NJEDA

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
2.8

CEO

Great workplace with excellent benefits; management could be smoother

Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJEDA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Highly-talented and high profile co-workers. Everyone is usually pretty professional and driven. With its status as a quasi-government agency, it has the best of the private and public sector.

Cons

There is a ton of redundancy and the management has its hiccups.

It's a place where if you're "golden girl or boy" you'll do all right - but it's a star chamber mostly there

Former Employee - Project Manager IV (Highest Level0 in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager IV (Highest Level0 in Trenton, NJ

I worked at NJEDA as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

It's great money for doing nothing if you're a contractor or sr manager

Cons

It''s an exercise in futility most of the time dealing with dunderheads who are in charge but don't know that the real world passed them by in knowledge and technology 20 years ago

This place is difficult to work in for the general opinion that I have because (a) the quality of the people is mostly low and (b) the managers around here are not all that good at pulling things together. The managers spend most of their time here trying to make everyone else happy and not rocking the boat, which causes them to spend way more time on working their "image" than planning out and doing quality work. And on that note the work quality around here is dismal, very dismal in some instances. They seem to "sharpen the same tools" over and over all of the time and they never progress and get things worked out and smoothed out so that they don't have to spend all of their time "fighting fires." That's all this place does in the I.T. Dept--fight fires because they don't plan, don't analyze, don't follow through, don't set goals and deadlines, and most of all don't care. I've fought that attitude for 21 months here, and it's a miracle that I actually got a RFP together and ultimately got a bidder who was able to get through the procurement maze here and then have the contract awarded to them last Monday. I have to say that while doing all of that sounds easy right now, in hindsight it was a bit of a Herculean effort that I'm probably more lucky than skilled to have pulled off.

Yep, working for the NJEDA is mostly an exercise in patience and beating the boredom and "silly" work here half of the time. And people here goof off, take off work all the time, come in late, don't pay attention when they are at work, call in sick every other day, and mostly abuse the entire system and set up around here when it comes to being employed. We don't have but a few contractors here, but we're basically treated like dirt and are hated because they (mgmt) think we're overpaid, should be able to work miracles, and generally are only here because they don't have the internal staff to do what we do as contractors (thus we are a necessary but really a despised evil).

Yeah, it's been a real fun time here, but I'm not interested in another year of it even if they doubled my salary. I'm losing my technical skills here more and more day by day, and if I stayed here any longer I'd turn into a "vegetable" like half of the rest of the people around have become. We've got some staff here who even have trouble remembering their password and navigating their way around an Excel spreadsheet menu. Sad. But they get what they pay for at the NJEDA, and most of the full-timers around here are paid very low.

Whatever, be aware of the fact that "abusive and degrading" treatment from the higher ups around this place is pretty much the norm. I would not recommend anyone to take a job with the NJEDA, not unless they enjoy being abused and treated like the lowest of the low most of the time. The arrogance around here is amazing, and it seems that as soon as anyone gets to be a manager in this place they immediately think they have reached some sort of "state of perfection" where they can "do no wrong." That's hardly true by a long shot, and that's why this place is as inefficient and messed up as it is.

Declining morale

Current Employee - Credit Underwriting in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Credit Underwriting in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJEDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    offers work from home and working remotely in camden or newark office

Cons

lousy pay and raises
    lot of political bs

get your hear out of your...

Neutral

I worked at NJEDA

Pros

Benefits are great and cover every facet. They pay is higher than the average in the industry. Coworkers are friendly; senior management are attentive, knowledgeable, and supportive

Cons

Mid-management is difficult to work with; using older technologies; limited budget for access to resources that one needs to complete the work

NJEDA - a good place to work

I worked at NJEDA

Pros

The organization is very clear in regards to job duties and responsibilities; there is no passing the buck. That is typical of a state related agency.

Cons

Since this is a state agency, the dissemination of information isn't terrific. There is alot of talk about what the Governor will do and how it will affect the workers. They guard the office supplies like they are gold.

Share information about upcoming changes as soon as possible. Also lighten up on guarding the office products; you almost need to sign in blood when you need something to do your job.

Favoritism is shown towards some employees.

I worked at NJEDA

Pros

Administrative staff is really nice to work with.

Cons

Upper management doesn't seem to be at the level they should be if they were in the private sector---they have a "pubic sector" work ethic. At times they seem very passive aggressive. They have some managers managing that really should not be but are based on who they are friends with in the organization.

Stop acting as if you are better than your "staff" when in essence you are all in the same boat. Get advice from valuable leadership.