NTN Buzztime Reviews

34 reviews filtered by
3.1
Ram Krishnan

1. Featured Review

I've been working at Buzztime for over 7 years. Great people, outstanding company culture.

I have been working at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Employees are treated very well. There is room for growth - many employees have carved out their own careers and moved up the company ladder. Benefits are great, plenty of paid holidays and fun game-testing happy hours on Fridays.

Cons

There has been lots of churn at the very top of the company over the years (Board Members, CEO's, Sr. Management) which has caused too much change in direction and wasted product. They are in the process of righting the ship and on the verge of release a new line of great products.

Advice to Management

Hang in there, one of these days a CEO will stick and we'll all move in a single direction :)

2. Fresh, Forward-Thinking, Innovative Company that is well on the way to greatness

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time

Pros

New, strong, transparent senior leadership that is remarkably reshaping the company from the top down. Values, including honesty and teamwork, and work/life balance run rampant through the organization and it is refreshing to see that everyone in a leadership role is on the same page. Fresh ideas are cultivated and rolled-out and feedback is not only welcomed but encouraged. Great location and awesome ping pong competition are great perks!

Cons

More cross-team building could be helpful to further encourage values so all facets of the organization could get to know others better that they may not work with on a daily or even weekly basis.

Advice to Management

Remember that roll-outs and change can cause a bit of distention within departments as they take on new roles and responsibilities.

3. Great company so far!

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Teamwork appears to happen across organizations, at least from my perspective. I have had the pleasure to work across the different departments and have yet to hit any road blocks in getting other employees to assist.

Cons

In my short time here, there has been a lot of upper level management turnover which can cause concern for employees that are new or don't have much interaction with senior management.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with the entire company on the changes and the direction we are going.

5. Hope

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a new energy within the company. The CEO is challenging employees while providing a direction. The product team is beginning to work well together to take Buzztime to the next level. There have been some great new people added to the team and prospects are good.

Cons

There are some people who have no business in the positions they are in, but there is hope that this will turn around.

Advice to Management

Find a way to trust those with proven experience. There is a lot of experience within the team and they have a lot to offer. Provide them with a clear attainable goal and give them the tools they need to achieve that goal. You will be impressed with the outcome.

The next few months will tell the tale

I have been working at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Casual work environment. The workers are great people

Cons

Upper management does not give much direction. Very few opportunities to rise in the ranks. Usually they hire from outside or promote contractors.

Advice to Management

Listen to the long term employees here. Many have ideas and input that are valuable. Just because a person has been hired in and is new does not mean they know whats best for the company or that their ideas are great.

a classic turnaround opportunity

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

leadership is committed to getting this company modernized.

Cons

legacy systems, old models for doing business (crm, billing, hr, customer service) are all a patchwork of older systems. the good news is a committed dev staff have built in reliability; the challenge is committing to newer models of doing business that embrace current technologies.

Advice to Management

take a tactical pause to fix legacy systems.

Too much turnover at the top.

Former Employee - Marketing in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great location - Carlsbad, CA!

Great people (most of them) - Made some amazing friends along the way and I would not trade that for the world.

Fun perks (ping pong, beer, BBQs) - They are trying to make a nice atmosphere for employees.

Cons

TONS of turnover - I was there for 6 years and had 4 CEOs and 16 bosses (literally).

Too many silos - Every department is doing their own thing, and they don't work together properly.

Poor communication - You have to seek information from people, it is not freely given when it should be.

Not enough staff - As management gets rid of old employees the tasks are piled onto existing employees and new people are not hired. I absorbed jobs from 4 other people during the 6 years and was rarely able to pass those tasks on to others. I was always under water and never had time to focus on what mattered. I was just bailing water out of the boat.

They do not promote from within - I worked extremely hard and was only promoted once about a year after I was first hired. New management keeps being hired from the outside and work horses remain work horses. Every time I applied for a position above me I was told that the board wanted to hire from outside the company. This does horrible things for moral. Every time I got a new boss I actually felt I was moving backwards in my career.

Moral is low - employees don't feel appreciated, or like their work matters.

Company is trying to be too many things - They need to focus on one thing and being really great at that one thing. Instead they keep trying to come out with new things and nothing is done well.

They don't listen to the people who have been at the company for a long time. They always want advice from someone new. So they spend a bunch of money on a consultant to hear something that an employee said years prior. This happened several times over the last few years.

Advice to Management

Have a regular review process and reward your good employees with wage increases and promotions. I did not have a wage increase for 4 years and I worked an insane amount.

Really listen to your employees - especially the ones who have been with the company a long time.

Hire from within.

Remove silos and increase communication between departments.

Figure out what your cash cow is and focus on that. Stop shipping broken or incomplete products that you will "patch" later - because the patches never happen. Stop moving to the new shiny thing and fix what you already have.

Barely Surviving

Current Employee - Marketing in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ping Pond Table, Free Beer & Sodas, Great Location (near the coast). Tons of company BBQ's.

Cons

The Marketing department was filled with negative energy, low moral and tension coming from a very temperamental and emotional Director which affected the whole team. There's no room to make a difference. No room for growth. No pay raises. No room to follow basic 101 Marketing practices. Decisions were made based on emotions rather than a thought out plan or solid strategy. At the end of the day the team will get the blame for not succeeding. You must be able to play the political game to be "safe" and/or to be heard.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be held accountable for their bad business decisions, for their bad leadership skills/lack of, for their money lost mistakes. Buzztime is risking/loosing a lot of taleted people by continuing to keeping bad leaders on board.

This ship is sinking

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Worked with a few great, smart and passionate people. Work/life balance is good and they host company BBQs.

Cons

They are too far behind competitors on developing products that the markets wants/needs and by the time they have them, it will be too late. They are focusing on single games rather than a business solution for bars and restaurants and will soon be irrelevant. They have one big cash cow, that's it. The answer to all problems seems to be letting people go, but instead of letting the people in charge of this mess go - they get rid of passionate employees who actually cared about the company and its success...not just a pay-check.

Advice to Management

Be accountable and take responsibility for your own mistakes.

Nice to Work for.

Former Employee - Accounting Department in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Department in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

easy going and casual atmosphere

Cons

Some managers went out of their way to play favorites and make sure that when a person asked for the chance for advancement it was refused.

Advice to Management

When an employee asks for a chance to advance at least give them the opportunity to do so.

NTN Buzztime Photos