new ways to improve processes and policies, it's actually frowned on to be over ambitious or to "create work for oneself."

learn the real meaning of work/life balance & practice what you preach

Factory Store

I have been working at NIKE

Pros

Discount and meeting new people

Cons

They didn't care about you, you are easily replaceable

How NOT to keep good people...

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at NIKE full-time

Pros

Nice campus, decent gym, good 401k plan.

Cons

By far many of the WORST managers work at this company. The ones I ran across (and there were MANY) simply had no idea as to what the company's' strategic plans are, how their group fit into the picture or how to actually lead (vs. manage) their staff. Lack of vision, inability to read above the 6th grade level and lack of empathy for employees (especially contractors) makes this place not much more than just a sweatshop. No support in career planning and advancement, no training unless you are willing to do it on personal time, and lips service by the "good ol'l boys network in the norm here. If you are a minority, female or over 40 expect to be pushed aside by people who are way less qualified than you.expect to

For goodness sake - get your heads out of your rear! Look around at the rest of the employees you have on staff and try to actually USE their talents and experience. You have WAY too many "frat boys" running the place and little, if any, who know how to actually run a business and get things done without wasting so much time and money! Stop wondering at why so MANY senior level professionals leave Nike so soon after they start!

Nike Tech Contractors Treated Unprofessionally

I worked at NIKE

Pros

Great Nike Tech campus, good pay, flexible hours.

Cons

Inexperienced Directors, flawed leadership. Nike Tech ETW contractors are demeaned and treated unprofessionally. High contractor turnover.

Train your Directors.

Worse company ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilversum (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilversum (Netherlands)

I worked at NIKE full-time

Pros

- Looks good on your CV. Nike invests millions in marketing and the brand image is excellent. Outsiders have no clue what working at Nike really means.
    - Good perks / Onsite gym
    - Good place if your priorities lie outside of work, if you do not care about your job or work ethics and are there to take advantage of the perks and flexibility. In other words: if you "fit in".

Cons

The culture is awful. Most people working at Nike for a few years have absolutely no ethics.
    Incompetence is rewarded and cronyism is the norm in this company. The ones who benefit from it are very proud of this "Nike way", the others become disillusioned and leave.

Nothing is based on merit at Nike, the ONLY thing that matters is your ability to befriend the "right" people.
    The company culture favors unethical managers: lazy, uninspired, ignoring their responsibilities and their teams, gradually pushing well-meaning, high-performing employees into depression and, worst of all, getting rewarded for lying about their results and having connections.

Thanks to their network, these incompetent managers move from one role to another and continue to make the company lose money and valuable employees years after years. Their own managers do not care: they are playing exactly the same political game.
    Employees never get the opportunity to give feedback. If they dare to open their mouths, they are bullied and discriminated against by their manager and his friends until they leave the company.

Despite all this nonsense, Nike continues to make a lot of money and to have a good image thanks to a clever marketing strategy, but don't be fooled: this is one of the worst, most unethical places you can work at.

If you are professional, want to perform and eventually grow: don’t go work at Nike. That would be a waste of your time and energy.

Let employees rate their managers and get rid of the rotten apples (they would ever do that...)
    Take you responsibilities and ensure that factory workers get enough money to live decently. It's a shame to make so much profit and let so many people suffer.

Used to wonder why many people would quit, now i know

Former Employee - Athlete in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Athlete in Chicago, IL

I worked at NIKE part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you meet great people
    great discount
    good family discount
    great uniforms
    meet many interesting people
    Celebrities walk in often
    fun events

Cons

hard work goes unnoticed
    managers think they're better
    no respect to those who have worked there longer
    Don't listen to employee ideas that can make things better
    no training but expect you to know everything
    managers have favorites
    Slim chances of moving up unless popular
    politics reign above skill
    managers are rude sometimes

Try to talk to a few employees to see how things really are. Managers ruin the company by having favorites because there are many people who are passionate about your product and work extremely hard for their paycheck but yet, they go unnoticed and unappreciated.