NJM Insurance Reviews

2.6

Bernard M. Flynn

njm

I have been working at NJM Insurance

Pros

great place to be at

Cons

there are no challenges there

Honest review from Personal Lines

Current Employee - Personal Lines  in  West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Personal Lines in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

NJM as a company has many pros which include the retirement plan (401m )has dollar for dollar match up to 8%, pension, free soup,iced tea, milk and coffee, decent benefits including life, health, and disability, training was detailed, most co-workers friendly, decent amount of PTO, large landscaped campus, relocating opportunities. yearly bonus of 5% around Christmas, opportunity for overtime pay, don't bring work home with you

Cons

The major complaint with NJM is the treatment of employees within the personal lines call center. Reps are overworked and micromanaged. Negative reinforcement is practiced 100% of the time. I've learned over years that if you do your work and not make a fuss or offer ideas/opinions (yes woman/ yes man) you will be just fine. PTO often needs to be requested months in advance so plan your time off way ahead of schedule. As earlier reviews have stated politics are very apparent in the office. Reps are rewarded if they go out of their way and explain to the higher ups how a co-worker made a mistake, so if that bothers you.. stay away. Favoritism happens everywhere though. Work attire is strangely judged as I've been told a couple times that my dresses are too short while others get away with loose pants and a tee shirt. To the younger generation reading this.. don't expect snow days. We are expected to work during a state of emergency. Yearly raises average from 2.6%-3.6%. Keep in mind that you're not able to apply for another position within the call center. The next stage of advancement is underwriter which is directly chosen by a management team above your supervisors. Honestly, this job isn't for everyone but it's a way to earn a living. It has allowed this girl to pay her bills without the worry of layoffs.

allow some creativity and encourage those in the call center to share ideas and opinions, yearly salaries could be higher, put an end to the micro-managing style, allow reps to apply for advancement opportunities, treat employees as human beings instead of phone answering robots, research the management style of successful companies that are highly rated by their employees

Good Place to Work

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy working for NJM..it is a reputable company that people like. The company does a LOT of things right that are unheard of these days (8% match on your 401K..you can't find that most places!) Great benefits..plenty of days off. It really depends on what department you work in though. I don't have a supervisor that micromanages or is breathing down my neck babysitting me. I like the freedom I have.

Cons

The pay could be better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Recent Hire - Not exactly what I expected...

Current Employee - PL Call Center  in  Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - PL Call Center in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Training is complete and detailed, Supervisor seems to know her stuff, pay is decent,

Cons

Expected to be in your seat answering phones non-stop and there are eyes always watching, no internet, no work from home, office politics are apparent, employees are nice one-on-one but seem angry about how the company treats them, during training there was an awkward discussion in front of us newbies between training dept. employees that were trying to help with insurance licenses. They are closing their bank, word has it the raises are just cost of living increases no matter how hard you work. I'm wondering if this was the right choice?

Hard to say because I haven't been here very long. Do more to put employees at ease to reduce stress and anger. Allow employees to use the internet and their cell phones.

Mainframe Senior Programmer / Analyst

Former Employee - Mainframe Programmer  in  West Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Mainframe Programmer in West Trenton, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NJM is Insurance Company. I know insurance business very well.

Cons

Intergration between Mainframe environment and Open System like Java or .NET

Interesting Experience

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer free insurance classes, but its all in house training.
    They had free soup, coffee, milk, tea, and oatmeal
    I had a good work-home life balance
    Decent benefits except for the dental

Cons

The politics are beyond ridiculous here. It's not a bout what you know its about who you know here.
    There was some subtle racism and prejudice in the upper management,. in fact all of it wasn't so subtle.
    Their treatment of their employees was horrible. We were one of the few companies who had to come to work when Christie declared it a state of emergency. Not just essential personnel, but the whole company had to come in.

Be a little more compassionate. Try to relate to your employees a little more, instead of just barking unrealistic orders at them.

Personal lines rep

Former Employee - Personal Lines Representative
    Former Employee - Personal Lines Representative

I worked at NJM Insurance for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are all very friendly.. Good benefits-

Cons

Felt like a kindergarten, supervisors breathe down your neck without allowing any creativeness or freedom . Would get in trouble if I was not answering phones every 5 seconds. I couldn't even speak to my coworker without a supervisor saying we have calls waiting.. Half hour lunch, one 10 minute break during the day

Loosen up a little. Allow more breaks and to speak to your coworker once in a while. If we are cooped up In a cube all day with one 10 minute break, how do you expect someone to want or do there job.

Horrible Place To Work. Potential Employee beware

Former Employee - Analyst  in  West Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in West Trenton, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The only reason to ever work at NJM is if you can't find a job anywhere else.

Cons

Low salary. Benefits will not make up for what the rest of the market is paying. Toxic work environment with very harsh treatment of hardworking employees by management with no intervention from HR, Senior Executives or Legal. It's almost as if this type of culture is endorsed by the company. Recent resignations from NJM have been very disheartening. Employees are witnessing cruel treatment of employees targeted to be forced out but are too afraid to stand up to an organization that will squash dissent. IT is mostly "insourced" with 90 percent consultants from India. Often you are the only US citizen in a meeting. This is very disheartening from an organization that advertises itself as a founding member of the New Jersey Business and Industry Association (NJBIA). The example they are setting is hypocritical to the values they espouse.

Bernie Flynn, CEO of NJM will eventually have to be held accountable for the bullying going on in his organization. Let us remember that the great governor of the state of New Jersey was brought down by humiliation for turning the same blind eye.

Get over yourselves. NJM is no longer a leader of integrity or a great organization. Marginal or below expectation is a more accurate description. The reasons people were attracted to work at NJM no longer exist.

Things are rapidly declining

Current Employee - PL Representative II  in  West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - PL Representative II in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are generally nice and helpful, the facility it well kept, onsite cafe, decent benefits.

Cons

Changes are happening all over the place and they are not good. NJM Bank, with a motto that says "Fully Invested in You" is not so invested in you anymore since they sold to another bank and are closing the Trenton branch. Employees are supposedly being considered for positions on the insurance side but a senior team member was just let go -- actions speak louder than words! An announcement was just made that retiree health benefits are changing and basically those who spent many years at the company now have to go out an purchase their own medical with a little $$ help from NJM. If that's how they are going to treat those that spent their careers working at the company what do you think will happen to newer employees? It's a shame really.

Enough with the changes, people are unhappy with them no matter how many times they are told it is for the best.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst  in  West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance as a contractor

Pros

The atmosphere is refreshing, people are nice and the campus is beautiful

Cons

It's a nice drive from home, 40 minutes in the morning an hour and a half at night going home.

Worked for NJM Insurance? Contribute to the Community!