NRG Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

NRG Energy President, CEO, and Director David W. Crane

David W. Crane

Pros
  • Good pay in easy job environment(in 5 reviews)

• Great people to work with especially in Reliant part of the business(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It really comes down to one thing ---- Zero work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

• Senior Management does not have a good strategy for the company(in 5 reviews)

Work Life Balance? In a few years working at NRG you forget what that means!

Account Manager (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsAttractive Bonus and more pay than other companies (that is what most people working at NRG think). Free 3 course lunch is provided all 5 days.

ConsThe salary and the bonus package may be attractive but if you see the number of hours you work-the per hour salary and the stress is not worth working at NRG. For the last 10 years NRG is in an buying spree-it keeps acquiring bigger corporations thus overloading work for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you acquire more companies, increase the work force proportionately. Employees do have life outside NRG

OK place to work

Director (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMajority of the people are nice, into community works.

ConsSenior Management does not have a good strategy for the company. They are all over the places.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the core business. Buying businesses, but not integrating well will not make the company successful

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Insecure leadership. Inexperienced employees. Lazy work environment.

Director (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLow expectations. Good pay. Bankers hours. Most employees are pleasant to work with.

ConsInexperienced leaders made up of only long-term employees with no real-world experience. Watch your back with all leaders across the company. Lots of wasted time in meetings. No one can make a decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit focusing on PR activities and look at real value creation. Bring in people with real business experience if you hope to survive long term. CEO creates a bad environment and encourages in-fighting which only results in wasted effort internally rather than how to grow the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Benefits, Horrible Management

ProsCompensation, benefits are good, free lunch

ConsLong hours, incompetent management, expectations are moving targets, heavily political working environment, management does not care about employees at all, management has no integrity (for the group I'm in)

Advice to Senior Managementbe honest, take care of your employees, be respectful

Good for mid and senior level employees. Not recommended for analysts/associates

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpen door, high level of responsibilities

ConsUnstructured, poor (or lack thereof) mentorship / career development program

I have learned quite a bit working at NRG, as many different technologies are being used here.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSupportive managers, interesting and challenging opportunities abound. Great benefits including insurance, 401k, profit sharing, and yearly performance based incentives.

ConsNot a lot of options to move up the corporate ladder - though this may be temporary. Work from home generally not allowed except in extenuating circumstances.

Unhappy former employee telling it like it really is.

FOT Senior (Former Employee) Birdsboro, PA

ProsGreat Money and Benefits. Interesting work.

ConsCompany really doesn't care about the power plant employees. Just a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the people that make the company go.

Great people, poor opportunities

Analyst (Former Employee) Larkspur, CA

ProsExcellent teams, fantastic spirit, decent access to higher management for communication. The office culture is fantastic, and the management is well put together.

ConsPoor exit opportunities, terrible cross-department communication, slow deadlines and plenty of dead weight. There are better opportunities for talent.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Solid company but low-energy environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice office in Houston, professional work environment for the most part.

ConsLow-energy environment. On-boarding process was very limited.

Sincerely Depends on the Group You Work In

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

Pros- Smartest people I have ever worked with
    - Good pay
    - Changing company in a strong industry
    - Can drive change in the organization

ConsIt really comes down to one thing ---- Zero work/life balance. Don't take the below comments as a 'rant', but as genuine honesty. I am a happy employee, but there is even so much I can take before I burn out and am forced to find a job elsewhere.

Working weekends, and at an absolute minimum availability to work on the weekends, is expected. When you are on vacation/PTO you are expected to do work if needed (means your blackberry and laptop are always with you). This of course depends on the group you end up in, however any finance-related role other than trading.....good luck. - I know many people who have had at most 2 weekends completely off in the last 6 months.

Its unfortunate because its a great company in every way except for one critical deficiency: "your personal live is secondary, and if you feel otherwise then get a new job" is the mentality. This overshadows employee morale.

To be honest, and I am sure most employees at NRG feel this way, I wonder why I don't go into investment banking or management consulting. Like all NRG employees, I am definitely smart enough, work the same amount of hours, and despite the good pay I could make more elsewhere....food for thought, right?

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that just saying "Good Job" is not enough to keep up employee morale. The pay is great, benefits are pretty good, and the free food is a nice perk, however this does not correct the fact that no one who works here feels that its OK to have any non-work related activities. I don't want to feel guilty to spend time with my kids, or be able to relax on the weekends, or to take PTO, yet the managerial culture and workload make us feel this way.

Create a culture that cares about employee morale, and enforce it. Otherwise wait and see the mass exodus that will come as all your employees burn out, myself included.

Worked for NRG Energy? Contribute to the Community!