NIKE Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

3.9

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker
Mark G. Parker

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as long as your direct manager is on board too (in 57 reviews)

• It is a laid back work environment, but there is definite emphasis on getting the job done (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have a family it can be difficult to manage work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours and late nights at work in order to communicate with overseas vendors (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

World-class career experience, a very proud company with employees who love their job and do fulfilling work.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Intern in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Incredible perks and an encouraged work-life balance.

Cons

Wasteful spending and consumption. At moments, an over-the-top materialistic company culture.

Less meetings. More action.

It has been OK. Not many hours to be given to part-timers

Current Employee - Nike Athlete
    Current Employee - Nike Athlete

I have been working at NIKE part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great sports environment. I love Nike and its great to be around the product.

Cons

not a lot of hours

Teach the Athletes and be more interactive

Great job for people going to college or high school...

Current Employee - Full-Time Athlete  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Full-Time Athlete in Boston, MA

I have been working at NIKE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The staff dress (uniforms, shoes, walkies,etc...) and they discount (30% off Nike factory stores and other Nike "owned" companies, 40% Niketowns) on all products including markdowns. Some fellow athletes and coaches will become your friends for life because you go through the same up and downs company-wise. Therefore you might be able to relate to them and the bonds you will create be well above school or college bonds. I met people some people from my city, and/or my school and we have become closer than if we were just schoolmates or good neighbors. Some managers will really look out for you, because they know you're a team. Some of them are also are very patient. Also, if people like you at Nike, you will get great support from them which is always a good thing because you never know when you'll have a bad day and mess up on things. There are other perks working at Nike especially if there are restaurants surrounding your store. I have discounts in some restaurants because I work for Nike (but you must realize this is not common with all Nike stores). It depends on the business or partnership (coupons and gifts) between a restaurant owner and your coaches.

Cons

Favoritism is very noticeable at Nike. I'm lucky because people love me for my personality because I'm naturally cool, therefore I have great support from my fellow athletes. But I seen people who work at Nike and don't get along with athletes and the majority of the coach. Consequently, they are seen as outcast and people don't even acknoledge their existence when they need help performing a team project. This will help me introduce the next topic which is" high school or freshman college mentality".The culture in a store setting is very much like this. Since many of the people you will meet st Nike are from the same "current" school, they will form cliques and act just like they were misfits or brats at "school". These kids have no work ethics. You will hear, see a lot of gossiping from such people. These kind of people won't hesitate to backstab you in front of your leads and coaches because you simply don't share the same views. The more mature and stable ones (21+) are great to be around with. Sometimes, you will be surprised see leads and coached act like high school brats and immature college or graduate people. It happens... Rather, you need to realize that you will experience high school and freshman college mentality in your store and that's a fact. Unless, you have the perfect personas all engulf in you store. Even the perfect High school in "high school musical" showed cliques, favoritism, and backstabing are a regular thing even in the best schools. And A Nike store (factory or town) is like a big school where the only difference is you get paid. With this in mind, you will be able to endure since you get paid to deal with chronic psychos and bipolar people. Some of your coaches will be really immature. They will have their bad days and will direct that negative energy to coworkers who haven't done anything wrong. And if a coach or lead doesn't like you, it will be hard for you to move up or be protected against those who don't and will never like you (yeah this happens too, and for no reasons). They want the privilege to be called managers and yet they still act like (Say it with me!) "high school brats and freshman college kids". A great person once said, I'll paraphrase: "You want to know a person's true character, give them power".

Grow up and acts like professionals. We're not in high school anymore. Take the time to listen to athletes when they want to justify and action rather then arguing like we're kids. Professionals take the time to listen their employees and, above all, they treat them as equal. Walking with a different attire/"staff dress", a clipboard and coach gadgets doesn't make you everything you do or say right. Rate athletes based on their perfomance rather than popularity. If we were not popular, some of us would already get fired because not everyone works hard. They just take advantage of the fact it's a great company and they can either be a ghost or a bell on a baby's pacifier. Do your job, and get rewarded with a faithful staff because at the end of the day, the staff is the coach's best asset.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

the store level is not the place to work

I worked at NIKE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation is good, and at higher levels, one can have a pretty good work/life balance.

Cons

Ethics come into consideration at the store level. Many managers and DM's are about self-preservation. If you can work at corporate, do so.

N/A

I have been working at NIKE

Pros

Paid well after being there for a long time. Good benefits if your full time.

Cons

A lot of favoritism, what matters most is who you know and not how hard you work.

Does not pay attention to employees

Current Employee - Finance  in  Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Finance in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overworked no work life balance no organization whatsoever

Cons

In a global economy the employees is your advantage. Nike does not get this. When they do it might be too late. They do not listen ( not even try) to their employees.

Get a grip on the pulse from the inside.

it was a alright place to work

I worked at NIKE

Pros

good hours, great discounts and you get alot of benefit

Cons

managers werent good and always complained when you are doing your job

part time athlete

Former Employee - Part-time Athlete  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Part-time Athlete in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NIKE part-time for less than a year

Pros

The opportunity of learning the science behind the shoes.

Cons

The management was not the best, it was very much like high school.

It's like college all over again!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great discount, brand loyalty.

Cons

It felt like college, clicks, cool kids work on campus, everyone else works outside of campus. For such a well recognized global organization it was interesting how unproductive departments can be. Lots of egos!

Hold people accountable, set high expectations, train, and be inclusive of new employees.

NIKE System Analyst

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at NIKE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well paid, not very stressful

Cons

Very boring, routine work everyday

Worked for NIKE? Contribute to the Community!