NIKSUN

NIKSUN Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

NIKSUN Chairman and CEO Dr. Parag Pruthi

Dr. Parag Pruthi

Pros:
  • "Employees are regularly involved with cutting edge technology and the daily challenges that necessarily arise"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Very smart people working on leading edge technology"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The upper management have got too cozy and they play all sort of games"
    in 8 reviews
  • "partners are leaving and sales department has a horrifying turnover rate"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ability to Learn

ProsYou are able to learn a lot do to the wide diversity of products that they make and offer to clients

Consexpected to know everything with very little background info. Need to take more time with new hires to provide them with training

Advice to Senior Managementthe pay could be a little better

overall satisfied

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsFlexible Work Schedules, fun activities, Great Products, 2 weeks’ vacation to start and the people are driven and enjoyable to be around.

ConsSales people are held with such praise and focus others are left out. Suppose that is how a sales oriented organization is. No 401k matching.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider starting a 401k matching plan!

Not just a good product, but also good people within

ProsToo many negative comments so I decided to write the truth. I can speak for the whole team when I say it is a great environment where I am at. Great group of coworkers offshore and on-site with no egos. We have a director who does not micromanage and knows what he's doing plus he keep us occupied and out of trouble. He goes to bat for us, treats us with respect , provide us with good on-board training, shield us from all the negativity and puts us in a position where we are happy and successful. Prior to joining Niksun, I have worked for a handful of managers, but I would follow my current director anywhere he goes and is the sole reason why I came here. There are only a few managers in company that can actually manage, and my group has been fortunate to be under his leadership and hope he continues to lead us years to come. Other post said there is no management except the one in our group but I disagree. There is a Support group that have more people with longer tenure. In some instances they actually function much better than ours because they have more processes established. For sure, his staff speak highly of him and I have had the pleasure to interface with the director of Support and I must say he's a delight to work with.

ConsNo pension or 401k match. Certain departments need to improve their communication. Not much employee appreciation outside of my group and too much finger pointing!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what ex-employees say here. Employees and applicants do visit and read what is said. Try accepting the criticisms and turn them into a learning experience to make a real difference for a change. Strong middle management means good communications throughout.
    Things are getting better so keep up the good work!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Result Oriented

Developer (Current Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsVery flexible schedule; Niksun cares about results, not adherence to an artificially determined work day. Fun and joviality is encouraged and seen as an important aspect of team building. As others have mentioned, NIKSUN has great technology and dedicated employees that really care about each other, the company and the product they work on.

ConsAs with many companies, micro-management can be a concern. Although NIKSUN’s schedule is flexible as to when you work, employees regularly work more than 8 hour days and working from home is not a common practice and must be approved by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider changing the work from home policy.

Bad career move

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsSome smart, decent people working there.

ConsPoor organization, no software engineering rigor (never saw a requirements or design document they don't exist) very much a hackers software development culture. Very bad communication at all levels I was exposed to. No training or mentoring. Bad morale, high turnover. Really, really glad when I left

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to give, they would not listen as they already know everything. Or so it seems...

New Employee review for my new Employer

ProsNIKSUN scores very high because it has created a free/flexible work environment, where management/supervision is administered like a round table rather than from the top down. This allows employees to take ownership of tasks. The benefit is often communication amongst the peer group and cross-functional department.

ConsThere is no real product training. Training should be interactive with working case scenario's and labs to reproduce network threat situations. Documentation and support department instructional guides should be more precise and easily accessible from a single point of reference.

Advice to Senior ManagementBrown bag monthly meetings/presentations, where each month a different department presents/discusses new developments that will enhance external and internal offerings. Six month to a year peer mentoring program for new employees.

Something Special

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsThe other posts on this site are just wrong! Soon after joining the company, I knew I was home. Management goes out of its way to create a congenial environment, and even has some fun, for example, Employee Appreciation Day was held on 3/14….PI Day! New thoughts are encouraged, and novel thinking is always encouraged.

ConsWork weeks are always 40+ hours. It isn’t a requirement or part of any policy, but working with technology demands that you work on deadlines and work until the job is done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven how hard we work, consider giving more vacation and/or holidays.

Optimistic

ProsGreat work environment, nice coworkers. Flexibility with time and important matters to employees. Facilities and location are great. The company appears to be heading in the right directions overall.

ConsCommunication between departments needs to be worked on, more training classes on how to interpret data info. Benefits can be better; they are getting worse over the years.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust better communication between departments

NIKSUN _ A Good company to work with

Princeton, NJ

ProsLeading edge company with a staff of industy leading staff and a comprehensive product suite to meet the needs of multiple service provider and business needs. Strong growth and financial postion relatvie to its competition.

ConsA high demand high stress environment, some of it a direct result of the company's growth propects and an unsatisfied need for more professionals and multiple skill sets.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a more organized and targeted hiring and retention plan. Expand beyond work to involve employees and their families to create the extended harmony and trust across the board.

Where people's careers go to die

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsMy colleagues were some of the most wonderful people I will meet ever. The individual teams were truly like little families, and will cherish them forever. I still meet with them on times. The location is one of the best and many tech companies are here also.

ConsManagement, structure, micromanagement, attitude towards employees, personal problems infiltrating into company environment, did I mention management? They are horrible people! I am stunned seeing so many positive reviews, then I think it is probably HR trying to make the company look better. Some may be genuine...from those who are higher up and treated like royalty. The Indian caste system mentality is brought to this company, and a caste system definitely exists. There is favoritism, and whatever someone else said about how the company feels a voice when someone leaves the company and they are a family and they are welcomed back if they return - it is absolutely not true. The CEO has been noted to say that those who leave just don't have what it takes to be in this company, and they are lesser individuals than those who stay. All it means is some people can stand to be walked over more than others. Did I mention turnover rate? Whatever you think is bad, this company promises to top. The only happiness you get in the company is IF your direct manager happens to be better than upper management. They will protect you as much as possible. Otherwise, good luck. This is the place people's careers go to die. Good luck reviving your career if you go here. You are more likely to get let go, and if you don't, you will doubt your career choice so much, you may think you cannot do it anymore. This place is dark, and horrible.

Did I mention- HORRIBLE salaries? Only when I got my next position did I realize how GROSSLY underpaid I was. It is really bad. And I had to fight to get the salary I got at this company. I was handed on a silver platter such an amazing salary at my next posiiton and I just cannot understand how Niksun thinks it is okay to give such bad salaries to people and demand such unhumane hours, and work from the employees. Horrible. They don't even pay sales people the commission they are supposed to receive and rightfully earned. We have to fight them for that too. Sickening.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease leave. Sell the company, and let the company be run with fresh eyes and fresh perspective. You did what you could, but you do not have respect of your employees and without respect, you will never be at your maximum potential. DOn't keep up this proud and stubborn attitude. It is not worth it.

Worked for NIKSUN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NIKSUN reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NIKSUN CEO Dr. Parag Pruthi. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by NIKSUN employees.