NSTAR

Add Photos

NSTAR Chairman, President, CEO, and Trustee Tom May

Tom May

Good Company

ProsGood pay, good experience, learned allot

ConsGets slow at times due to lack of construction in winter, but besides that there is a small amount of cons to this job

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worst job of my career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-It's good for people who want to stay forever and do the same thing in the same place for their entire careers.
    -The hours aren't bad.

Cons-Uncollaborative employees who are unfriendly to new employees or new ideas. Extremely isolating environment. Very siloed.
    -Intensely bureaucratic. Need to drink the company cool-aid.
    -Limited opportunity for advancement. Employees often keep the same job titles for 25 years.
    -Location, combined with limited external interactions inhibit networking opportunities, leaves employees trapped at NSTAR.
    -Extreme cost control, to the point of absurdity: poor cafeteria, still require Office 2003 and IE8, no budget for team functions, spouses can't attend Holiday party, cheapest possible office supplies...

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom management's perspective, things are probably fine.
    Mergers + rate case avoidance + political connections = profits.
    We'll see what happens in the upcoming rate cases, but I think your failure to keep up with the times may mean the company gets burned.
    Don't fight grid modernization. It's coming anyway, so embrace it and profit from the new distribution infrastructure you'll have to build.

very good experience at this company

Prosa lot of opportunities here

Consa little slow moving but that is the nature of the industry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former co-op

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe pay at NSTAR is decent, decent on site gym, solid cafeteria, good exposure, good work/life balance

Consvery old systems, no exposure to supervisor, lack of innovation, union breeds inefficient, most staff is old, unpleasant culture.

Great Place to work

Grad Intern (Current Employee) Westwood, MA

ProsGood people, friendly and helping

ConsToo far from the city

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job. If you can increase the sponsorhips, it would be a great chance

Good Compensationā€¦..Great Career Developmentā€¦.Excellent People

(Current Employee) Westwood, MA

ProsAs a “millennial” coming out of college I was apprehensive of joining NSTAR being that they were known for their “traditional nature”. But since Google or Facebook wasn’t knocking at my door, I thought I’d give this company a shot.

Two years later…… I’ve received a great opportunity to move up within my department, learned a wealth of knowledge from an excellent group of experienced co-workers and managers and couldn’t be happier with my decision!

•Compensation – In my opinion, NSTAR’s pay is above market average. I’m not a compensation expert, but from my own research looking at similar jobs and companies in the Northeast, it seems fairly generous.

•Career Development – NSTAR does a great job of developing their talent. Opportunities are there to be had; young job seekers should take notice!

•People – Best part of NSTAR is the people. I know this may differ between departments, but the company culture and atmosphere really seems to foster a positive, respectful work environment.

Cons•Distance – Personally coming from Rhode Island, the commute isn’t ideal. But the Westwood office does have a commuter train within a mile (Route 128), which is very convenient. They also provide free cab service to and from the train station. For those trying go green, this is a great perk!

•Surrounding Developments- Currently I work in an industrial park. And while this may seems like a silly complaint, there are building developments being constructed at the bottom of the Westwood office hill. According to the Globe, they are planning to build a “Target”, “Nordstrom’s Rack”, “Wegmans”… hotels, restaurants etc. Not sure if having easy access to these establishments will be good for my wallet!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Tom May were sitting in front of me right now I’d thank him for the great job he’s done with the merger of NU. I am proud to say that I now work for a “Fortune 500 Company”! If anything else, it just adds merit to your resume if working here.

Stable position with not much help furthering my career

Environmental Affairs Intern (Former Employee) Westwood, MA

ProsLarge company with very stable work as a public utility.
    Salary very favorable when compared with other intern positions around Boston.
    Many job opportunities for electrical and transmission engineers.

ConsSmall departments with not enough guidance from more senior engineers.
    Even though company was busy, not much work distributed to interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement and higher levels seem totally separated from the lower level employees such as myself at the time.

Good people

Systems Planning Intern (Current Employee) Westwood, MA

ProsFor student, right now there are a bunch of intern opportunity. People are very nice. In Engineering group, you will gain very useful practical experience in power field.

ConsSome intern job may be not that interesting, depend on what department you work for

Good Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork Hard and good things will happen

Conswell, what can I say?

Advice to Senior ManagementNSTAR was merger with NU, so I really can't say

NSTAR and NU Merger - from NU perspective

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Berlin, CT

ProsNSTAR has a diverse senior management.

ConsNo global communications, so conservative financially it slows internal processes

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn where to spend your money wisely. Value employee feedback. Communicate, allow employees to communicate. Value technology. Upper management should engage/communicate with employees more.

Worked for NSTAR? Contribute to the Community!