NISA Investment Advisors Reviews

2.5
Jess B. Yawitz

1. Powerhouse Firm with Relaxed Culture

Current Employee - Analyst in Clayton, MO

I have been working at NISA Investment Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NISA has enjoyed extraordinary growth in the past few years. There literally is not an institutional asset management firm in the country that is as respected in the industry or as beloved by its clients. It's filled with smart, driven people who understand finance very well. There's also enormous potential--the company is moving into new areas (and basically creating ones out of thin air as well). I'm stunned by some of the negative reviews on this website, which strike me more as an indictment of NISA's hiring decisions rather than culture or organization. This isn't Bridgewater; I've found the culture here forgiving and relaxed, with most non-trading people out by 5 pm. As high finance goes, the atmosphere at NISA is as laid-back as it gets.

Cons

NISA is a firm that achieved enormous success by doing one thing well. As a consequence, older people at the firm tend to be cautious and stick to the tried-and-true. A good number of people have been at NISA for their entire careers, which adds to some inertia at the middle-management level. Pay is good for the Midwest (you can live like a king in St. Louis)--but low by NYC/SF standards.

Advice to Management

Upper management is really excellent--all I would say is to continue being aggressive about growth opportunities.

The benefits are all they have

I worked at NISA Investment Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The perks of working there are very good because it's all they have going for them. Workplace culture is otherwise terrible.

Cons

There is zero opportunity for advancement. People would rather cover up minor mistakes than own up to them to avoid the verbal berating they're going to receive. It's difficult to do your job when your own department manager treats you terribly.

Advice to Management

You're complacent in your managerial ways. I urge you to try to be more personable. You can be personable yet equally effective. Being crass and pompous while offering virtually no room for growth or advancement isn't going to retain your bright, well educated employees.

Treats Employees Well, But Little Room For Growth

I have been working at NISA Investment Advisors

Pros

The company provides great benefits, such as a free in-house gym with trainers, breakfast, lunch, occasional happy hours, a stipend for healthcare insurance.

Cons

NISA is a small company and tends to value tenure (time spent in the same function in NISA) over meritocracy or value-add. As mentioned in other reviews, there is very little room for professional growth.

Advice to Management

Invest in developing or hiring tough but fair leaders who can be change agents to drive efficiencies and effectiveness across the board. You may find savings in operational cost once we apply sustainable fixes/upgrades for systems and overall operational processes. Set yourself up for success with some infrastructure investment that is scalable so that your team can focus on winning even more clients.

5. Love it here

I have been working at NISA Investment Advisors

Pros

I've been with the company for a few years now. Nisa has a lot of perks. Their benefits are good. I feel as though there a lot of "lifers" here. Unfortunately none of them have made it to glass door to post a review. NISA is my long term career plan (at least for the time being). If you're interested in the company form your opinions when you come in for an interview and actually meet the staff.

Cons

n/a Your opportunities for growth are very different depending on your department.

Advice to Management

n/a

Condescending, arrogant leaders who don't respect employees.

I have been working at NISA Investment Advisors

Pros

Free lunch and free parking.

Cons

Horrible culture. Big egos in leaders with ridiculous politics. Condescending, arrogant leaders who don't respect employees. No training, my boss had no idea how to do my job. Very outdated manual process also very tedious. The group leaders and management are not forgiving of mistakes even though they have no desire to train an employee. NISA prides itself on hiring the "Best of the Best"; in all actuality it’s all about repetition.

Advice to Management

Invest in updated systems and be proactive in how employees are treated by condescending and arrogant leaders.

7. Great asset manager to work for in St Louis!

I worked at NISA Investment Advisors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Intelligent and friendly coworkers, challenging work, laid-back environment, free breakfast/lunch in cafe, casual dress, and fitness center.

Cons

For my particular job, work life balance was not where I needed it to be.

Not a place you ever want to end up.

Current Employee - Former Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Former Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at NISA Investment Advisors

Pros

Free lunch you eat at your desk with your boss watching you.

Cons

Advice to Management

Stop playing your weird political games. Get humble, stop bragging about the money and power and learn to run a company that has values and a culture where employees are trained and supported.

Poor company culture

I have been working at NISA Investment Advisors full-time

Pros

Open kitchen, emphasis on learning

Cons

Very poor career prospects, lack of leadership and follow-through from senior managers

Advice to Management

Compliance is important, but the focus should be on "the spirit of the law" rather than the letter of the law.

NO Opportunity NO advancement

I have been working at NISA Investment Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Occasional office sponsored happy hours and catered lunches (expect to eat at your desk). Reasons to work here are few.

Cons

If the role is within the operations department, expect zero transferable skills. Like many of the other reviews for NISA, the job you take will be the job you leave with. There has been a hiring freeze within the department for the past two years. Only one person per quarter is allowed to transfer to a new role within the company. This is only AFTER you find a replacement for your current job. Just remember, there are at least 10-15 people with years of experience already waiting for the opportunity to advance within the company. Work is tedious and boring. The technology department has no accountability, systems are broken, half complete, or nonexistent. Office politics are rampant. I cannot fathom how adults can act with such a lack of professionalism and maturity. The morale in the operations department is dangerously low.

Advice to Management

This is not the same company as it was 10 years ago. Stop trying to keep it that way. Be more involved with things on the ground level. The support staff are often most familiar with the many technology and organizational problems, not managers/group leaders. STOP playing office politics. The company is at a crucial transition and cannot afford these games.

Great place to start & leave

Former Employee - Trading Desk in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Trading Desk in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at NISA Investment Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Free Lunch - Lots to learn at first - Work with some extremely nice & intelligent people - Quite a few out of work events sponsored

Cons

- Extremely manual processes - Lack of leadership - Lots of blame placing - Extremely hard to advance (they will promise its super easy in the interview)

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as a valuable asset. NISA recruits some of the greatest minds and then turns and burns them. Any NISA employee can go somewhere else for better pay.

RSS Feed </> Embed