NSTAR Reviews

NSTAR Chairman, President, CEO, and Trustee Tom May
Tom May

1. I go to work everyday doing what I love to do

I have been working at NSTAR

Pros

Being part of the union, and having a collective bargaining agreement definitely works in your favor. Because most things are based on seniority, It leaves little chance for favoritism.

Cons

Since everything is based on seniority, if you are in your first 1-3 yrs on the job you can forget about having any days surrounding a holiday off! Time off is monopolized by the top 10 employees with the most seniority and its annoying!

Advice to Management

Each call is expected to wrap in 75 seconds after the call. Your best employees take longer than that to ensure that accounts are noted properly, documents that were promised are actually sent and any follow up necessary is complete. Your focus is in the wrong area. Those who do average just 1 minute in after all are not doing their job fully.

Regret ever taking a job with the company.

I have been working at NSTAR

Pros

stable, high paying job if in union.
    Vacation & holidays are better than most places.

Cons

Lay offs can happen if outside of union or not in union long enough.
    Hostile work environment from both management & coworkers; constant gossiping is reminiscent of high school.
    Benefits vary drastically depending on non-union vs. union & on date of hire. Healthcare is not as good compared to a few years ago.
    Technology is extremely archaic, management refuses to update IT infrastructure.
    The longer you work here, the greater the skills gap will become.

Advice to Management

Do not micromange!
    Pay all employees fairly for storm duty or do not use non-union employees, it's not fair to those outside of union to sacrifice their time equally without compensation.
    Treat employees with respect and as adults, do not act like you are better than those you supervise.
    Update technology.
    Hire enough people, instead of overworking the ones you have.

Poor experience with a company that has a sixties management style.

Former Employee - Staff Person in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Person in Boston, MA

I worked at NSTAR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

No idea where to start... self-serving senior management. Antiquated technology. No growth opportunities. Work is unappreciated. Management refuses to hold its leadership team to the same standards DEMANDED of workers. ZERO accountability at the top.

Not a place for new graduates to start a career. Directors and vp's, once appointed stay in jobs until they have to wheel them out. No chance of advancement. You will get strung along in the charade they called the "talent pool". You are given promises of the world until they determine they have no use for you and then your career is done.

Try to get a job in the real world afterwards... Good luck.

Advice to Management

Can't give this management team advice because they firmly believe they have all the answers.

Disfunctional

Current Employee - Administrative in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Westwood, MA

I have been working at NSTAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has been around for many years

Cons

They still work as two separate organizations

Advice to Management

Need to learn to communicate more

6. Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Westwood, MA

I have been working at NSTAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good work/life balance, still offer pension plans, interesting work

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement, behind the technological times (still use office 2003), very cheap (will not provide even management splitting time in two different locations with a laptop), almost everyone works in a cubicle with little light including managers.

Advice to Management

Upgrade technologies more quickly to be more in line with NU Philosophy, offer laptops to employees, provide more opportunities for advancement, provide all managers with an office.

7. Good place to work

I worked at NSTAR

Pros

Good benefits, good salary, good people

Cons

Limited advancement opportunity. Job losses after merger may impact future job security

Advice to Management

Use employees more

Worst job of my career

I worked at NSTAR

Pros

-It's good for people who want to stay forever and do the same thing in the same place for their entire careers.
    -The hours aren't bad.

Cons

-Uncollaborative employees who are unfriendly to new employees or new ideas. Extremely isolating environment. Very siloed.
    -Intensely bureaucratic. Need to drink the company cool-aid.
    -Limited opportunity for advancement. Employees often keep the same job titles for 25 years.
    -Location, combined with limited external interactions inhibit networking opportunities, leaves employees trapped at NSTAR.
    -Extreme cost control, to the point of absurdity: poor cafeteria, still require Office 2003 and IE8, no budget for team functions, spouses can't attend Holiday party, cheapest possible office supplies...

Advice to Management

From management's perspective, things are probably fine.
    Mergers + rate case avoidance + political connections = profits.
    We'll see what happens in the upcoming rate cases, but I think your failure to keep up with the times may mean the company gets burned.
    Don't fight grid modernization. It's coming anyway, so embrace it and profit from the new distribution infrastructure you'll have to build.

9. Good Company

I have been working at NSTAR

Pros

Good pay, good experience, learned allot

Cons

Gets slow at times due to lack of construction in winter, but besides that there is a small amount of cons to this job

Advice to Management

None

10. very good experience at this company

I have been working at NSTAR

Pros

a lot of opportunities here

Cons

a little slow moving but that is the nature of the industry

Good Compensation…..Great Career Development….Excellent People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

I have been working at NSTAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a “millennial” coming out of college I was apprehensive of joining NSTAR being that they were known for their “traditional nature”. But since Google or Facebook wasn’t knocking at my door, I thought I’d give this company a shot.

Two years later…… I’ve received a great opportunity to move up within my department, learned a wealth of knowledge from an excellent group of experienced co-workers and managers and couldn’t be happier with my decision!

•Compensation – In my opinion, NSTAR’s pay is above market average. I’m not a compensation expert, but from my own research looking at similar jobs and companies in the Northeast, it seems fairly generous.

•Career Development – NSTAR does a great job of developing their talent. Opportunities are there to be had; young job seekers should take notice!

•People – Best part of NSTAR is the people. I know this may differ between departments, but the company culture and atmosphere really seems to foster a positive, respectful work environment.

Cons

•Distance – Personally coming from Rhode Island, the commute isn’t ideal. But the Westwood office does have a commuter train within a mile (Route 128), which is very convenient. They also provide free cab service to and from the train station. For those trying go green, this is a great perk!

•Surrounding Developments- Currently I work in an industrial park. And while this may seems like a silly complaint, there are building developments being constructed at the bottom of the Westwood office hill. According to the Globe, they are planning to build a “Target”, “Nordstrom’s Rack”, “Wegmans”… hotels, restaurants etc. Not sure if having easy access to these establishments will be good for my wallet!

Advice to Management

If Tom May were sitting in front of me right now I’d thank him for the great job he’s done with the merger of NU. I am proud to say that I now work for a “Fortune 500 Company”! If anything else, it just adds merit to your resume if working here.

RSS Feed </> Embed