NRG Energy

Add Photos

NRG Energy President, CEO, and Director David W. Crane

David W. Crane

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great learning experience, very open management

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsOpen office leads to open managers. The ability to just walk up to the desk of anyone in the company, including the CEO, breeds great morale and greatly facilitates collaboration. Also, great catered lunch.

ConsMatrix organization can lead to doing double work, as you try to convince two bosses to agree to a project. Also, as far as the Princeton location is concerned, rush hour traffic is rough.

Work Life Balance? In a few years working at NRG you forget what that means!

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsAttractive Bonus and more pay than other companies (that is what most people working at NRG think). Free 3 course lunch is provided all 5 days.

ConsThe salary and the bonus package may be attractive but if you see the number of hours you work-the per hour salary and the stress is not worth working at NRG. For the last 10 years NRG is in an buying spree-it keeps acquiring bigger corporations thus overloading work for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you acquire more companies, increase the work force proportionately. Employees do have life outside NRG

Sincerely Depends on the Group You Work In

Princeton, NJ

Pros- Smartest people I have ever worked with
    - Good pay
    - Changing company in a strong industry
    - Can drive change in the organization

ConsIt really comes down to one thing ---- Zero work/life balance. Don't take the below comments as a 'rant', but as genuine honesty. I am a happy employee, but there is even so much I can take before I burn out and am forced to find a job elsewhere.

Working weekends, and at an absolute minimum availability to work on the weekends, is expected. When you are on vacation/PTO you are expected to do work if needed (means your blackberry and laptop are always with you). This of course depends on the group you end up in, however any finance-related role other than trading.....good luck. - I know many people who have had at most 2 weekends completely off in the last 6 months.

Its unfortunate because its a great company in every way except for one critical deficiency: "your personal live is secondary, and if you feel otherwise then get a new job" is the mentality. This overshadows employee morale.

To be honest, and I am sure most employees at NRG feel this way, I wonder why I don't go into investment banking or management consulting. Like all NRG employees, I am definitely smart enough, work the same amount of hours, and despite the good pay I could make more elsewhere....food for thought, right?

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that just saying "Good Job" is not enough to keep up employee morale. The pay is great, benefits are pretty good, and the free food is a nice perk, however this does not correct the fact that no one who works here feels that its OK to have any non-work related activities. I don't want to feel guilty to spend time with my kids, or be able to relax on the weekends, or to take PTO, yet the managerial culture and workload make us feel this way.

Create a culture that cares about employee morale, and enforce it. Otherwise wait and see the mass exodus that will come as all your employees burn out, myself included.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with a promising future

Sales (Current Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsLeadership has vision and executes quickly on opportunities

ConsGrowth and change are constant. I personally see that as a good thing, but many shy from it.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to acknowledge the employees for their hard work and commitment.

Opportunistic organization with an aggressive corporate culture.

Manager, Business Development (Current Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsNRG dabbles in areas outside its traditional business which sometimes creates new opportunities. Ample flexibility to move within the organization.

ConsCorporate culture needs improvement. Work/Life balance seems to apply only to senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote meritocracy rather than relationships, reward substance rather than facetime.

Great place to work!

Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsFabulous pay/bonus structure & benefits
    Free lunch daily in company cafeteria
    Forward thinking and strategic player in the marketplace

Consopen work environment
    all business no play

Advice to Senior Management- could use some more HR programs involving employees and connecting employees with other groups than they work with daily

Great company to work for but be aware of politics

ProsSolid compensation package
    High degree of trust to analysts/managers
    Accessibility of top management

ConsLong hours
    Too much politics at directors -VP level
    Bi-lateral moves are discouraged

Advice to Senior ManagementBi-lateral moves promote interdepartmental knowledge sharing. Don't let you VP/Directors stop people from being promoted outside of their business areas

NRG - Great Place to Work!

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsThe company and employees are excellent! Would highly recommend as a place to work.

ConsCompany frowns upon working from home which hard at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more lax approach for working arrangements would be appreciated.

NRG Energy?

Princeton, NJ

ProsNRG promotes an entrepreneurial spirit, however that has led to several dysfunctional departments in which management feedback is not effectively communicated.

ConsNo Work / life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide effective feedback to employees
    Be Fair

Thumbs up @ NRG

Manager (Current Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsNRG is a great place to work, with a supportive group of senior managers who are more accessible and approachable than at any place I've ever worked. I've worked for the company for about 18 months, and have gained invaluable knowledge of and experience in the power industry.

NRG is breaking new ground in the nuclear and solar power realms, making it a very forward-thinking workplace where innovation is embraced, new ideas encouraged and young leaders' careers developed. NRG's benefits package is also very generous, with a great health care provider and generous annual incentive plan.

ConsNo major cons - you need to be very amenable to change, as the company is growing quickly in different areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up your open dialogues with employees through town halls, etc. - it's very useful.

Worked for NRG Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NRG Energy reviews and ratings in Princeton, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NRG Energy CEO David W. Crane. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by NRG Energy employees.