NTN Buzztime Reviews

Ram Krishnan

1. Featured Review

Feels like a comeback

I have been working at NTN Buzztime

Pros

The company is filled with talented, friendly and passionate individuals who have been patiently awaiting leadership to remove obstacles. Early sentiments on new leadership are promising. The atmosphere is positive in spite of the struggles over the years internally and externally. From a product perspective, the company could be really close to creating a unique position in the market which could provide results not seen in years.

Cons

The company has struggled and was stagnant for years. There are a lot of high priorities, loose ends and obstacles to remove which demands patience and commitment from its team members.

Advice to Management

Make sure direction is followed up with execution. Communicate updates as quickly as possible throughout the organization, but don’t assume everyone is communicating in the same manner.

Jun 11, 2015

Thank you for your feedback and review. We view our team members as our number one priority and I’m so glad you found we’re making a difference. Thanks again, we truly value your feedback.

2. Moving in the Right Direction

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have a great C-team who have made a culture shift to bring a culture of accountability and execution. They have rolled out core values and are practicing what they preach. There is so much potential in this organization! Very happy to see the silos continue to be broken down and see progress.
    The people are great and the culture is fun and team oriented.

Cons

Change is hard to roll out here with a lot of negative history. In order to make an impact it requires patience and commitment. It is worth it. All in all I see a lot of opportunity and that outweighs the challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep making changes for the better and staying the current course. Continue to listen to the team and lead by example.

Jun 19, 2015NTN Buzztime

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on Glassdoor. We are working hard on building values throughout the organization, starting with Trust and Team. I’m glad you’re enjoying ... More

3. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

I worked at NTN Buzztime (More than a year)

Pros

casual work environment. Always changing & evolving. Flexible hours (for some). Generally some very nice people & working towards corporate improvement.

Cons

high churn in staff - lay offs seem to be the only constant. no communication between departments. Total lack of direction. New hires come in with no idea about the company's past, mission, or product but seem to know what is best.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be something you're not. Continue to improve your technology but don't forget they type of customer you serve.

Jun 16, 2015NTN Buzztime

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel. We are disappointed that your experience has fallen short of your expectation. It takes time to build a strong foundation and your ... More

5. Sales Account Excecutive

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at NTN Buzztime (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment and plenty of new product training.

Cons

My job description focus was changed several times during my 2 years there so i felt like I was starting all over again each time.

Advice to Management

Set a clear path to success and stay the course for longer that 6 months.

Jun 19, 2015NTN Buzztime

Thank you for your feedback and review. I realize that your experience at Buzztime has fallen short of your expectations. Please know that we are working hard on building values throughout the ... More

Fresh, Forward-Thinking, Innovative Company that is well on the way to greatness

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time

Pros

New, strong, transparent senior leadership that is remarkably reshaping the company from the top down. Values, including honesty and teamwork, and work/life balance run rampant through the organization and it is refreshing to see that everyone in a leadership role is on the same page. Fresh ideas are cultivated and rolled-out and feedback is not only welcomed but encouraged. Great location and awesome ping pong competition are great perks!

Cons

More cross-team building could be helpful to further encourage values so all facets of the organization could get to know others better that they may not work with on a daily or even weekly basis.

Advice to Management

Remember that roll-outs and change can cause a bit of distention within departments as they take on new roles and responsibilities.

Great company so far!

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teamwork appears to happen across organizations, at least from my perspective. I have had the pleasure to work across the different departments and have yet to hit any road blocks in getting other employees to assist.

Cons

In my short time here, there has been a lot of upper level management turnover which can cause concern for employees that are new or don't have much interaction with senior management.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with the entire company on the changes and the direction we are going.

8. Hope

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a new energy within the company. The CEO is challenging employees while providing a direction. The product team is beginning to work well together to take Buzztime to the next level. There have been some great new people added to the team and prospects are good.

Cons

There are some people who have no business in the positions they are in, but there is hope that this will turn around.

Advice to Management

Find a way to trust those with proven experience. There is a lot of experience within the team and they have a lot to offer. Provide them with a clear attainable goal and give them the tools they need to achieve that goal. You will be impressed with the outcome.

The next few months will tell the tale

I have been working at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Casual work environment. The workers are great people

Cons

Upper management does not give much direction. Very few opportunities to rise in the ranks. Usually they hire from outside or promote contractors.

Advice to Management

Listen to the long term employees here. Many have ideas and input that are valuable. Just because a person has been hired in and is new does not mean they know whats best for the company or that their ideas are great.

a classic turnaround opportunity

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

leadership is committed to getting this company modernized.

Cons

legacy systems, old models for doing business (crm, billing, hr, customer service) are all a patchwork of older systems. the good news is a committed dev staff have built in reliability; the challenge is committing to newer models of doing business that embrace current technologies.

Advice to Management

take a tactical pause to fix legacy systems.

Too much turnover at the top.

Former Employee - Marketing in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location - Carlsbad, CA!

Great people (most of them) - Made some amazing friends along the way and I would not trade that for the world.

Fun perks (ping pong, beer, BBQs) - They are trying to make a nice atmosphere for employees.

Cons

TONS of turnover - I was there for 6 years and had 4 CEOs and 16 bosses (literally).

Too many silos - Every department is doing their own thing, and they don't work together properly.

Poor communication - You have to seek information from people, it is not freely given when it should be.

Not enough staff - As management gets rid of old employees the tasks are piled onto existing employees and new people are not hired. I absorbed jobs from 4 other people during the 6 years and was rarely able to pass those tasks on to others. I was always under water and never had time to focus on what mattered. I was just bailing water out of the boat.

They do not promote from within - I worked extremely hard and was only promoted once about a year after I was first hired. New management keeps being hired from the outside and work horses remain work horses. Every time I applied for a position above me I was told that the board wanted to hire from outside the company. This does horrible things for moral. Every time I got a new boss I actually felt I was moving backwards in my career.

Moral is low - employees don't feel appreciated, or like their work matters.

Company is trying to be too many things - They need to focus on one thing and being really great at that one thing. Instead they keep trying to come out with new things and nothing is done well.

They don't listen to the people who have been at the company for a long time. They always want advice from someone new. So they spend a bunch of money on a consultant to hear something that an employee said years prior. This happened several times over the last few years.

Advice to Management

Have a regular review process and reward your good employees with wage increases and promotions. I did not have a wage increase for 4 years and I worked an insane amount.

Really listen to your employees - especially the ones who have been with the company a long time.

Hire from within.

Remove silos and increase communication between departments.

Figure out what your cash cow is and focus on that. Stop shipping broken or incomplete products that you will "patch" later - because the patches never happen. Stop moving to the new shiny thing and fix what you already have.

RSS Feed </> Embed