NJM Insurance

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
2.6

Bernard M. Flynn

Pros
  • They go out of their way to tell you about the free soup and that shows they care (in 14 reviews)

• New Jersey Manufacturers has very good benefits and a lot of good people to work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • but I think they were 30 years behind the times 5 years ago, so things are improving (in 4 reviews)

• It would be awesome to be able to work from home (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

pretty good

I have been working at NJM Insurance

Pros

Good longtime benefits, good co-workers, predictable schedule, generally interesting work

Cons

change is coming but it takes a long time to get things moving.

Customer Service - OK job

Current Employee - Personal Lines Associate in West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Associate in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company benefits, lots of vacation days, very good salary, friendly co-workers and customers, and a big cafeteria and sometimes lunch is free.

Cons

Can't get off some days especially around a holiday. Have to walk far from parking lot to building.

Been here a couple of years and don't see too many bad things. Sometimes it is so busy I can't get off the phone but the day goes by fast. I've made good friends here and my friend from school got hired after I told him about the job. Yea.. sometimes we can't take off, but we get a lot of days to take off. I got the job without any insurance experience but I got trained and learned insurance. Learned a lot since I've been here. All good in my book.

Don't be creative

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

401m with 8% matching, health insurance, on-site cafeteria, on-site nurses, company paid training

Cons

Administrative services department was partially located in a leased property a mile from the main campus. Employees there were neglected yet told they were a part of the team.

Listen to your employees

I want out NOW!!!.

Current Employee - Personal Lines in West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Personal Lines in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, good work/life balance, pay is ok and lunch room on site

Cons

Management is totally behind times!! Whatever they say goes doesn't matter if they are right or wrong. Supervisors don't stick up for you they just ride on the band wagon! They watch your every move here its ridiculous!! They don't value you here, hell the customers are treated better than the employees, it's sad!! Yes njm is a very reputable company and yes they do have good benefits, good salary, but is it worth it??? I pretty much had it here with this company. It's sad.

How about trying to get to know your employees.

Not the organization for you if you want to be respected

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Fellow employees are friendly and helpful.

Cons

NJM operated for most of their 100 years as if their were impervious to changes other organizations experienced (technology, management techniques). Now they are finding themselves behind the 8-ball, scrambling to get technology up and running. Because their technology is out of date, they believe their long-time employees are also outdated. Many of us have been screaming for these changes but were ignored. They are now "thinning out the herd" and no one is safe. If you bring up a legitimate grievance, you are immediately deemed a problem employee, even if you have 5 years of above average ratings.

Pay more attention to your project management, projects are the brink of disaster. Implement a real telecommuting program. Implement more objective measures of evaluating your employees and stop discounting those of us on the front lines. Most of us have 10+ yrs experience. Loss of this knowledge and botched technology will be detrimental to your organization.

changing OF THE GUARD

Former Employee - First Reports in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - First Reports in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New Jersey Manufacturers has very good benefits and a lot of good people to work with. Excellent 401k and medical plan.

Cons

New Jersey Manufacturers has new leadership and have change the way the company works which worked well for the last 100 years, not so sure now.

Bullying is the rule not the exception

Current Employee - Clerical in West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Clerical in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits Free soup, milk, coffee.

Cons

Management who has a belief of intimidation and bullying is the norm. Employees who follow along so they are not the ones who will be Bullied. Senior management that encourages this atmosphere. Mr. Flynn CEO do you know what is going on your watch or are you blind to it?

You need to clean house of the management that implements this practice. All the guards and cameras can not stop you from yourself destruction.

Horrible Experience. Stay away!

I worked at NJM Insurance

Pros

Not much. Made some friends, benefits were decent, nice location.

Cons

I worked in the HR dept. for over five years, the last couple were horrible! The management in the department are a bunch of angry old women that like to act tough and try to bully to employees; this includes the department head who is disliked by EVERYONE. Only the "chosen ones" can expect promotions and good raises which is ridiculous. My coworkers are constantly talking about leaving and I'm so happy that I was able to say goodbye. The entire company is going down the tubes with all their changes. I would only recommend NJM if nothing else in the world is available-- yes, it's that bad.

Don't believe the hype from department management because things are a mess and employees are very unhappy.

NJM in late 2014

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I wanted to address some of the comments made on this site over the past year:
    -NJM Bank was sold largely because of Dodd-Frank banking rules. While the bank turned a small profit, the pain of dealing with federal banking regulations was too much for NJM (which is an insurance org at heart, not a bank). As far as I know, almost every single bank employee got a job at NJM if they wanted one, from entry level folks to officers.
    -Retiree medical benefits were changed, but, the change to retirees is more or less neutral. There wasn't actually a cut in benefits. However, instead of subsidizing X% of retiree medical, NJM is now going to subsidize $Y of retiree medical, with $Y about equal to the dollars in X% on average. The difference in the new plan is that retirees will be able to (will "have to") choose a their own health plan online instead of automatically getting (being "forced to have") NJM's blue cross/blue shield plan. If a retiree chooses an expensive health plan with all the bells and whistles, they will have to pay more out of pocket than they were before... but if they choose a cheaper/frugal plan, they would pay less out of pocket than they were before. Aside from the private insurance, NJM is still subsidizing Medicare the same way they were before.
    -Technology is old but it is being upgraded. It takes time to upgrade *everything*, but that is what NJM is trying to do (starting a few years ago and going for several more years into the future).

Cons

NJM is slow to adapt to new processes... whether they be new insurance products, new management styles, technology, etc. Sometimes that is actually a good thing, but usually it is bad. NJM is getting better in this regard then they were 10 years ago.

Run Forrest, Run!

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not many. The company as a whole is so far behind the times it's not even funny. The benefits were good, but I hear that they are being cut back also.

Cons

It is management by intimidation in the IT department. Unless you are one of the cronies you have no chance for advancement or even a decent raise. You are watched like a hawk and they don't care about the quality of your work. As long as you are at your desk when one of the "moles" comes by to check up on you you are fine.

Open your eyes and see what's going on!

NJM Insurance Photos

New Jersey Manufacturer's Insurance local baseball sponsor.
NJM Head office exterior view.

+ Add Photo