NSW Department of Health

www.doh.health.nsw.gob.au

NSW Department of Health Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

A depressing view of how my taxes are being wasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) North Sydney (Australia)

ProsWork life balance is really the only benefit here. At the lower end admin people are overpaid relative to their market value. At the senior end, people are under paid relative to market.

ConsThe mismanagement and waste is shameful. Public service mediocrity is the norm as its impossible to remove poor performers as managers are too afraid to be perceived poorly by others. Those that are surplus are referred to as displaced but don't actually leave ! They can continue to be there for years, surfing the net on full pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale would improve if the dead wood was removed.

HealthShare - Toxic, frustrating, and thoroughly incompetent. A disguising waste of taxpayers money!

Finance Management (Former Employee) Chatswood (Australia)

ProsRDO's, FACS Leave, Work/Life Balance, Salary is OK

ConsThere is a systematic culture of bullying and embarrassment, supported by the CEO of HealthShare, who employs his "friends" (lackies) as Directors. These "friends" are paid $1700 - $3000 per day through Recruitment Consultancies on multi year arrangements, and treat Staff with disdain. These people connive to protect each other, and undermine others. When there is an issue, a scape goat is needed, and they "point the finger" at a lower level Employee, or, Project Manager and terminate their employment. I have known employees to threaten suicide, take weeks off work on stress leave, and in one instance, commit suicide. There is also one Management Consultancy (a friend of the CEO HealthShare) that had supplied an inappropriately high number of Staff, again, on multi year arrangements, to do work that can easily be done by salaried staff at a fraction of the cost. Thus exacerbating my earlier point that this Directorate is a disguising waste of taxpayers money - that I experienced first hand over numerous years.
    The Workforce branch supports the CEO's modus operandi. And, is part of the problem.
    Staff progress on a favoritism basis, and certainly not on merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Directorate requires thorough external and unbiased scrutiny, probity, and restructure at all levels. Corruption, cronyism and a disturbing level of incompetence exist in this Organisation

great patients, skilled colleagues, sociopathic upper management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Prosfascinating and varied patients
    important and worthwhile work
    talented, skilled and experienced co-workers
    Lots of good leave- inc paid maternity and SLS

Consthe management are ambitious, manipulative sociopaths- this cannot be said enough. It takes 6 months for new staff to become cynical to them and their lies.

The only time management are held accountable for their actions is a EQUIP time, so then they scramble to cover up 4 years of neglect by promising improvements to the staff so we will say the right things to the Equip assessors and they will get away with their actions. Once Equip is over- the promises get broken.

The workload is often unreasonable- if you work too hard, then that becomes the accepted norm, and then when you burn out, it is interpreted as you having an anxiety disorder.

There are too many demands on staff to do irrelevant work- file audits, vehicle inspections, irrelevant training.

There is lots of emphasis on compiling statistics- which actually do not get looked at by people with the skills to do so and get misinterpreted at the first political opportunity.

Different services within health get funding and support depending on the bias and whims of the CEO and the cuteness of the patient population.

In our LHD, the management emphasis is on staying out of the media rather than good long-term patient management. When your service is not popular, they'll order a review on it to work out how to cut it down further.

Managers without clinical skills think that it is ok for them to make clinical decisions about clients needs.

Advice to Senior Managementwe know when you are lying to us.
    Please look at the research and evidence with an unbiased apolitical eye- otherwise what was the point of commissioning it?
    Your staff and patients know what you patients need- Why are you not listening to us???

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

working as a nurse is hectic but a fulfilling job. NSW health needs to increase nurses pay for the work they do!

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Prosgood benefits such as 76 hours sick pay per year. 6 weeks paid annual leave for rotating nurses and long service leave upon 10th year of employment in the public system

Conssalary could be better for the job that nurses do! low resourses in terms of staffing. nurses ended up overworked which is not good for patient care. overworked employees means more medicine errors, occupational safety issues.

Hospital operation performance data management and reporting

ProsGood working hours tax deduction

ConsNo salary increase or advancement unless job changing

Wouldn't work here again.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsInteresting work and some good people.

ConsPolitics, red tape and lack of good management - a toxic environment.

I like my job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood work life balance, nice people

ConsBullying, different rules for some poeple

A fair place to work as a health care worker with a good balance of work and lifestyle

Resident Medical Officer (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsStimulating work and high quality supervisors. There is also a wide range of employment options.

ConsPoor HR and medical administration.
    Poorly funded by the NSW government especially in non metropolitan regions.
    Standardised career pathway that rarely if at all rewards excellence

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater emphasis on flexibility especially as regards to allocation of terms and leave throughout the year.

"Great Purpose and Great Staff"

Policy Officer (Former Employee)

ProsYou go to work and come home everyday with a sense of accomplishment and pride; that you helped someone else achieve their goals. The staff was great to work with as well, very open and eager to teach. Supportive work environment.

ConsSmall company with little room for advancement, open air space office which has its benefits of making the office more comfortable and inviting, but it was often times very noisy and hard to concentrate on your own work when others are around.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great, more individualized and structured mentoring time with the CEO would be ideal in order to be able to advocate as effectively as possible.

Worked for NSW Department of Health? Contribute to the Community!