NORESCO Reviews

Neil Petchers

1. Energy Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agana Heights, GU
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agana Heights, GU

I worked at NORESCO (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly complex rewarding work combining energy, engineering, and financials

Cons

Lack of teamwork, mandatory travel

2. Has great potential

I have been working at NORESCO (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly technical, exposure to many technologies, travel to interesting places. Can be rewarding if placed in proper situation.

Cons

Upper management has too tight of a rein in individual project details and does not trust those below them. Too many levels of review and processes greatly hinders work efforts.

Management is very difficult and fosters environment of low employee morale

I worked at NORESCO

Pros

Salary ability to balance work and life

Cons

Advancement for women and minorities very very difficult. Management does not offer promotion based on education, skill level, or proven work ethics and have many times promoted others due to race gender and lesser skills and capabilities

Advice to Management

Management should adhere to the numerous ethics trainings that are required of its employees. If management does not complete the training, maybe they should start.

5. Great company where you can make a difference.

I have been working at NORESCO (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for a company in the energy industry where the work we do makes a difference in reducing our country's energy consumption is very rewarding. The work is challenging and the management team is supportive. No one works in an island. It's a team environment. NORESCO is committed to customer satisfaction. That's important to me. It's also important to drive and produce results. I have a strong sense of satisfaction for the work I do and feel appreciated.

Cons

Dealing with our parent company.

Advice to Management

Better training programs and avenues for more growth opportunities.

The Emperor Wears No Clothes

I worked at NORESCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent choice of healthcare options including High Deductible plans and health savings accounts.

Cons

This is very hierarchical organization with don't ask, don't tell management practices. Senior management, located on the east coast, embraces Chris Christie-style leadership style characterized by intimidation and bullying. Micromanagement of staff is severe and widespread throughout every level of the organization. Strong culture of fear and mistrust. Management favors a highly competitive environment over one of collaboration or consensus. Employees are worked very hard and expected to “punch the clock,” with little or no flexibility in schedules or ability to telecommute unless you hold a supervisor/management position. Excessive security protocols contribute to an operationally dysfunctional, Big Brother-like work environment with enormous inefficiencies in internal processes between departments. Work harder, not smarter is the status quo. Exercising independent thought or honesty are enormous liabilities in an organization with this type of culture. Benefits are anemic: ten days of vacation annually, with no ability to carry over to the next year and no increase in vacation until year 5 of service. Raises are given only with promotions, which are rare. Expect to be given more and more work with additional responsibilities each year at your performance review, but you will not be compensated for it. A 1-2% cost of living adjustments is what everyone receives, irrespective of performance. Employees are actively discouraged from fully using their benefits. Policy changes are not appropriately communicated throughout the organization, resulting in employees consistently misinformed and short-changed. Little or no opportunity for advancement. Burnout is commonplace. Morale is low, turnover is high. I have been in the workforce for 35 years and have never felt so dehumanized by my employer. This is the kind of company that demonstrates through its culture, management, and policies that "corporate America" is synonymous with exploitation and an abusive work environment. I am ashamed to have worked for this company. Two words: Run. Away.

Advice to Management

The numerous ethics classes employees are required to take annually go both ways. Your employees are ethical; your management and culture towards your employees are not.

RSS Feed </> Embed