NTD Architects Reviews

Reset
2.8
Jay Little
1 Rating

1. Enough for What I Needed.

Former Employee - Designer in San Dimas, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in San Dimas, CA

I worked at NTD Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Minimal micro managing. Large well lit space. Was able to complete what I needed in the Architectural portion of the IDP. Built my resume with multi million dollar projects and project management. Full health, dental and 401K benefits. Holidays off. Flexible schedule. Comfortable break room/kitchen. Nice print room with effective print room employee. Built relationships with kind, hard working Architects that are still my mentors. Very good head of HR (she no longer works there). A lot of hard working dedicated people.

Cons

Questionable leadership and promotions. Clique culture, the loud ones got the attention. Management not aware of the work load of those that put their head down and worked very hard. Poor morale; assistants gossip, spy on others and report their 'findings' to their studio director. I was told by my original studio director that I was being 'watched' by her special spy. Probably her studio assistant. Very good people left because of poor treatment and being over worked. The same said studio director told my project architect she had to work all weekend and all night to get the project done, but she herself would not be there to help. Was left in the office alone on multiple occasions finishing up drawing sets, for final review for the client or a DSA submittal, with no project leaders to check the sets. Majority of work is not checked until it is at DSA for back-check. Rarely able to visit construction site. No opportunity for growth. I had to ask for my own raise ($2 increase; started at $17/hr). They decreased all salaries by 5%. Underpaid; not a livable wage.

Advice to Management

Remove trouble maker Principal. Check ALL the drawing sets several days before DSA submittal. Increase compensation.

2. Started out as a pretty good workplace and work environment. Company dynamics and the economy hit hard.

I worked at NTD Architects full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good workplace. Many great people within the organization. Positive upbeat work environment.

Cons

Lack of skilled management. Could sustain a rough economy. Company slowly collapsed.

Advice to Management

Value your greatest asset which is your employees.

3. Ups and downs of Company growth

I worked at NTD Architects full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management allowed for freedom of employees. No micromanaging. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Company merged with another company, tried to grow too fast and wasn't managed well. Has dwindled from 300+ employees into a small struggling company.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Focus on delivering good quality product to clients. Come to work as lead by example.

5. Employee friendly environment, needs skilled upper management.

I worked at NTD Architects full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly good people to work with. Lots of extracurricular activities and camaraderie. Options to move between office studios. Pleasant office work spaces in all offices locations.

Cons

Company had several significant changes over the past few years resulting in much downsizing of the company. Released CFO, COO and CEO all within a period of a few years. Current senior management is not skilled enough to successfully run a multi-office firm. Not as well known for their expertise in Healthcare and Education as they once were.

Advice to Management

Pad your pockets a little less, and reward your employees for their hard work. Get more input from your employees, they are your most valuable asset.

6. Ok place to work for

Former Employee - Intern in San Dimas, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Dimas, CA

Pros

Not much to describe but just an OK environment.

Cons

Not too much increase in salaries and bonuses

Advice to Management

To get the employees enjoy working the company, employer should reconized the all hard working eamployees.

7. Firm is slowly sinking

Former Employee - Job Captain in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Job Captain in San Diego, CA

Pros

Salary is fair, very good designers on staff

Cons

Employees don't get CA experience, because they have a separate CA department. Upper management seems out of touch with the employees, not much of a personal connection. The employees have low morale because of the massive layoffs that have plagued NTD recently.

Advice to Management

If you're laying off almost half of your workforce and forcing everyone to take a pay cut, maybe upper management should get rid of their company-paid luxury cars!

NTD company review

I worked at NTD Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The workforce has a lot of experienced Architects, PM's and CA's. People are great to work with in my studio.

Cons

Principals/Partners are extremely cheap when rewarding bonus and salary increase. Lucky if you get .50 raise a year or none at all. One Principal purposely delays these talks in order to gain the upper hand in determining your salary increase. Its very sad too because as employees we work long hours, weekends and nights to get the job done during Production. We deliver the project as per schedule therefore we should be rewarded financially for our efforts.

Advice to Management

unless there is new blood in terms of upper management there is no chance for the company to grow and be a strong competitor in architectural practice.

RSS Feed </> Embed