NPR

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Paul Haaga

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to Work....

Sharc Project (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at NPR full-time for less than a year

ProsVery professional environment, and interesting people to work with...

ConsAt the time there were no positions available to become a full time employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorked there during the Sharc project and loved it. I wish I could have joint there IT department.

Amazing opportunity, wish I could have stayed

Multimedia Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NPR as an intern for less than a year

ProsOne of the best working environments I've been in! Fantastic co-workers with a lot of knowledge and willingness to share career advice. It does pay unlike a lot of media internships. I was treated like a full-time employee, not an intern. I was given real work -- no fetching coffee!

The coffee machines in the kitchens are a lifesaver.

It's NPR!

ConsThe monthly stipend is pretty bad, which made it difficult to find housing for the internship period. I also worked way more than 40 hours a week, which could be a pro or con to some, but I wish I was paid overtime (your stipend stays the same no matter how many hours you put in.)

Wish I had opportunities for employment at the end of the internship. Don't expect a job at the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more interns! We dedicate an enormous amount of time and energy to the company. I just wish interns had the opportunity to move up instead of heading to another company praying for a job.

A convenient place to work.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at NPR full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCreative people. Great location. Fair work-life balance, good time-off policies. Chance to see good entertainment. The top tier of management is compensated very well and there are a lot of them.

ConsPoor management, lay-offs every few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example. At least pretend you care about your people.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the greatest working experiences I ever had.

Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at NPR as a contractor for less than a year

Pros-The talent, the atmosphere, the culture.

Cons-Not really a con, but NPR is a nonprofit, so you won't get the big salaries like in other news organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep what you're doing and that is bring informative news.

Everything is great but the stipend

Digital Media Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at NPR as an intern for less than a year

Prosflexible, not so much work to do, you have time to keep hunting jobs. Nice working environment. Nice and smart colleagues.

ConsSalary is extremely low. Nearly cover the basic living expense.

NPR is a great workplace for twenty-somethings or people who love the NEWS

Marketing, Branding, Communications Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NPR as an intern for less than a year

ProsCompany Culture is great - tons of company gatherings!

ConsNew HQ is in the middle of an up-an-coming neighborhood, so lunch options are limited!

One of the favorite things about NPR is working with a diverse group of people, which is what I value.

Distribution, Marketing & Communications Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NPR as an intern for less than a year

ProsThere are lots of open-minded people and the employees there are great. I taught American Sign Language to multiple staff of NPR and I absolutely loved doing it for them.

ConsThere are some departments that lack communication and they are sometimes too flexible with a lot of things going on in the work force.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe HR department needs to work on internal communication.

Counsel

Compliance Counsel (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at NPR as a contractor

ProsThe good part of this job is that you're working for something you can hopefully believe in and you know you can be around as long as you like because the company isn't going anywhere.

ConsThe work was neither fulfilling nor satisfying, and it often did not fill up my entire day.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis might be a more dynamic company if it were to go public and be subjected to market pressures that would cause some winnowing that might be for the best.

Good enviroment to learn, nowhere to grow

Production Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at NPR as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsWork with passionate and intelligent people who often become good friends, solid pay for journalism (despite little opportunity for raises), good health/dental/eye insurance

ConsVirtually no opportunity for promotion, really bad hours if you work in the News Division, employees are blinded by the glitz and perks of media despite company flaws, not rewarded by managers for accomplishments, bad managers, many people temp for years without getting a "full-time" job

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote employees or at least encourage them, if promotion isn't financially possible

The smartest colleagues I've ever worked with in my career

Leadership (Current Employee)

I have been working at NPR full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with the best in their respective fields, strong commitment to work/life balance, creativity and innovation are encouraged.

ConsLeadership instability (mostly CEO), cross-company communication could improve, news is typically at the forefront, understandable in many ways given who we are - but the idea of "news" and "everyone else" can be demotivating.

Advice to Senior ManagementImportant for senior leadership to be more cohesive. Continue investing in digital growth, and empower your younger leaders to take the wheel to NPR's future. You'll be in good hands with the talent you have.

Worked for NPR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NPR reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NPR CEO Paul Haaga. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by NPR employees.