NIKE

Updated December 20, 2014
4.0

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker
Mark G. Parker

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as long as your direct manager is on board too (in 70 reviews)

• the best part about working for Nike is the comfortable work environment (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory open availability makes it hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours but that is alleviate with good work (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Fun Workplace

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount, in store partys, personal growth, training classes on merchandise

Cons

Consumer traffic, cleaning up the mess, slow shoe delivery system

Endless promotion/hiring of bad bosses by hiring only "technically" smart people that have ZERO leadership skills.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, however, people seem stressed out with the politics and extra time it takes to make something move or happen.

Cons

Employees that gossip seem to rise up because poor managers believe that gossip so good people are rated unfairly in the CFE process. I cried a lot towards the end. Never felt appreciated for the good.

Hire REAL managers that can actually lead and inspire! They may not have ALL the exact technical skills but they know how to LEAD a team, inspire PASSION and RESULTS. Good managers grow employees - not glorify mistakes.

Great Company But Store Management Sucks!

Current Employee - Floor Athlete in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Floor Athlete in Washington, DC

I have been working at NIKE part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Honestly, Nike is a great company outside of the store. The benefits are great and who can beat the 40% discount.

Cons

Upward movement within the company is very hard at the store level. Management has there favorites and only look out for them.

Get to know your staff what they want to do outside of Nike or how they want to grow within Nike. Create avenues to allow them to foster and develop on becoming greater inside and outside of the store. Stop selling dreams, there are a lot of great people that work within the store level that will never shine because you won't give them a chance to.

Overrated Experience---Too Many Egomaniacs

Former Employee - Director in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Director in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employee discount on product, casual dress (just don't wear anything but Nike.....)

Cons

There are many. Most people spend their time manipulating or undermining business processes in an unproductive manner. There are an excessive number of meetings and 75% of them do not resolve issues. Communication is weak and there is NO trust of senior management. Mark Parker, CEO, sent out a series of internal communication for the big layoff in 2009. None of his "assurances" were true. It was obvious age discrimination was a main deciding factor and the layoffs were done under the guise of the economic downturn. Nike was sneaky and navigated its way to getting rid of many great employees. The trust was broken. I told Parker this to his face and he was obviously not interested in hearing this.

Quit being so greedy. The Nike culture is overrated and is more about individual greed. The BS about brand management is all about padding your own pockets with more individual income rather than shareholder value. There are still many employees including several VP's and senior level Finance people (including the EMEA CFO) who absconded thousands of $ under the table selling samples. There is no statute of limitations on tax evasion for hiding earned income.

Excellent Energy with some bad links.

Current Employee - Sales Athlete in Birch Run, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Athlete in Birch Run, MI

I have been working at NIKE part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The awesome discount is always a plus. The quality of the clothing is always the best. I grew up with wearing Nike and I would never stray way from the brand itself.

Cons

The actual level of work you do vs. the amount you are actually paid is way off. Not even close to comparable. Its says to see such hard workers get treated so horrible.

Take care of you employees before yourself and think about them when opportunities come to rise up in the business, especially if they deserve it. You have to many good quality workers that don't want to come to work even though they love Nike.

Sales Athlete Position @ Nike Outlet Store

Former Employee - Sales Athlete in Woodburn, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Athlete in Woodburn, OR

I worked at NIKE part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was a part-time sales athlete during the summer at a popular Nike Outlet. I have always been passionate about Nike and loved selling products that I had a personal connection with. Nike is beyond generous in their employee benefits, including unlimited access to the Employee Store (Now called Nike Company Store) as well as swoosh.com, their online employee store. I was given a free pair of shoes upon hire and our employee wear was updated every three months.

Cons

I found many employees to be snobby simply because they worked for Nike. While the company is well respected and produce incredible products, some employees seemed "too cool" and didn't value customer service. I noticed this trend more specifically in some experienced employees on the floor who were friendly with management on a social level. I found management to choose their favorites among employees, it felt like a popularity contest at times.

Management should establish a social connection with employees while still remaining professional. I felt that management sometimes took this friendliness a bit too far and were biased in choosing which employees they liked. Perhaps I didn't receive much attention since I was only a 3 month worker but it would be nice to feel comfortable around management staff which I did not.

Good company

I worked at NIKE part-time

Pros

Employee discount, fun atmosphere to work in

Cons

lots of part time positions available, not many full time

Love it
    Easy to get along with
    Nice people

I worked at NIKE

Pros

Very cultural establishment and people are superb

Cons

Sometimes long hours but that is alleviate with good work

Love it

Great overall company.

I worked at NIKE

Pros

Everybody earns a quarterly bonus. Employee discount is amazing!!!

Cons

Slow career advancement. No communication with upper management.

Great Company

Former Employee - Athlete in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Athlete in New York, NY

I worked at NIKE part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nike holds a lot of events which employees can be a part of, room for growth and development depending how you apply yourself. Meet many great people as well. Benefits are good, if your are full time.

Cons

Pay is average, not outstanding considering its a huge company. Hours are hard to come by, based on business needs. Use to be fun to work for, parties, employee events, better perks but have noticed a decline in "employee appreciation".