NJM Insurance

Updated August 21, 2014

2.5

Bernard M. Flynn

Good Place to Work

Pros

I enjoy working for NJM..it is a reputable company that people like. The company does a LOT of things right that are unheard of these days (8% match on your 401K..you can't find that most places!) Great benefits..plenty of days off. It really depends on what department you work in though. I don't have a supervisor that micromanages or is breathing down my neck babysitting me. I like the freedom I have.

Cons

The pay could be better

Recent Hire - Not exactly what I expected...

Current Employee - PL Call Center  in  Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - PL Call Center in Trenton, NJ

Pros

Training is complete and detailed, Supervisor seems to know her stuff, pay is decent,

Cons

Expected to be in your seat answering phones non-stop and there are eyes always watching, no internet, no work from home, office politics are apparent, employees are nice one-on-one but seem angry about how the company treats them, during training there was an awkward discussion in front of us newbies between training dept. employees that were trying to help with insurance licenses. They are closing their bank, word has it the raises are just cost of living increases no matter how hard you work. I'm wondering if this was the right choice?

Hard to say because I haven't been here very long. Do more to put employees at ease to reduce stress and anger. Allow employees to use the internet and their cell phones.

Mainframe Senior Programmer / Analyst

Former Employee - Mainframe Programmer  in  West Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Mainframe Programmer in West Trenton, NJ

Pros

NJM is Insurance Company. I know insurance business very well.

Cons

Intergration between Mainframe environment and Open System like Java or .NET

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting Experience

Pros

They offer free insurance classes, but its all in house training.
    They had free soup, coffee, milk, tea, and oatmeal
    I had a good work-home life balance
    Decent benefits except for the dental

Cons

The politics are beyond ridiculous here. It's not a bout what you know its about who you know here.
    There was some subtle racism and prejudice in the upper management,. in fact all of it wasn't so subtle.
    Their treatment of their employees was horrible. We were one of the few companies who had to come to work when Christie declared it a state of emergency. Not just essential personnel, but the whole company had to come in.

Be a little more compassionate. Try to relate to your employees a little more, instead of just barking unrealistic orders at them.

Personal lines rep

Former Employee - Personal Lines Representative
    Former Employee - Personal Lines Representative

Pros

Coworkers are all very friendly.. Good benefits-

Cons

Felt like a kindergarten, supervisors breathe down your neck without allowing any creativeness or freedom . Would get in trouble if I was not answering phones every 5 seconds. I couldn't even speak to my coworker without a supervisor saying we have calls waiting.. Half hour lunch, one 10 minute break during the day

Loosen up a little. Allow more breaks and to speak to your coworker once in a while. If we are cooped up In a cube all day with one 10 minute break, how do you expect someone to want or do there job.

Horrible Place To Work. Potential Employee beware

Former Employee - Analyst  in  West Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in West Trenton, NJ

Pros

The only reason to ever work at NJM is if you can't find a job anywhere else.

Cons

Low salary. Benefits will not make up for what the rest of the market is paying. Toxic work environment with very harsh treatment of hardworking employees by management with no intervention from HR, Senior Executives or Legal. It's almost as if this type of culture is endorsed by the company. Recent resignations from NJM have been very disheartening. Employees are witnessing cruel treatment of employees targeted to be forced out but are too afraid to stand up to an organization that will squash dissent. IT is mostly "insourced" with 90 percent consultants from India. Often you are the only US citizen in a meeting. This is very disheartening from an organization that advertises itself as a founding member of the New Jersey Business and Industry Association (NJBIA). The example they are setting is hypocritical to the values they espouse.

Bernie Flynn, CEO of NJM will eventually have to be held accountable for the bullying going on in his organization. Let us remember that the great governor of the state of New Jersey was brought down by humiliation for turning the same blind eye.

Get over yourselves. NJM is no longer a leader of integrity or a great organization. Marginal or below expectation is a more accurate description. The reasons people were attracted to work at NJM no longer exist.

Things are rapidly declining

Current Employee - PL Representative II  in  West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - PL Representative II in West Trenton, NJ

Pros

Co-workers are generally nice and helpful, the facility it well kept, onsite cafe, decent benefits.

Cons

Changes are happening all over the place and they are not good. NJM Bank, with a motto that says "Fully Invested in You" is not so invested in you anymore since they sold to another bank and are closing the Trenton branch. Employees are supposedly being considered for positions on the insurance side but a senior team member was just let go -- actions speak louder than words! An announcement was just made that retiree health benefits are changing and basically those who spent many years at the company now have to go out an purchase their own medical with a little $$ help from NJM. If that's how they are going to treat those that spent their careers working at the company what do you think will happen to newer employees? It's a shame really.

Enough with the changes, people are unhappy with them no matter how many times they are told it is for the best.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst  in  West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in West Trenton, NJ

Pros

The atmosphere is refreshing, people are nice and the campus is beautiful

Cons

It's a nice drive from home, 40 minutes in the morning an hour and a half at night going home.

Not your Father's NJM

Current Employee - Insurance Professional  in  West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Insurance Professional in West Trenton, NJ

Pros

Nice campus, most line workers are good people that are easy to get along with, Company is well regarded in the public eye.

Cons

I have been with NJM for many years. It has always had its share of issues like any other company, however the culture is quickly eroding under current executive and human resource department management. The most recent decision to sell the Bank division is evidence that things are changing for the worse, especially for employees. Over 50 people will have their work lives turned upside down by this decision. Management says it's for the overall benefit of the company but that seems questionable. Other than clerical workers who will be placed inside the insurance division, will this change REALLY be in everyone's best interest?
    NJM has always drilled into employees heads how "successful and stable" NJM is and "how there's more money is reserves than ever before" however, as of late we've seen phasing out of employees in certain areas, loss of benefits for new employees, lower raises and it's been very long since anyone has received the special compensation of one or two week's pay. Yes, everyone gets the yearly 5% bonus but how long until they stop that, too? I've even heard rumors that medical benefits will soon change for retirees and then all employees.
    What happened to the great company we once knew? Why would anyone just starting out want to work at NJM with its micro-managing rules but not the superior benefits that made those rules tolerable. Good luck in the future...the next 100 years might be rough.

Remember the reason Consumer Reports always rates NJM so high is because of the front line employees. Share the wealth more like you did in the past and recognize good employees rather than squashing them with archaic rules; rein in HR.

Can make a decent living..at a cost

Pros

The benefits are good. You could essentially start and finish your career here and be set for life. You won't go hungry due to free soup and the occasional free lunch days.

Cons

Typical cubicle job. Crunching numbers, day by day. Passion..you won't find it here. It's not always easy to move up, even if you work hard. In the call centers, supervisors are your babysitters. Quite miserable at times. But you'll be fine if your life outside of njm is awesome. Some members of management are miserable, so they like to make their employees miserable by constantly sabotaging and belittling them. The treatment doesn't affect me because I can see straight through it. If ridiculing me makes you feel good about yourself, whatever. You have to live with being a disgusting person. Just give me my paycheck. But seeing others treated that way and not being able to stand up for them..it's rough and it takes it's toll.

It would be awesome to be able to work from home..instead they require some departments to be "essential personnel" so that they can drive into the office during a state of emergency. Same cards EMS has. Because the document management team can apparently save lives during a hurricane...

Treat your employees better. Or at least like human beings. It'll reflect in their performance.

Worked for NJM Insurance? Contribute to the Community!