NORCAL Mutual Insurance

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Scott Diener

Company is Going National!

ProsThe company is financially strong with some wonderful, passionate people. They are becoming a national carrier, so a lot of exciting things happening and the opportunity to work on some really impactful projects. Great work/life balance.... best I've encountered, regardless of location. A lot of opportunity to run with things if you have the interest and motivation.

ConsCompany can be rooted in doing things 'the same way' they always have, so can be slow to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking at new perspectives, growing talent, and bringing in new skill sets and ideas. Definitely moving in the right direction!

Good people underneath, untrusting management stuck in ways

ProsSomewhat flexible scheduling
    Decent benefits
    Wants to grow
    Collect a paycheck

ConsLack of decision making
    Lack of trust in subordinates
    No desire to push the envelope
    Silo building - too many layers
    No consequences for poor performance
    poor internal customer service
    micro-management and lack of modern, agile practices throughout the company

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the fat, allow your best to make decisions without micro-management.
    Dedicate time per week for person pet projects
    Follow the lead of strong, modern companies like Atlassian, Google, Facebook, and E-Surance

Awful, toxic, workplace with little regards of its employee

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsNo pros. Things gave gone downhill ever since new management took over

ConsThe good old NORCAL is gone. The subsidiary company has taken over NORCAL. Management is now run by small town folks who think equally small and under qualified. Most managers in my department are under qualified, lazy, clueless and one is even manipulative. The upper management is even more clueless for letting this run its course and hurt productivity. Employees are being treated poorly with no regards. There are lots favoritism, segregation between departments, drama, politics, and insecurities. There's very little growth and benefit for employees.The old boys club has been replaced by small town folks club. Not sure if it's a good thing either.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified people for your upper managements. It's true that the cost for hiring managements small town is less from hiring local San Franciscan, but you are getting what you pay for. Stop promoting favoritism towards one company. Create more opportunity by allowing promotions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very bad management

Marketing (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsNice working environment, great and talented coworkers who are always helpful and friendly

ConsVery bad management. Disqualified managers, office politics and dramas

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed some experiential and qualified people who do not place personal preferences

Two of these "positive" reviews were written by the same person

San Francisco, CA

ProsAt one time, NORCAL was the "family-oriented" company mentioned in one of the reviews. Things changed dramatically about 2 years ago and the changes weren't even necessary. At one point there was an acquisition of a similar company and it appeared as though NORCAL was going to join the big leagues. Instead, the acquired company (with less talented workers) became the major players and it's been sad to watch.

ConsThe Finance department claimed that NORCAL was in a very good financial position -especially considering the economy and the changes in the industry. This was underscored at two employee meetings. Suddenly, for the first time in NORCAL's history there was a massive (NORCAL is a small, mutually-owned company) lay-off and others have since left for other reasons. It wasn't handled well and not properly communicated to the rest of the company - there were several promotions at the same time (wow- bad taste, they could have waited to do that).

Excellent Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsThis is a wonderful, family friendly company. EVERYONE there is part of a team and as such are always willing to help each other out. Upper management always listens to any questions or concerns you may have. This is a truly caring company, one that takes care of its employees.

ConsThere are none. Norcal was a great company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. You all are great and I am very thankful for the time I had at Norcal. I will never forget it.

Excellent Company

Claims Specialist (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe flexible work hours and ability to telecommute. The people are great.

ConsThere is limit opportunity to advance into management but that may be changing as more companies are purchased.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management does a fair job of keeping people informed. However feedback is not often acted on as quickly as one would expect.

GOOD

CLASS B CDL DRIVER (Former Employee)
    Aurora, OH

ProsGood co.to work for when there is work

ConsLack of work at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

A dysfunctional, fearful corporate culture that prioritizes sales, not people.

(Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsBenefits and PTO time packages were nice at the time I worked there.

ConsInconsistent management depending on who your boss was at any one time, a significantly fear-based corporate culture that is punitive towards employees. Management would ask for honesty from employees but then punish those who gave it. Strongly hierarchical. Employees often felt afraid of making mistakes and being fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to recognize the unhappiness and anxiety of its employees and do something significant about it. Norcal has moved from a very customer-oriented company to a company focused on sales and the bottom line as it has acquired other companies, and this has resulted in a lot of employee dissatisfaction. Talented employees have left in droves (I was one of them) or been fired, and those who are left feel uneasy and unhappy with the changes within the company. Norcal should evaluate this problem and address it.

Awesome Company to work for

Claims Assistant (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsNorcal Mutual was an amazing company to work for. The 10 plus years that I was there were an amazing time of growth and learning. The friendship, the constant dialog and team spirit are things I will always have with me and never forget.

ConsThere is no cons. Norcal Mutual was and still is a great company to work for. Being laid off was a result of the economy and I can't fault them because of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimply, Thank You for an amazing ten year run. You all are great.

Worked for NORCAL Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NORCAL Mutual Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NORCAL Mutual Insurance CEO Scott Diener. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by NORCAL Mutual Insurance employees.