NORC at the University of Chicago

NORC at the University of Chicago Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014

John Thompson

Pros
  • Very flexible schedule, plenty of opportunities to work on different projects, great location (right in the Loop) (in 7 reviews)

• flexible hours, decent pay, work from home (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, hours may be sporadic (esp (in 5 reviews)

• What the heck is competitive about minimum wage (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

IT'S OKAY!!!

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've met a few friends here. The job is very flexible. You can trade shifts with your co-workers. Breaks are PAID and you can take them whenever you want. There is room for advancement. They let you know when higher positions are open for hiring. For the most part promotions are made within the company. I've seen my friends get promoted from a telephone interviewer to supervisors. Supervisors for the most part are generally friendly and want to see you do well. I've had a few supervisors pull me to the side and tell me when I was doing my job very well. For the most part everyone I know here makes friends or at least have someone they enjoy sitting next to while conducting surveys. OH AND THEY ALSO BUY US FOOD ON RANDOM OCCASIONS. I'm not sure why but a few times I came to work and they bought everyone Food from this downtown restaurant ....

Cons

There are a couple people who let their authority get to their head. Like I said for the most part, the supervisors are generally nice or at least do their job well. Now these people called "Peer Helpers" who are one position UNDER the supervisors tend to be very cocky. Peer helpers are basically Telephone Interviewers who have very high production rates, so they walk the floor to help other telephone interviewers if they have questions. Majority of them are nice. But there are a few who seem to pick on us regular telephone interviewers.

ON ANOTHER NOTE. They are very strict on attendance. If you have been here for one month or one year they do not care if your attendance drop below 85% your gone! Well this really isn't a con for me because I enjoy going to work everyday because Its a fairly easy job and my attendance is always over 100%.

I think everything is Okay, however just stop hiring more people than you need. And beware who you promote to Peer Helpers.

Survey Specialist II

Former Employee - Survey Specialist II in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Survey Specialist II in Chicago, IL

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the time, NORC gave 8.5% of your salary towards your 403b. That price is not a match, but an employer contribution.

Cons

Most managers are out of touch. Junior staff will experience a ceiling with their professional development. Managers and mentors will give you empty promises for professional and career development. With a graduate degree, they offered me an initial salary in the low 40s. That pay is a joke.

Worth it because of its association with the university...

Former Employee - Data Archiving in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Data Archiving in Chicago, IL

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Proximity to campus and networking with other individuals in the same field.

Cons

Compensation and lack of true direction with respect to specific initiative(s).

Better communication.

Good place for college students

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer I in Chicago, IL

Pros

schedule flexibility, extremely nice supervisors

Cons

No personal growth among coworkers and in office, you are basically stuck on your desk all the time and can't even talk to anyone

Please allow more flexibility with letting workers take advantage of free time in between calls such as reading!!!

The call center is a sweatshop.

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer I in Chicago, IL

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's good for people who are in school or need temporary employment. You can sort of make your own hours.

Cons

NORC is a well respected organization that is allowing its interviewers to be treated like they are less than human. A computer makes the schedule, so the hours can be completely sporadic. You have to "clock to break" to use the bathroom. You are monitored from the minute you put on a headset and receive "weekly feedback" from an anonymous monitor. It is such an oppressive environment that I can't believe anyone works there. The morale among interviewers is very low and management tries to come up with "games" and "friendly competitions" to fix the problem.

You are giving NORC a bad name by running this place as if it is a corporate call center. If you need to cut costs that badly, find a way to be humane about it!

Eeh, ok place to work for

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was good until they were up to renegotiate their biggest contract. Pretty laid back environment.

Cons

Layoffs came right along with an overwhelming load of work. Then they laid more people off. It's all about brown nosing to move up into management. Not based on skill at all.

Take a Social Etiquette class.

Eh

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer I in Chicago, IL

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, relatively relaxed environment to work in, easy to track hours, easy public transit access though.

Cons

Felt like a number. No one knows anyone's name, no one really listens to you about work issues. The high turnaround makes sense; very "do your job and get out." It's frustrating being in an environment where you're judged/reviewed for conditions you can't control. Plus having to clock out for things like bathroom breaks is always irritating.

Be more willing to listen to problems workers have to face.

Great growth potential.

Current Employee - TSSO Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - TSSO Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NORC at the University of Chicago full-time

Pros

This place is what you make it. Compensation, benefits and culture are all satisfactory from my perspective. You can immerse yourself within this job and it will keep you busy or you can take it for what it is and learn skills to move on.

Cons

The hours are all over the place. Upper management is rarely seen and less frequently communicated with. Tasks are often assigned without you knowing the correct way things should be done.

It's an alright job

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer I in Chicago, IL

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cons

Work can get extremely slow, too strict with break time (ex. rushing to and from the bathroom so you don't use up too much break time), a bit boring at times

Doesn't Foster Growth

Current Employee - Production Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Production Clerk in Chicago, IL

Pros

-Casual Dress
    -Flexible Hours
    -Take Breaks anytime within limit

Cons

-Some supervisors are condescending
    -Information isn't correctly distributed
    -No Sick days

Perhaps group training for information that pertains to all fields, so that all are on the same level, instead of to the few and expecting the rest to guess the rules. Also have supervisors attend training since half the time their information is unreliable which slows down production.