NTN Buzztime

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
2.9

Jeff Berg

I've been working at Buzztime for over 7 years. Great people, outstanding company culture.

I have been working at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Employees are treated very well. There is room for growth - many employees have carved out their own careers and moved up the company ladder. Benefits are great, plenty of paid holidays and fun game-testing happy hours on Fridays.

Cons

There has been lots of churn at the very top of the company over the years (Board Members, CEO's, Sr. Management) which has caused too much change in direction and wasted product. They are in the process of righting the ship and on the verge of release a new line of great products.

Hang in there, one of these days a CEO will stick and we'll all move in a single direction :)

Nice to Work for.

Former Employee - Accounting Department in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Department in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

easy going and casual atmosphere

Cons

Some managers went out of their way to play favorites and make sure that when a person asked for the chance for advancement it was refused.

When an employee asks for a chance to advance at least give them the opportunity to do so.

This ship is sinking

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Worked with a few great, smart and passionate people. Work/life balance is good and they host company BBQs.

Cons

They are too far behind competitors on developing products that the markets wants/needs and by the time they have them, it will be too late. They are focusing on single games rather than a business solution for bars and restaurants and will soon be irrelevant. They have one big cash cow, that's it. The answer to all problems seems to be letting people go, but instead of letting the people in charge of this mess go - they get rid of passionate employees who actually cared about the company and its success...not just a pay-check.

Be accountable and take responsibility for your own mistakes.

Loved my team, liked the company, disliked my manager

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My team was fantastic and without them I would never have made it for as long as I did. I met friends for life and for that I am forever grateful. They are a group of really smart and talented individuals, too bad upper management never sees it so people leave the first chance they get – some without even having another job lined up. That really tells me a lot about a company.

Cons

In theory, Buzztime seems like a fun place to work – and I can’t speak for any other departments than the one I was in – but that was not the case. My manager created a culture of fear and resentment by publicly berating me and other members of the team, tasking us with unrealistic demands without proper direction, constantly creating a “hurry-up and wait” mentality, never giving us the opportunity to do things right. According to Albert Einstein, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, which is how everything was done around there.

It was definitely a “boy’s club” and I found that male co-workers got treated with a lot more respect than myself and other female colleagues. Feedback was not appreciated unless it was in line with my manager’s direction – which created a culture of people not saying anything instead. Several times I would doubt my own ability and everything that I knew because my manager would talk to people in a patronizing way that would make anyone feel useless. Not to mention the yelling, the constant negative energy and telling the team what to do but never practicing what was preached.

The work environment in my department was toxic and did not facilitate strong performance or motivation to succeed.

Listen to your employees, all of them, not just middle management. It baffles me that HR has done nothing about the high turnover rate and that executives are more focused on product than people.

Mismanaged company

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

The product definitely has a consumer base that works well with them. This would be the small sports bar that is looking to gain customers and keep them.

Cons

Too much turnover in upper management which lead to high turnover in staff, customers leaving, and not a clear direction for the future.

Find a CEO and stick with them for 5 years.

Lots of potential, too much management turnover...

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, good people, great location close to the coast in Carlsbad.

Cons

6 CEOs in 8 years, big shifts in direction, hardware business is tough to capitalize for such a small company.

Nice environmant

I have been working at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Free coffee and tea and soda

Cons

Non stimulating and needs more unity

More flex time

Flip flopping management that knows better than the market does

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is ok and there are some very talented people working there. On the surface it seems good.

Cons

Management that changes it's mind on direction almost weekly. No shared goals. HR department is a joke and run by self serving consultant. Product team is just an extension of its biggest customers requirements (buffalo wild wings) while other customers wait for sloppy seconds. Senior management doesn't stay very long.

Cut your losses and move on to the next thing. This ship has sailed and you have missed it.

Overall, not bad

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Some very smart and fun people on the mid-level that are willing to teach. Most bosses are flexible about appointments and schedules.

Cons

Upper management changes their minds a lot. People are randomly let go so that the company can "move forward."

Optimistic about the future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and welcoming employees at all levels of the company. There have been a number of positive changes in the past 6 months, and you can feel the excitement about the future of Buzztime.

Cons

I think there is still some work to be done to get everyone on the same page. It still feels like there are people going in opposite directions, however, I think it's getting better every day.

Continue to improve relations with your employees. Without them, you have no company. They can and will be your biggest advocate if they are allowed to be a part of the success.