NORR

Be The First To
Add Photos

Coreen Paul

Great place to work at

Job Captain (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at NORR

ProsPleasant environment, Flexible hours, Interesting projects, Good working ethics

ConsSome of the business strategies, techniques and tools are somehow out dated and do not meet the current market needs or the junior staff expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping a business running since 1938 took a lot of effort and talent; keeping it running in today's economic landscape requires even more of the same.

Disappointing experience with non genuine management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI

I worked at NORR full-time for more than a year

ProsLoved the work and industry

ConsExpected to give 120% in your work, yet are abruptly laid off without reason. Management claims they are not legally responsible to explain their decision. Culture is very competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff like they are appreciated for their work and dedication.

It's a good place ... to start

Designer (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at NORR full-time for less than a year

ProsThes best location with all services around.
Environment.
High profile projects
Pay is ok, not bad.
The best are the people (amazing) can't complain.

ConsWhen you start you may feel that this is the dream place to work, and it is close to be. If you ask other people how long they have hold a position, they may reply by two digits number (and then you start to think about). After two years doing the same you may ask for something else more relevant to do and the advance is nule. Even if the projects are high profile and many many people can fight to enter to this office, it is quite hard to advance to the next level or position.
***Usually the same person gets all the designs and proposals, and if not, that same person makes sure that you don't get any... Many decided to leave for the same reason and it is a shame that upper management don't try to get best results and profit by distributing the work equaly, among other talented people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTwo ideas;
- Before entering I contacted a former interviewer to ask about this office and the reply was "It is a good place to start". (you can conclude why)
- People may stay if they get the chance to advance and change their underline through the years, from "assistant" to "manager" instead of "senior assistant".

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

EIT

EIT (Current Employee)

I have been working at NORR full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat projects
good cooworkers
work life balance

ConsVery corporate
opportunities for advancement are vague
do not do much to hold on to talent

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in good talent for the future, do not wait until someone decides to leave so that you offer them what they are truly worth

A company with decent pay, decent range of projects, but lacking in real integration and leadership

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at NORR full-time for more than a year

ProsAs with most companies, there are great people. In fact, the people in this company this companies greatest asset - they work hard, are mostly helpful and congenial. Decent workstations (wide screen dual monitors as standard for anyone doing design, autocad, modeling, etc). A starbucks and a tim hortons inside the lobby of the buildings (NORR hq, Toronto)

ConsUpper management - not forthcoming with plans, lacks real leadership. Raises for performance really don't exist, questionable even when promoted to a higher level or position of responsibility. Poor office layout, workspace, employee areas (kitchen, eating area, etc). Very cheap with everything for employees (coffee, furniture, software, office supplies, etc). No incentive to perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your employees. Talk to them. Realize that the company is only good because of the people you have. If you lose them to your competitors, your screwed. Talent and skill don't grow on trees - know your performers and your talent, pay them and advance them appropriately.

NORR is an excellent place to gain experience and learn the ins and outs of the profession.

Architectural Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at NORR

ProsCoworkers are always happy to offer help, explain new tricks and share their ideas
Office atmosphere is relaxed and you can come in later as long as you get your job done
Plenty of areas to grow as a designer and work closely with engineers (mechanical, electrical, structural), interior designers, spec writers and other production employees
Able to participate at all phases of a project as well as carry out a project from schematic design, through design development to construction documents
Overtime hours are paid with an hourly pay contract

ConsThe design department does a lot of overtime throughout the year
Production and design departments don't collaborate as much as they should and sometimes once projects pass the schematic design phase they are taken over by the production department.

Worked for NORR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NORR reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NORR CEO Coreen Paul. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by NORR employees.