NTN Bearing

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pete Eich

My boss had a big heart and gave me a job when I was laid off even though I was over qualified.

ProsI really like my co-workers and my boss's. Love having nearly 2 weeks off over Christmas holiday. Love the cultural diversities. Love working 7am - 3pm

ConsHard to get used to a manufacturing environment when I came from the corporate world. Very noisy and dirty place to work. I had to wait a whole year before getting any sick days or vacation days. Hate only getting a half hour lunch break.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost companies give you sick days/vacation days after 6 months.

Depending on your job title there may not be much opportunity to advance.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mount Prospect, IL

ProsI like the people I worked with. Fairly good work/ personal life balance.

ConsCompany always tries to keep up with its competitor...Japanese management refuses to invest in high technology or research & development.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to be offered an increase without asking for it... that is why a lot of good people choose to leave. Just because people are smart doesn't mean that they know how to handle people (be managers).

Satisfying work/life balance with challenging projects to work on but still has a lot of improving to do w.r.t. culture.

ProsDecent company to work for. Good folks around the plant floor. Will work with you if you know how to deal with them. Great benefit package. One of the best around Illinois.

ConsGrowth opportunities are limited. General consensus is that people are under-paid for their efforts and performance. No raises, No bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh--it's a job. Nice people.

Engineer (Former Employee) Mount Prospect, IL

ProsGood benefits, mostly nice people.

ConsWay too internally and appearance focused. More concerned with weekly reports to sr. mgt. (which are forwarded to Japan), than customers. Category (bearings) is a commodity, and despite what they say, it all comes down to price. Theirs is too high.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your customers.

Unfairly laid off after 14 years

Operator, Set Up, Type Change (Former Employee) Elgin, IL

ProsClose to home, ok pay, good insurance and vacation time. A place that does seem to stick around.

ConsMany, typical non union butt kissing to get anywhere type of job, Japanese owned. Filthy place unless you are in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiring inept, uneducated foreign idiots for management and supervision. After my time there should have been no reason for letting me go.

Japanese based employment with several unqualified upper management

Coordinator (Current Employee) Frankfort, IN

ProsAs an operator, you have plenty of opportunities for overtime. 12 days on, 2 days off. Decent benefits.

ConsUpper management mentality that proves that they believe that they are still in Japan and not the US. Upper management, both Japanese and American, do not consider input from employees even they have a suggestion program. Currently experiencing an 60-80% turn over rate for hourly employees, and a 30-40% turn over rate of salary employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees with decision making responsibilities to make improvements that have been suggested and proven in other environments. Use your employee's previous experiences and award them for their efforts instead of singling out and harassing them.

Great place for the mediocre to survive.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Mount Prospect, IL

ProsThe benefits package is outstanding. It is difficult to match even with Fortune 500 companies.

ConsForeign management cannot communicate with local staff. Hard to move ahead when the boss can't understand what you're talking about. Concern about the ethics of upper Japanese management - this is the U.S., not Japan, but they don't seem to get that where people and the law are concerned. HR tells them it's against the law? Their answer? "Who cares, do it anyway."

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn English!!! Let your American President act like a President and the lead the organization rather than having them act as a Senior Sales Manager. Pete's trying but doesn't have the experience or support to do a good job.

Don't plan to make a career of working at NTN

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsIt's a steady paycheck and has good benefits

ConsNo career growth. Foreign management treats you like crap and has no understanding of your job function. Upper management (especially foreign) is completely inept and is running the company into the ground.

Advice to Senior Managementstop golfing and start paying attention to the crumbling infrastructure of your business.

Excited at first, but that dried up quickly

ProsGreat people to work with, co workers made work possible

ConsManagement was not very organized. From the top down there are major communication issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate more efficiently

Wasnt even given a chance

Machine Operator (Former Employee)

ProsShift differential
    They provide uniforms after 2 months

ConsSupervisor never even introduced himself
    They keep throwing you all over the place without actually training you
    Nobody knows whats going on, including the management
    Only one unpaid break
    Dirtiest place ive ever seen

I was accused of things I didnt do and was let go, I tried fighting it but they wont even listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you cared more about your employees maybe they would care more about their work...

Worked for NTN Bearing? Contribute to the Community!