NORDAM

Be The First To
Add Photos

Meredith Siegfried

NORDAM: More Cons than Pros

Everyone Who Loves NORDAM (Current Employee)

ProsI joined NORDAM because of her excellent culture which is shown to be uniquely marketed. A company really is shaped by her leaders, they were good when I joined, but with the departure of some good managers and the promotion of the least desirable types. I can only say that it has gone downhill. I look back at the good'o days with a sad smile.

ConsFor the record, NORDAM does not have employees working in Kabul, so I assume the previous reviewer just planned on keeping his/her identity secret, for fear of repercussion. I do agree with the points and would like to add some that were not raised. The political scene at NORDAM is quite prevalent, everyone in the top level are constantly "covering ass". For example, a lot of managers are starting to not make simple decisions and insisting on others like technical staff or support staff making the decision. In fact, most managers do not know their work or what they are saying sometimes and rely on chasing other to get the job done. One example was when an urgent issue cropped up near the deadline and immediate resolution was needed, you would expect the director to be concerned, no, he had gone home with full knowledge of the situation. The manager was no help as he only want to settle the problem in the fastest possible (not necessary the safest) way, the only catch is that he did not agree to put his name on the dodgy idea of his. Both person were only focused on who to pin the blame on. And that is what is lacking in NORDAM, accountability. Without accountability, managers can get off with giving silly ideas and/or failures that are under their charge, as long as there is someone else who puts their name on the dotted line. With that same line of thought, we seldom see the management gutsy enough to sign off with their names. Very often, they are quick to take the glory of coming up with some dodgy idea to solve a problem, and when it does not work out, the workers performing the wonderful plan takes the rap.

In fact, most managers realized that NORDAM is a place for speedy promotion without any aviation experience or knowledge, all they have to do is put up an elaborate show for the CEO and she will be impressed. It is the typical “What she does not know, will not hurt the paycheck” sort of mindset. I know what I am saying is bad, and I am ashamed to bring this up, but the things that go on without the knowledge of the CEO, is not doing justice for her, especially since she is a good leader with a strong mind. It is common for most correspondence to not include the CEO, so only the good news will be sent to her. Operational deviations, projects that do not take flight, grievances rarely reach that level. Not that that is bad, if these are handled properly, but mostly, the root problem is that such things are ‘sweep under a rug’ rather than resolved.

One of the biggest problems at NORDAM is that it does not matter how good you are at your job - as long as you have the right connections, you can do absolutely nothing and still get promoted. Most managers form alliance to consolidate power and mutually praise each other, or to eliminate those they deem as threatening to their career.

Lastly, would it hurt so much to give credit to those who help do your bidding, or help clean up the mess you created? If managers treated their employee better and not be so eager to take credit for the labor of others, they would have more people willing to slog for them. Like the old saying goes, a monkey can replace a manager, in fact they are cheaper and more entertaining.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are lots to improve on and if you are concerned with the well-being of NORDAM, you should be able to sieve out majors points from what I have written above. I hope you have a change of heart and feel conscientious enough to take action.
    But if I know you better, I hope the monkeys come sooner..

Great experience, bad management

Repair Development Engineer (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Proswork-life balance, good colleagues, own time management,

Consbad management, no system, messy

Advice to Senior Managementwake up the idea

Used to be a Great company to work for

(Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsMost Employees treat each other like family and work to help each other out especially in a time of personal crisis. Worked with a lot of really great people.
    Oportunity to learn alot about the aerospace industry and make contacts across the globe

ConsIn recent years the turn over in management has brought in many folks just looking to make it to retirement. They did not care about doing the right things, nor did they care about their employees. Proper training and tools to do your job is difficult to come by. Work-life balance is non-existant, especially for anyone in support staff positions. Also Managers are not interested in accountablity nor giving credit where it is due. Considering the aviation industry is so regulated, I cannot believe the pass the audits they do, especially when error and mistakes are made daily and no one in management ever works to correct the root problem.
    Could be a first class company again if 'real' managers were employed, most presently don't have a clue what is going on or what needs to be done to fix it.
    I never have understood how a manager could support their people when they don't have a single clue what their people do or are supposed to do.
    When you can't 'walk' in their shoes - how can you lead them?

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you dump all the work onto your 'star' workers, they just become burned out! That has been evident in the last year with several very good people passing from stress related illnesses.
    Quit worry about the bottom line and start focusing on Quality of work and Quality of Life.
    Do the right thing all the time and everything else will fall into place!
    ***Bill Peacher has not been the CEO for many years. The current CEO is a Siegfried family member

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very hostile work environment

IT Area (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

Prosmy work schedule was flexible

ConsBed bugs, a case of bed was found and or area was notified days after they found the bugs. Management lacks experience in leading people. Management allows stakeholders to yell and speak negatively to IT staff. I happen to work for the Director that calls himself the "the gay trouble maker", on Vimeo. The director that I reported to was rated one of the worst in the whole company on an employee survey and they kept him. More than half of the department left the company and it was a very cohesive group for the exception of the director. I have never worked at a company where the managers and directors have such a disrespect for their employees. What is odd is the executives and family members are always respectful. There is just a huge issue with the director and managers and the HR dept.. HR at NORDAM is a meant to support the managers and directors. If you are an employee with an issue keep it to yourself because you don't have an HR department to help you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways take in everyones opinion and realize there are good ideas that may not be yours. Value your employees they also deserve respect. Look up the definition to boundaries.

The real NORDAM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe learning opportunities are great. NORDAM works on a lot of different things.

ConsThe company seems to be all that matters. They say they want you to have a balanced life with work and family, but reality seems to be company comes first.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and their knowledge. Stop leading from your ivory towers.

Great Family Company with good expectation in aerospace enviroment

Mechanical Assembler (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsGood benefit, the work expectation are well, good peoples in facilities,

ConsWorker with capabilities can create better performing if they can be in charge of any project . Therefore, the department will be integrated accurately.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can created better atmosphere for the new talents workers to be in charge of any project . Consequently, the department will be integrated accurately exceeding the company expectations.

Hard working people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFilled with great people who work hard to meet goals. The training department delivers quality classes to help further your skills.

ConsWork-life balance was hard to achieve within this fast-paced-do-it-better-than-everyone-else industry.

I had a great time and learnt a lot

Quality Engineer-Intern (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsFriendly employees. Good Work life balance(fixed working hours, OT rare) Good training conducted for employees for future career development

ConsLower pay compared to competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

It was a pretty mundane work environment.

Systems Intern (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsLow Pressure Environment
    Friendly, Helpful Co-workers with a lot of experience.
    Chances to move up in the company relatively quickly.
    A lot of benefits with the company on top of the salary.

ConsPretty mundane environment with little excitement.
    Not much hands on work available.
    They have a difficult time recruiting and keeping young people because the work environment is so stale.

Good place to work in Tulsa.

Engineer I (Current Employee)

ProsSalary is good for the Oklahoma area

ConsBetter comunication from senior leadership.

Worked for NORDAM? Contribute to the Community!