NIKE

Updated August 21, 2014

3.9

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker
Mark G. Parker

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as long as your direct manager is on board too (in 57 reviews)

• It is a laid back work environment, but there is definite emphasis on getting the job done (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have a family it can be difficult to manage work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours and late nights at work in order to communicate with overseas vendors (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Nike is an Inspiring fast paced and challenging environment where you work with talented people and do amazing things.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Pros

You are being challenged everyday and you have the tools to make great things happen. You are working for such a powerful brand name that you always have a foot in the door and instant respect. Very diverse environment with people from all over the world. Young people, energized people, talented people. Facilities are second to none, amazing campus with healthy food and sports opportunities

Cons

The job is very demanding and you have to be on top of your game every single day, this can also be viewed as a plus. Nike has a matrix organization so you have to be able to deal with different levels in management teams and consider every stakeholder before making key decisions that can affect others. As there is so much talent inside Nike and so many talented people trying to get into Nike, nobody is impressed easily. You have to be super amazing to make a good impression, Nike's standard is perfection, everything less than the best, is not even worth mentioning. I love it.

360 Feedback for all Managers with Direct Reports.

Great job for people going to college or high school...

Current Employee - Full-Time Athlete  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Full-Time Athlete in Boston, MA

Pros

The staff dress (uniforms, shoes, walkies,etc...) and they discount (30% off Nike factory stores and other Nike "owned" companies, 40% Niketowns) on all products including markdowns. Some fellow athletes and coaches will become your friends for life because you go through the same up and downs company-wise. Therefore you might be able to relate to them and the bonds you will create be well above school or college bonds. I met people some people from my city, and/or my school and we have become closer than if we were just schoolmates or good neighbors. Some managers will really look out for you, because they know you're a team. Some of them are also are very patient. Also, if people like you at Nike, you will get great support from them which is always a good thing because you never know when you'll have a bad day and mess up on things. There are other perks working at Nike especially if there are restaurants surrounding your store. I have discounts in some restaurants because I work for Nike (but you must realize this is not common with all Nike stores). It depends on the business or partnership (coupons and gifts) between a restaurant owner and your coaches.

Cons

Favoritism is very noticeable at Nike. I'm lucky because people love me for my personality because I'm naturally cool, therefore I have great support from my fellow athletes. But I seen people who work at Nike and don't get along with athletes and the majority of the coach. Consequently, they are seen as outcast and people don't even acknoledge their existence when they need help performing a team project. This will help me introduce the next topic which is" high school or freshman college mentality".The culture in a store setting is very much like this. Since many of the people you will meet st Nike are from the same "current" school, they will form cliques and act just like they were misfits or brats at "school". These kids have no work ethics. You will hear, see a lot of gossiping from such people. These kind of people won't hesitate to backstab you in front of your leads and coaches because you simply don't share the same views. The more mature and stable ones (21+) are great to be around with. Sometimes, you will be surprised see leads and coached act like high school brats and immature college or graduate people. It happens... Rather, you need to realize that you will experience high school and freshman college mentality in your store and that's a fact. Unless, you have the perfect personas all engulf in you store. Even the perfect High school in "high school musical" showed cliques, favoritism, and backstabing are a regular thing even in the best schools. And A Nike store (factory or town) is like a big school where the only difference is you get paid. With this in mind, you will be able to endure since you get paid to deal with chronic psychos and bipolar people. Some of your coaches will be really immature. They will have their bad days and will direct that negative energy to coworkers who haven't done anything wrong. And if a coach or lead doesn't like you, it will be hard for you to move up or be protected against those who don't and will never like you (yeah this happens too, and for no reasons). They want the privilege to be called managers and yet they still act like (Say it with me!) "high school brats and freshman college kids". A great person once said, I'll paraphrase: "You want to know a person's true character, give them power".

Grow up and acts like professionals. We're not in high school anymore. Take the time to listen to athletes when they want to justify and action rather then arguing like we're kids. Professionals take the time to listen their employees and, above all, they treat them as equal. Walking with a different attire/"staff dress", a clipboard and coach gadgets doesn't make you everything you do or say right. Rate athletes based on their perfomance rather than popularity. If we were not popular, some of us would already get fired because not everyone works hard. They just take advantage of the fact it's a great company and they can either be a ghost or a bell on a baby's pacifier. Do your job, and get rewarded with a faithful staff because at the end of the day, the staff is the coach's best asset.

This is the greatest company to work for!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

Amazing company! Great products, great perks- 401K, employee stock purchase plan, great health benefits. They care about their employees and encourage a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

There are no cons for working for this company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

N/A

Pros

Paid well after being there for a long time. Good benefits if your full time.

Cons

A lot of favoritism, what matters most is who you know and not how hard you work.

the store level is not the place to work

Pros

Compensation is good, and at higher levels, one can have a pretty good work/life balance.

Cons

Ethics come into consideration at the store level. Many managers and DM's are about self-preservation. If you can work at corporate, do so.

Does not pay attention to employees

Current Employee - Finance  in  Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Finance in Beaverton, OR

Pros

Overworked no work life balance no organization whatsoever

Cons

In a global economy the employees is your advantage. Nike does not get this. When they do it might be too late. They do not listen ( not even try) to their employees.

Get a grip on the pulse from the inside.

Good beginning job

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Centralia, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Centralia, WA

Pros

For specials sales we would be given free things to advertise. Staff is friendly.

Cons

Some of the management was weird. I got talked to once for helping a customer for too long.

Great company

Current Employee - Nike Athlete  in  Destin, FL
    Current Employee - Nike Athlete in Destin, FL

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. You wear work out clothes to work. Flexible schedule. Free clothes and shoes.

Cons

Work with teenagers that have no work ethic. Hard to move up because no one leaves the company.

More training and one and ones with employees so they know what their areas of improvement are.

it was a alright place to work

Pros

good hours, great discounts and you get alot of benefit

Cons

managers werent good and always complained when you are doing your job

Work & Life Balance

Pros

Powerful Brand, respectful people, really good Package & Pay.

Cons

Lack of Future Growth due to small organization

Worked for NIKE? Contribute to the Community!