NORC at the University of Chicago

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

John Thompson

Pros
  • Very flexible schedule, plenty of opportunities to work on different projects, great location (right in the Loop) (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance, develop skills (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, hours may be sporadic (esp (in 5 reviews)

• What the heck is competitive about minimum wage (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Working part-time. Company is well-managed.

Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and well managed organization.

Cons

Strict adherence to rules/norms with little flexibility.

Field Interviewer

Former Employee - Field Interviewer
    Former Employee - Field Interviewer

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to work for one of the best study survey organizations in the country. Training is usually located in Chicago all expenses paid. Staff is professional and easy to work with.

Cons

Work is intermittent and usually part time

Keep up the good work

Unorganized

Former Employee - Field Interviewer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Interviewer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago

Pros

Good training and flexible hours

Cons

Poorly run, unorganized. Lack of competent tech support. Unstable pay and workload. Run projects like a high school science project.

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago full-time

Pros

Access to very intelligent coworkers, interesting topics, flexible hours and good work-life balance

Cons

Difficulty moving up corporate ladder

My experience at NORC has been very enlightening to the social science world and its importance.

I have been working at NORC at the University of Chicago full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for NORC would be the knowledge and experience you’ll receive.

Cons

Not really a challenge, but be ready to learn from talented individuals, stay on your toes.

a good company to work in

I have been working at NORC at the University of Chicago full-time

Pros

Work life balance, develop skills.

Cons

slow promotion process, Ph.D. degree means a lot.

It is a good company, but little room for growth.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working here you can apply to jobs and advance without having advanced degrees.

Cons

They expect a lot from you but the pay is not equal. They do not offer a lot of full time positions.

More feedback would be helpful. More room for growth.

Doors DO NOT Open for Everyone at NORC

I have been working at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time

Pros

the company's mission and accomplishment are something to be proud of. The international projects are very interesting. It is a great place to learn if you really care about market research. Great facilities and locations.

Cons

Good luck training yourself. The lack of training and the opportunities to grow are sadly minimal.

Give that people around you a chance to prove their potential.

IT'S OKAY!!!

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chicago, IL

Pros

I've met a few friends here. The job is very flexible. You can trade shifts with your co-workers. Breaks are PAID and you can take them whenever you want. There is room for advancement. They let you know when higher positions are open for hiring. For the most part promotions are made within the company. I've seen my friends get promoted from a telephone interviewer to supervisors. Supervisors for the most part are generally friendly and want to see you do well. I've had a few supervisors pull me to the side and tell me when I was doing my job very well. For the most part everyone I know here makes friends or at least have someone they enjoy sitting next to while conducting surveys. OH AND THEY ALSO BUY US FOOD ON RANDOM OCCASIONS. I'm not sure why but a few times I came to work and they bought everyone Food from this downtown restaurant ....

Cons

There are a couple people who let their authority get to their head. Like I said for the most part, the supervisors are generally nice or at least do their job well. Now these people called "Peer Helpers" who are one position UNDER the supervisors tend to be very cocky. Peer helpers are basically Telephone Interviewers who have very high production rates, so they walk the floor to help other telephone interviewers if they have questions. Majority of them are nice. But there are a few who seem to pick on us regular telephone interviewers.

ON ANOTHER NOTE. They are very strict on attendance. If you have been here for one month or one year they do not care if your attendance drop below 85% your gone! Well this really isn't a con for me because I enjoy going to work everyday because Its a fairly easy job and my attendance is always over 100%.

I think everything is Okay, however just stop hiring more people than you need. And beware who you promote to Peer Helpers.

helpdesk tech

Former Employee - Helpdesk Tech in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Tech in Chicago, IL

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago full-time (less than an year)

Pros

none this place is hell

Cons

place is terrible for any growth. they treat you like robots. very strick on processes. they mico-manage and you have 3 bosses that will tell you when you screw something up. STAY AWAY

be open minded