NIKE

Updated December 20, 2014
4.0

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker
Mark G. Parker

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as long as your direct manager is on board too (in 70 reviews)

• the best part about working for Nike is the comfortable work environment (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory open availability makes it hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours but that is alleviate with good work (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

It is a very fun environment to work with.

Current Employee - Nike Athlete in Aurora, OH
    Current Employee - Nike Athlete in Aurora, OH

I have been working at NIKE part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working with my team members. Everyone is extremely nice and welcoming.

Cons

It is a very fast paced environment, therefore you need to be on your A game.

Open more internship opportunities.

Remember the Man

Former Employee - Footwear Coach
    Former Employee - Footwear Coach

I worked at NIKE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company for work life balance. The company offers great perks and has a lot to offer the employees. Salary and benefits are amazing.

Cons

if you don't know someone to get you the job it is ten times harder to get the job. Value of knowledge not as high as knowing someone in the business.

Easy job

I have been working at NIKE

Pros

Discount, flexible hours, good coworkers

Cons

high turn over rate, pay

NIke Inc. / NFL

Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Suffolk, VA
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Suffolk, VA

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong corporate culture and values. Great sense of belonging to a team. Pay according to job title is fairly decent. Lots of benefits and perks.

Cons

At my facility there are only five employees so it's hard to say this about the company as a whole. Not very much room for promotion at my location, unless I move to Memphis or Oregon. My job demands that I go above and beyond the tasks of my job title. I would say my proper job title should be Logistics Specialist which would call for a significant pay increase. I do however, get paid pretty well compared to the average salary of an Inventory Control in my area. We get a good sized bonus once a year which is based of off PSP (profit sharing program). Management is very caring about the well-being of the employees. Plenty of PTO.

Managers should be more knowledgeable of the tasks performed by their employees. I learned most of my job through emails and phone calls to separate departments in other states.

Pros and Cons of Nike

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are very important to Nike community. The pay may be a little low based on how much you go through but the end the benefits, people and life-work balance pays off.

Cons

Pay is to low for the amount of work

Nike provided invaluable experience in leadership and constantly innovating to be the best.

Former Employee - Nike Athlete in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Nike Athlete in Denver, CO

I worked at NIKE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is pretty incredible. It felt like a family jnstead of a group of coworkers.

Cons

It was difficult to move up due to a lack of opportunities in my geographical region.

Fun Place to work with good people

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in Gilroy, CA
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in Gilroy, CA

I worked at NIKE part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun work atmosphere with lots of energy. You get a Quarterly bonus.

Cons

New management made scheduling less flexible. Some drama with employees. Some of the leads are lazy and do not pull their weight. Shipping room always packed with no space. Can be stressful

Fun easy going work environment

Former Employee - Sales Athlete in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Athlete in Orlando, FL

I worked at NIKE part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Comfortable uniform free shoes great discounts

Cons

Some mangers are rude and overbearing

Design Intern

Former Employee - Design Intern in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Design Intern in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great working environment, talented people.
    You can participate in lots of cool projects and awesome events.
    Also you have access to employee store, everything is 50% off.

Cons

You have to live Beaverton or Portland, Oregon. If you are familiar with that area, your life is gonna be very simple, nothing to do after work.

Nike is great! Digital Tech is horrible :-(

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people. Best brand in the world. Great amenities for your kids like childcare and swim lessons. Really fast paced and exciting projects. Mark Parker knows what he is doing. Nike is really progressive on gay rights and I loved athlete asterisk, which is if you have a body you are an athlete! You will meet world famous athletes on a fairly regular basis. We have hit bonus every year I have worked here. Nike on your resume opens a lot of doors.

Cons

There are some negative middle management individuals in Digital Tech that are creating a war path behind them. Chris Satchell has a good vision and is a good leader, but I don't know how quickly he can root out a culture of hiding information, bullying and sidelining some really good people by a few very bad apples. It's a total boys network. If you work in Digital Tech, it's like you are second class citizen and that makes me sad for Nike. They never promote within. It's total chaos, but it is kind of stablizing over time. You will work overnights and very long hours to make up for management's lack of pro-active planning in earlier phases of projects. Nike is a "yes" culture, so there is not any true prioritizing of road maps--they just abuse employees to get it all done. They are quick to remind you that Nike gets 20,000 resumes every day and you are completely disposable. Digital Tech recycles contractors as a way of having fall guys for full time employees that do not perform.

Overall Nike Inc. management is good. Digital Tech needs to look at retention rates and do exit interviews about why people are leaving. There is so much potential, but change is needed to attract and keep good talent.