NPR

NPR Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Paul Haaga

Great Place to Work....

Sharc Project (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at NPR full-time for less than a year

ProsVery professional environment, and interesting people to work with...

ConsAt the time there were no positions available to become a full time employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorked there during the Sharc project and loved it. I wish I could have joint there IT department.

Amazing opportunity, wish I could have stayed

Multimedia Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NPR as an intern for less than a year

ProsOne of the best working environments I've been in! Fantastic co-workers with a lot of knowledge and willingness to share career advice. It does pay unlike a lot of media internships. I was treated like a full-time employee, not an intern. I was given real work -- no fetching coffee!

The coffee machines in the kitchens are a lifesaver.

It's NPR!

ConsThe monthly stipend is pretty bad, which made it difficult to find housing for the internship period. I also worked way more than 40 hours a week, which could be a pro or con to some, but I wish I was paid overtime (your stipend stays the same no matter how many hours you put in.)

Wish I had opportunities for employment at the end of the internship. Don't expect a job at the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more interns! We dedicate an enormous amount of time and energy to the company. I just wish interns had the opportunity to move up instead of heading to another company praying for a job.

A convenient place to work.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at NPR full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCreative people. Great location. Fair work-life balance, good time-off policies. Chance to see good entertainment. The top tier of management is compensated very well and there are a lot of them.

ConsPoor management, lay-offs every few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example. At least pretend you care about your people.

Great co-workers; disappointing upper management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NPR full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFilled with kind, creative, intelligent people to work with. Fantastic culture. Most people are fairly supportive. Work-life balance depends on where you're land in the organization - some shows and divisions have a healthy appreciation for work/life. Same goes for career growth and compensation. For the most part, people have a positive reaction when they learn you work at NPR.

ConsGiven they pay significantly less than other similar industry jobs, executives are either under-qualified or don't have many other opportunities available (obviously there are some exceptions but many of those people have been marginalized, retired or shoved out the door). Definitely impacted by financial and auto industries bottoming out but plenty of poor decision making inside the organization will leave NPR and the public radio system hurting for years (so many talented people across the board lost in several rounds of RIFs). Terrible communication between divisions (maybe this has improved by getting everyone under one roof at HQ but at one point they had three different buildings with various levels of restricted access to navigate within two blocks of each other). When outside people find out you work at NPR, they might hold you personally responsible for Bob Edwards firing.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

One of the greatest working experiences I ever had.

Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at NPR as a contractor for less than a year

Pros-The talent, the atmosphere, the culture.

Cons-Not really a con, but NPR is a nonprofit, so you won't get the big salaries like in other news organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep what you're doing and that is bring informative news.

Everything is great but the stipend

Digital Media Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at NPR as an intern for less than a year

Prosflexible, not so much work to do, you have time to keep hunting jobs. Nice working environment. Nice and smart colleagues.

ConsSalary is extremely low. Nearly cover the basic living expense.

The management direction always seems to be shifting but they produce great news and the organization is focused on that

I have been working at NPR full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, good work-life balance, you can feel great about working there. The new building is awesome and you take the metro to work

ConsSome managers are out of their depth, the highest level of management is always revolving and it's a distraction. Management changes and actions shouldn't ever make "news".

NPR is a great workplace for twenty-somethings or people who love the NEWS

Marketing, Branding, Communications Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NPR as an intern for less than a year

ProsCompany Culture is great - tons of company gatherings!

ConsNew HQ is in the middle of an up-an-coming neighborhood, so lunch options are limited!

One of the favorite things about NPR is working with a diverse group of people, which is what I value.

Distribution, Marketing & Communications Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NPR as an intern for less than a year

ProsThere are lots of open-minded people and the employees there are great. I taught American Sign Language to multiple staff of NPR and I absolutely loved doing it for them.

ConsThere are some departments that lack communication and they are sometimes too flexible with a lot of things going on in the work force.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe HR department needs to work on internal communication.

Counsel

Compliance Counsel (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at NPR as a contractor

ProsThe good part of this job is that you're working for something you can hopefully believe in and you know you can be around as long as you like because the company isn't going anywhere.

ConsThe work was neither fulfilling nor satisfying, and it often did not fill up my entire day.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis might be a more dynamic company if it were to go public and be subjected to market pressures that would cause some winnowing that might be for the best.

Worked for NPR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NPR reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NPR CEO Paul Haaga. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by NPR employees.