NTN Buzztime

2.6

Ram Krishnan

a classic turnaround opportunity

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

leadership is committed to getting this company modernized.

Cons

legacy systems, old models for doing business (crm, billing, hr, customer service) are all a patchwork of older systems. the good news is a committed dev staff have built in reliability; the challenge is committing to newer models of doing business that embrace current technologies.

take a tactical pause to fix legacy systems.

Too much turnover at the top.

Former Employee - Marketing in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great location - Carlsbad, CA!

Great people (most of them) - Made some amazing friends along the way and I would not trade that for the world.

Fun perks (ping pong, beer, BBQs) - They are trying to make a nice atmosphere for employees.

Cons

TONS of turnover - I was there for 6 years and had 4 CEOs and 16 bosses (literally).

Too many silos - Every department is doing their own thing, and they don't work together properly.

Poor communication - You have to seek information from people, it is not freely given when it should be.

Not enough staff - As management gets rid of old employees the tasks are piled onto existing employees and new people are not hired. I absorbed jobs from 4 other people during the 6 years and was rarely able to pass those tasks on to others. I was always under water and never had time to focus on what mattered. I was just bailing water out of the boat.

They do not promote from within - I worked extremely hard and was only promoted once about a year after I was first hired. New management keeps being hired from the outside and work horses remain work horses. Every time I applied for a position above me I was told that the board wanted to hire from outside the company. This does horrible things for moral. Every time I got a new boss I actually felt I was moving backwards in my career.

Moral is low - employees don't feel appreciated, or like their work matters.

Company is trying to be too many things - They need to focus on one thing and being really great at that one thing. Instead they keep trying to come out with new things and nothing is done well.

They don't listen to the people who have been at the company for a long time. They always want advice from someone new. So they spend a bunch of money on a consultant to hear something that an employee said years prior. This happened several times over the last few years.

Have a regular review process and reward your good employees with wage increases and promotions. I did not have a wage increase for 4 years and I worked an insane amount.

Really listen to your employees - especially the ones who have been with the company a long time.

Hire from within.

Remove silos and increase communication between departments.

Figure out what your cash cow is and focus on that. Stop shipping broken or incomplete products that you will "patch" later - because the patches never happen. Stop moving to the new shiny thing and fix what you already have.

Barely Surviving

Current Employee - Marketing in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ping Pond Table, Free Beer & Sodas, Great Location (near the coast). Tons of company BBQ's.

Cons

The Marketing department was filled with negative energy, low moral and tension coming from a very temperamental and emotional Director which affected the whole team. There's no room to make a difference. No room for growth. No pay raises. No room to follow basic 101 Marketing practices. Decisions were made based on emotions rather than a thought out plan or solid strategy. At the end of the day the team will get the blame for not succeeding. You must be able to play the political game to be "safe" and/or to be heard.

Upper management needs to be held accountable for their bad business decisions, for their bad leadership skills/lack of, for their money lost mistakes. Buzztime is risking/loosing a lot of taleted people by continuing to keeping bad leaders on board.

I've been working at Buzztime for over 7 years. Great people, outstanding company culture.

I have been working at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Employees are treated very well. There is room for growth - many employees have carved out their own careers and moved up the company ladder. Benefits are great, plenty of paid holidays and fun game-testing happy hours on Fridays.

Cons

There has been lots of churn at the very top of the company over the years (Board Members, CEO's, Sr. Management) which has caused too much change in direction and wasted product. They are in the process of righting the ship and on the verge of release a new line of great products.

Hang in there, one of these days a CEO will stick and we'll all move in a single direction :)

Nice to Work for.

Former Employee - Accounting Department in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Department in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

easy going and casual atmosphere

Cons

Some managers went out of their way to play favorites and make sure that when a person asked for the chance for advancement it was refused.

When an employee asks for a chance to advance at least give them the opportunity to do so.

This ship is sinking

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Worked with a few great, smart and passionate people. Work/life balance is good and they host company BBQs.

Cons

They are too far behind competitors on developing products that the markets wants/needs and by the time they have them, it will be too late. They are focusing on single games rather than a business solution for bars and restaurants and will soon be irrelevant. They have one big cash cow, that's it. The answer to all problems seems to be letting people go, but instead of letting the people in charge of this mess go - they get rid of passionate employees who actually cared about the company and its success...not just a pay-check.

Be accountable and take responsibility for your own mistakes.

Loved my team, liked the company, disliked my manager

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My team was fantastic and without them I would never have made it for as long as I did. I met friends for life and for that I am forever grateful. They are a group of really smart and talented individuals, too bad upper management never sees it so people leave the first chance they get – some without even having another job lined up. That really tells me a lot about a company.

Cons

In theory, Buzztime seems like a fun place to work – and I can’t speak for any other departments than the one I was in – but that was not the case. My manager created a culture of fear and resentment by publicly berating me and other members of the team, tasking us with unrealistic demands without proper direction, constantly creating a “hurry-up and wait” mentality, never giving us the opportunity to do things right. According to Albert Einstein, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, which is how everything was done around there.

It was definitely a “boy’s club” and I found that male co-workers got treated with a lot more respect than myself and other female colleagues. Feedback was not appreciated unless it was in line with my manager’s direction – which created a culture of people not saying anything instead. Several times I would doubt my own ability and everything that I knew because my manager would talk to people in a patronizing way that would make anyone feel useless. Not to mention the yelling, the constant negative energy and telling the team what to do but never practicing what was preached.

The work environment in my department was toxic and did not facilitate strong performance or motivation to succeed.

Listen to your employees, all of them, not just middle management. It baffles me that HR has done nothing about the high turnover rate and that executives are more focused on product than people.

Mismanaged company

I worked at NTN Buzztime

Pros

The product definitely has a consumer base that works well with them. This would be the small sports bar that is looking to gain customers and keep them.

Cons

Too much turnover in upper management which lead to high turnover in staff, customers leaving, and not a clear direction for the future.

Find a CEO and stick with them for 5 years.

Lots of potential, too much management turnover...

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, good people, great location close to the coast in Carlsbad.

Cons

6 CEOs in 8 years, big shifts in direction, hardware business is tough to capitalize for such a small company.

Nice environmant

I have been working at NTN Buzztime

Pros

Free coffee and tea and soda

Cons

Non stimulating and needs more unity

More flex time