NTT Centerstance

Make mine a 4.5!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at NTT Centerstance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- NTT acquisition has not cause the type of culture change you would expect when the 29th largest company in the world headquartered in Japan purchases ; largest change has been result of hiring resources from large consulting firms that operate "differently"; majority of those employees have since left, which has been a positive change
    - New Employee Boot camp is effective way to share culture and methodology and is a major investment that the company makes in new employees; Executives attend these bootcamps as a priority
    - Willingness of executives to recognize/receive feedback on organizational structure changes required to adapt to changes in the Salesforce landscape (focus on verticals) and changes required to expand our skill set and modify processes to satisfy and evolving customer base (SMB to Fortune 1000)
    - Flexible work schedule dependent on project team/Client expectations; work/life balancean supported as ong as employee is willing to push back
    - Fair holiday/vacation benefits
    - Clear career ladders have been defined and professional growth path is well laid out-
    - Interesting projects that include: custom development, system integration, mobile, custom interface design
    - Many experienced, highly-skilled employees that I learn from daily

Cons

- Like with any company, Centerstance will consume as much time as a consultant is willing to give - especially if you are a highly-desired project resource; must self-advocate for work/life balance
    - Transition to larger clients has caused some consultant discomfort, so they have left the company and our hiring strategy is JIT to fulfill project assignments, which causes major stress for Sales and Delivery teams

- Continue to be transparent with middle management team
    - Continue to share yearly goals and initiatives aligned to those goals; transparency to all employees
    - Once career ladder alignment is complete, remain objective in promotion, salary modifications, etc.
    - Consider carrying a healthy bench for highly desired resources (PMs and Developers)

Sr. Consultant

I have been working at NTT Centerstance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work life balance
    great people and mangement team

Cons

small company experiencing grown in some markets and other markets they are still struggling to establish a foot print

Moving in a Positive Direction!! Centerstance is BACK!

I have been working at NTT Centerstance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Primarily remote culture ideal for self-motived individuals that do not want to be micro managed.
    -Collaborative, smart and pleasant teams.
    -Exec's LISTEN!!! There were some serious growing pains in the organization over the last few months and execs have not only owned it, they have aggressively taking steps to resolve them. Starting with some market adjustments in Salaries and continuing by fixing issues with benefit cost, adjusting exp caps and rolling out some very detailed career-paths. I believe there are more changes in the works but these are just the few they have accomplished to address employee concerns.

Cons

- Remote culture is not the best fit for everyone so it can be slow to make connections with others until you are on a project team.
     - Admittedly there as a slow response to issues originally. However, employee retention and culture seem to again be a high priority that I hope we maintain.
     - Agree to other poster that the bonus structure could use improvement. Its nice when you get it but does not drive my behavior.

We see you, we hear you and we talk amongst ourselves. Your words matter and sway us. Your excitement, enthusiasm and drive motivates us. Recent changes have been great and much needed, the communication more open and clear. Keep it coming!

The company IS BACK after RIF! BUT only moving forward the best way it can.

Current Employee - Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at NTT Centerstance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of good employees that have skill and relevant experience. Many well meaning people. Some truly talented stars. Many are still open to input and realize innovation is needed. This company grew from nothing to a platinum partner and has held its own to some degree. No one would ever say that the path from there to here was easy.

Great opportunities and possibilities still exist for anything to happen. Greatness is possible with a few major adjustments and a lot of hard work

Cons

Overall, this is a good company with many positive aspects. I would not say that this isn't a good company. This could be a great company for anyone joining. I would define the company as a good company that is struggling to find a strategy.

The secondary problem is a lack of a talented and experienced middle layer. This middle layer needs to carry out a well defined strategy. Cultural issues and executive leadership compound these two problems. This overall situation forecasts an uncertain growth pattern, even 3 years out from the acquisition by NTT.

Some commented that this is a competitive environment. It is a competitive environment, but not as you would expect. One result of the competitive culture are clique's. These clique's are centered around staffing and operational leadership.

Those in multiple clique's (in consulting) will often align agendas and cause rifts/bad reputations for others. This is not unique to just this company. At this company the cultural issues amplify this consulting reality. A previous contributor mentioned staffing (operations) felt insular. It is possible those making project staffing and HR decisions are affected and become confused by favored employees. These favored employees, on the face of it, seem to be giving honest and innocent advice. The staffing or HR component of a consulting company is very tricky and not an easy job.

Some favored and competitive employees quickly form opinions on others. Sometimes these favored employees also shove others aside with sharp elbows (indirectly). This rumor mill and the clique's feeding staffing cause a culture of fear and/or hidden agendas. The lack of a cutting edge PMO with deep IT delivery experience magnifies the issue.

This cultural fear is amplified as many employees and leaders take indirect actions to achieve goals. One former employee told me 2 years ago; "you are considered doing well and possibly even a star, right up to the moment you are shown the door".

I agree with other comments that the culture needs fine tuning. In most companies, culture is set from the top. Here the executives themselves are not always on the same page in terms of culture, strategy, or operational tactics. This lack of common vision, Fortune 500 experience, operational creativity, & alignment is problematic. This situation is often talked about by the employees.

Many in leadership are focused on putting out fires or are in near-term reactive mode. This is possibly because of lack of experience, burn-out, lack of alignment between executives, and/or the executive wallet fattening after company purchase by NTT.

2/3's of the exec leadership team have never worked internally for a large company. One Sales Executive made the comment that he felt the executives were learning and adjusting as they went. One result is a shifting strategy.

Initially a big expansion was planned after acquisition from NTT. This expansion was not executed well, coordinated, or partnered well with Salesforce.com. I heard one Sales executive comment that the expansion felt like a shot in the dark.

Salesforce.com is the largest source of leads and primary partner. Even smaller gold partners have much tighter partnering with Salesforce.com from top to bottom. This partnering and or industry alignment has caused more rapid growth for others (while Centerstance contracted).

When revenue didn't arrive from the expansion effort, a number of employees were terminated. This RIF especially impacted those employees associated with new failed Geo. Some consulting firms within this space have grown and expanded past Centerstance during this flop. This competitive acceleration is possible due to more effective partnering with SFDC. Competitors have also also been more nimble in other areas.

So why are a few other competitors more nimble or have a tighter strategy? I am not sure. It is possible this rapid competitive growth can be chalked up to greater experience at the executive and operational levels both. Some of it might be luck. Luck plays a role more often than not. A badly constructed company will at some point run out of luck though.

The more successful competitors seem have a very solid middle layer. The middle layer management at competitors affect innovation, quality, and forward progress. This much needed middle layer also aligns well with executive strategy. An example of some of those roles are practice leads, COE leaders, industry leaders, PMO, R&D, and so on.

Funding a significant expansion for a consulting company requires massive organic $'s growth or investment. If investment is used then a killer strategy needs to be deployed by many skilled people. Neither path was utilized to build a cutting edge consulting company and to fund a middle layer. This middle layer is needed for long-term growth and stability. Instead contraction occurred.

The series of events in the last year or two have given some of the employees a lack of confidence. To make matters worse, a failing strategy for growth and an initial RIF happened. This RIF was followed by a later RIF. Subsequent small RIF's are done quietly and are disguised. These unofficial RIF's are targeted on new or junior folks. Also up on the chopping block are those employees whom are not in the best favor with the clique's of the moment.

Many good employees that have deep skills and relevant experience are still at Centerstance. Some stars have left. Less and less very experienced consultants exist. Any consultancy needs a deep enough roster of stars to build a delivery practice around. This maturity and talent is needed to hold up the quality and withstand challenges for large projects (company is aiming for larger projects).

Find a strategy for delivery and find a strategy for sales. Find solutions for culture. Gain and retain stars at every level of the company. A strategy also needs careful execution by stars at different levels. Some of these levels are lacking within the company. This is true for both sales, executive leadership, and delivery. Look without and be open to learning from the competition. Don't be afraid to steal knowledge. Realize internal lack of talent at different levels.

Consider a merger with a larger cutting edge consultancy? Then let this dominant culture and more successful culture run with it. Others are gobbling up huge corners of the market as we speak. The growth and employee sentiment at other companies is truly impressive (Appirio, Cloud Sherpas, Perficient, TCS, Silverline, other gold partners).

Was a great company, especially if you are one of the "favored" employees

Current Employee - Principal Consultant
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at NTT Centerstance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good work/home life balance
    -Work from home
    -Most of upper management is very approachable and interested in hearing your opinions and ideas
    -if you are self-starter who enjoys learning new technologies in your spare time you should do fine

Cons

-Since the NTT purchase the emphasis has been on larger contracts but the delivery teams lack the tools or expertise to do a good job on these types of projects
    -Assignments are handed out in a cherry-picking manor that ensure the same employees get the good projects over and over while other newbies sit on the bench or do support
    -Company organization is pretty haphazard, no real information on promotion opportunities or even job titles. (They have been making an effort in this area recently.)
    -Paid holidays are less than most any other firm I have worked for, PTO is ok
    -Salaries have been low but they have also been making an effort to bring these up to match the market, (hope we haven't lost too many senior consultants already!)

Get back to our roots; the medium size projects that made us the platinum partner of SFDC.
    Keep the Portland office strong and in control, other regional offices seem to have been the cause of most of the recent issues.

Good company if you already have a network of resources to draw from.

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NTT Centerstance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits ware average. Good access to online training and certification materials. Travel reimbursement is good and timely.

Cons

Small company with a Big 4 mentality. Very competitive attitudes when working with others. Everyone is trying to make parter instead of making a team that works.

NTT Centerstance Response

Sep 9, 2014Director of Operations

It is disappointing that you feel that way. We have surveyed our competition and have increased the company contribution towards our benefits, in order to be more aligned with our competition ... More

Great place to work for self motivated problem solvers

I have been working at NTT Centerstance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NTT Centerstance is unique in that we are enabled to be successful. No one is micromanaging you and you are able to solve business problems on your own. The entire company is available for support if you need it. We work with really smart people and they all like to help out the team. Management is interested in hearing what our goals are and in helping us to achieve them. Work life balance is a constant theme, which is why many of us left Big 4 consulting to join Centerstance.

Cons

It can be hard to feel connected when you are working remotely from your home, but it just takes a little extra effort to reach out to others in the company. Some of the small company feel has changed as we have grown.

It would be great if we had a consistent strategy across all parts of the organization that was shared with the team. We all love working for the company, and want to share in its success and its challenges, so a bit more transparency would be welcomed.

If you want a good place to work, NTT Centerstance is NOT it.

I have been working at NTT Centerstance full-time

Pros

remote work, most consultants are intelligent and good to work with.

Cons

HR is the worst offender in discriminating language and discussing employee performance and compensation freely to others in the organization, No processes are in place, Very reactive in every part of the business, executives and directors treat consultants like they are dispensable, low pay compared to other comparable positions at competitors, health benefits are horrendous since the company does not contribute much to the plan and blame the expensive rates on Obama Care, and reviews and merit increases are based on subjective reviews without objective measures outlining the goal achievements.

NTT Centerstance Response

Apr 28, 2014Director of Operations

This is a very disappointing post, as much of the information could not be further from the truth. We are a very diverse workforce and provide a unique opportunity for those who enjoy consulting ... More

A serious disappointment.. beware!

I have been working at NTT Centerstance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work remotely. Ability to work with multiple clients.

Cons

Centerstance once prided itself on its employees, that is until the buyout from NTT (Or rather "the sellout"). Scrambling internally to come off as cohesive to the client, but failing rapidly unable to keep it together. Most projects are either escalated, over budget, and under managed. Salesforce.com client satisfaction scores are manipulated behind the scenes, SA's provide 'shot in the dark' project estimates and are highly under qualified, internal processes are constantly in flux, roles are unclear, wages are horrible, commissions are based on one executive's "sense of how involved you were' and very arbitrary. The NTT acquisition was great for Centerstance, allowing the Partners to get the payday & retirement they are seeking. It may not be too long for NTT to sell it off given revenue projections it is highly underperforming.

Just retire already and tell your employees like it is, NTT Japan has taken over the ship. "Centerstance" is no longer. The picture has changed dramatically and just because NTT has invested doesn't guarantee security in the SFDC ecosystem, especially with the dwindling reputation.

Awesome job in a rapidly growing collaborative environment. Just mind the Growing Pains”

I have been working at NTT Centerstance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great teammates with with engaging projects. Very collaborative (albeit remote) environment supported via IM and Chatter so you are never far from peer support. Rapidly growing company with more career opportunities opening becoming available for energetic and motivated self-starters.

Cons

Remote culture is not the best fit for all. Experiencing some growing pains but a bit to be expected.

Keep that open communication with us, we enjoy hearing from you.

NTT Centerstance Photos