NIKE

Employer Engaged

Good benefits, poor management

Former Employee - Nike Athlete in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Nike Athlete in Ontario, CA

I worked at NIKE part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best things about work in the retail division was flexibility of the scheduling. As a student, I really appreciated that they were willing to work with my school schedule. The employee discount is very nice especially around the holidays. The community was tight knit and felt like a family. I learned a lot about myself while I worked there and I believe Nike had a lot to do with that. The lessons you learn there can not only be used during your time working, but also in your everyday life. My personal growth through Nike was a very rewarding experience.

Cons

There didn't seem to be a lot of opportunities to move up within the company (retail to corporate). The leadership at the store was subpar and at times unprofessional. There was no apparent checks and balances system with the leadership of the store and the people above them. The management were more inclined to go with quick fixes rather than going to the source of the problem. Things get hectic over the holiday season. Do not be surprised if you end up working a 10 hour shift of Black Friday.

The leadership needs to be checked and there needs to be less favoritism within the store when hiring/filling new position. They should be better at anticipating problems that may occur and remedy them as quick as possible. There needs to be more focus on setting their employees up for success in and out of the workplace.

No Direction

Former Contractor - Production Support Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Former Contractor - Production Support Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Talented developers. My manager was great – very friendly, personable, and easy to work with. The bike share is pretty cool.

Cons

Location is in Beaverton, so if you live in Portland, you'll either be driving or taking MAX and a long walk along a busy street. No restaurants nearby unless you like Nike's expensive company cafeteria. Nike puts their developers and technology people in the "West Campus", which is a bunch of ugly buildings surrounded by surface parking – a stark contrast to the nice main campus surrounded by a lake. This sends a subtle message to Nike's technology people: Nike is a shoe company and technology is a distant afterthought.

Upper management gives virtually zero direction on where they'd like the department to go. When asked for clarification, they will tell you to work with other colleagues and figure out what they do. The only problem is these colleagues typically are too busy, provide confusing information, or flat out refuse to help. I started out as a brand new team and was told to invent processes and SOPs, then was criticized for the choices I made. Frequently, I was reprimanded after the fact for not doing something, when I was never told beforehand that this needed to be done.

Support teams are given virtually zero notice of releases. Typically there is a few hours notice of finding out you'll have to stay until midnight. Other times, no notice whatsoever is given, then the support teams are reprimanded for not being at the release that they were never informed of. Teams are expected to just know things without being told.

Upper management actively plays favorites. Directors can be seen conversing with certain managers, then when other managers show up, they suddenly get quiet. Certain managers are given special treatment and assistance, while others are left to fend for themselves. There is a ton of backstabbing going on – one director was planning on dismantling a team while that team's manager was out on vacation. Directors actively antagonize employees by having surprise meetings where they threaten them with termination. Other managers that they don't like are forced out of their roles.

Give your engineers more direction. "Just do it" doesn't work for software or support – you need detailed specs and SOPs to get the most out of your developers.

nike is cool

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Deer Park, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Deer Park, NY

I have been working at NIKE

Pros

discounts on goods and stuff

Cons

work is boring and stuff

pay more

Falls Short

Former Contractor - Production Artist in Beaverton, OR
    Former Contractor - Production Artist in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Campus, Promotes Healthy Lifestyle, Manageable Workloads, Good Team Environment, Health Benefits, Every-10-Year Sabbaticals

Cons

Social Clicks, Attitude, Favorites, Inequality amongst Women / Minorities, Strict Codes of Conduct, Discounts Are Still Expensive, Long Commute, Unsanitary Restrooms (Men), Difficult to Move Up in Company, Immoral Business Ethics when it comes to product development; I've personally heard from poorly treated factory workers in other countries, Too Big to Fail

Less management staff and more trust amongst creatives. Treat Employees equally regardless of Age, Race, Sex, or Geography. Keep up the great work promoting healthy lifestyle but push beyond what's physical and consider fostering a global welfare industry.

Nike- Typical Big Corporation

Former Employee - Nike Athlete in Queenstown, MD
    Former Employee - Nike Athlete in Queenstown, MD

I worked at NIKE part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employees and nice. The stores are clean and organized. Other than that there are no other pros that I can think of.

Cons

Management is terrible. You are treated more like a number than a person. They do not work with your schedule. I am a student and was expected to have 30 hours a week available although I was hired as part time under 20 hours a week.

Work with people's schedule and treat employees like people.

Wouldn't do twice

Current Employee - Nike Athlete in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Nike Athlete in Eagan, MN

I have been working at NIKE

Pros

Pays well, Free Nike clothes around every three months, can work good hours if allowed

Cons

managers are not in touch with athletes, strict rules on shift swapping, very intense setting, not fun.

Cool product and exciting company, but an illusion.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NIKE

Pros

Meeting world class athletes, getting to be part of the world of sports. Good starter job

Cons

Terrible corporate responsibility, devalues employees

Promotions should be considered by education level, performance based, and by skills- not simply by seniority.

sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at NIKE part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexable hours, promotions within the company

Cons

management unprofessional, irresponsible managers

Great opportunity, long hours.

I have been working at NIKE

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Exciting company to be a part of...opportunity for advancement.

Cons

During the peak seasons (which consists of 3-6 months out of the year) be prepared to work 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week.

Solid

Former Employee - PTO Sales Athlete in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - PTO Sales Athlete in Chandler, AZ

I worked at NIKE

Pros

Discount is great.
    People are usually friendly
    Staying busy

Cons

Pay is low
    If a good manager leaves it can go downhill very fast

Higher better managers