NSK Corporation Reviews

Norio Otsuka

Bureaucratic and political environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at NSK Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement. Compensation is very fair and transparent.

Cons

Employ a lot of temps on a permanent basis.

Make sure that you leave before they show you the door.

I worked at NSK Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I had good relationships with my colleagues and all but my last sales manager.

Cons

I recently completed a 5+ year sales career and the company left me with a variety of grievances which I've documented below. Sales is often a rough-and-tumble line of work but the circumstances of my dismissal was easily the worst professional experience of my career. I know of many people who got the trap door treatment during my tenure with NSK. They have a bad reputation; and they don't care.

My circumstance is documented as follows:

In spite of the positive reviews and regular bonuses that characterized my five and a half year tenure with NSK I was dismissed abruptly two weeks before the Christmas Holiday without any kind of probationary period. The fourteen months in my latest role did not include one complete fiscal year on which to judge my sales performance.
    I was subsequently offered a minimal severance package in exchange for my signing what amounted to a two-year non-solicitation agreement with a variety of other objectionable verbage. The agreement also suggested that the company would challenge my unemployment claim if I didn't sign. This made it something of a personal matter because I have a family to support. I was informed by the HR department that no modification of the agreement was possible. With guidance from my attorney I never signed the agreement.
    The company followed through on its threat to challenge my claim for unemployment. The challenge created a five week delay in my receipt of benefits. I was ultimately deemed eligible and received my benefits; presumably because NSK had no basis to challenge the claim.
    While it would be bad enough to explain this as the consequences of a disagreement with one of the sales managers it's clear that my dismissal experience had the support of senior management, HR and the Legal Department.

They're not interested in my advice.

Not bad

I have been working at NSK Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

NSK's products are quite basic mechanical parts.
    And, It's quality is very good, I think.
    Risk of terminations is very low.

Cons

IT system is quite old and slow.
    It does not help my work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Truly a horrific company, I have never worked at a more disorganized or unethical company before.

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at NSK Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I do not have any pros.

Cons

NSK is an extremely high stress environment that requires long hours, including weekends. The roles were clearly defined so that blame for issues could be properly assigned and any praise would be directed at senior management. Human Resources was not helpful at bringing new employees into the company fold. Every department had extremely high turnover rates, averaging 6 employees per role every year. The hiring process is manual, such that there is no electronic application. Co-workers were catty, very sexual with each other, people were unable to separate personal and professional lives. The company was busted for price fixing by the US Department of Justice in 2013. Furthermore, compensation and benefits packages are below industry standards. Only the privileged few are offered training, otherwise, it is learn as you go.

Stop the sexual atmosphere before someone sues for harassment. Increase wages and offer better benefit packages. Encourage employees and staff to learn about products, technical details, programs and processes. People are not robots, praise them occasionally and do not expect them to have ten years of knowledge in 2 months. If a process is done a certain way, explain the process, perhaps introduce a new employee orientation for all new hires. Update application process from manual submission of resume and handwritten application to electronic submission of resume and online application process.

Excellent if you don't mind working overtime

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Franklin, IN
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Franklin, IN

I worked at NSK Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pleased with Job Security and Benefits

Cons

Low Morale due to Excessive Overtime

Overall, very good company, but great people to work with

Current Employee - Manager  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at NSK Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Steady employment future. Does not make drastic cuts to employee number and benefits during recessionary periods. Conservative approach to business limits risk. Acceptable profit sharing and bonus structure.

Cons

Could have a better leader development program. Low risk philosophy prevents reaching aggressive growth. Acceptable annual pay increases are lacking.

Supervisors discriminated and had there workhorses and there friends.

Former Employee - Quality  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Quality in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at NSK Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Money was good if you liked OT

Cons

If you weren't one of "them" you would get the shaft.

SELL the Company to someone who cares for people, not PROFITS.

A once good company that has eroded to mediocrity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at NSK Corporation

Pros

You have the opportunity to gain experience in different functional areas over time.
    The quality of products are very consistent.
    Risk of terminations is pretty low (too low before the 2009 downturn).

Cons

The quality of leadership and their ability to create a shared vision, and culture has eroded over the past 5 years.
    The ogranization is risk averse and internally focused on pleasing management than external customers.

A wonderful stepping stone toward future goals. They strongely support education and career advancement.

Current Employee - Account Specialist A  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Account Specialist A in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at NSK Corporation

Pros

There are plenty of career advancement opportunities and flexibility in the scheduling. Management often works around school schedules and provide reviews that are very beneficial for future advancement.

Cons

Sometimes there are freezes in providing promotions and raises due to economic downfalls. However, this could likely happen anywhere.

There need to be a stronger Needs Improvement Program.

Great company good people

Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at NSK Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent products and a great sales team to get them to market.

Cons

Canadian market is small and getting production of product can be challenge.

Worked for NSK Corporation? Contribute to the Community!