NV Energy
www.nvenergy.com Las Vegas, NV 1000 to 5000 Employees

NV Energy Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Michael W. Yackira

One of the best places to work at. Coworkers treat you great, you get respect and learn a lot about the corporation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsGreat salary or hourly pay, good benefits, opportunities within the company are also great.

ConsSometimes people get carried away with distractions and end up wasting time. Nobody really says anything because it is not a micromanaged environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet more realistic deadlines and help their employees grow by giving them opportunities to work on new projects.

Conservative

ProsThere is a fitness room onsite

Consnot many career growth opportunities

Too much company politics. They select who they want in management. Even if you are qualified they still pick others.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe outside looks good. But in office horrible people.

ConsGood on training. Information not shared across the board. reps are last to know. Customer knows first information.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould clean house in human resources. Gossips and not appropriate with personnel.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very helpful to interns.

Student Intern II (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsGreat people. Helpful upper management. Not as much politics as other companies.

ConsHaven't worked there long enough to say.

Good place to work

Student Intern II (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsExcellent pay for the interns. Everyone around is very nice and helpful. Depending on your department, you have the opportunity to learn a lot.

ConsThere are no cons. This is really a great company to work for if you are looking for a stable job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Used to be a great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsPay and benefits are still good, compared to other employers in the area.

ConsI worked for Sierra Pacific Power Company for more than 20 years and was let go after the merger with Nevada Power, even though I was an excellent, loyal employee with outstanding performance reviews. From what I hear from current employees of "NV Energy" in Reno things have only gotten worse. Morale is low, everyone fears for their job and everything is controlled by Las Vegas. Reno is like a district office.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm disgusted at the golden parachutes received by Walt Higgins and other execs. Treat your employees with respect and dignity. Value loyalty and years of dedicated service. And get rid of the Vegas mentality.

Good ol' boy company and mentality.

Meter Reader (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsNot much. Benefits and pay were decent but at a cost. Advancement is possible if you're a man.

ConsPotential to move up into apprenticeships only if you know someone. Good luck if you're female. The department I worked in is close to bare bones, and hired temps rather than paying us more to work endless overtime. Mandatory Saturdays were the norm. The company is hated by anyone and everyone in the community. Since we were the first in the line of service, we got most of the complaints. The company is a monopoly and they know consumers have no choice so customer service practices are nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe all know you're miserable too and are at risk of losing your jobs as well. No need to take your frustrations out on us. I hope Uncle Warren Buffet can change this company around for you.

great place to work

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

Prosfriendly colleagues, good work environment

Conslow pay, some problems with getting off work for appointments

Advice to Senior Managementpay your workers what they are worth

Hope You Know Someone

Las Vegas, NV

ProsPay and benefits are pretty good. Theoretically, you can start at the bottom and work your way up. The company itself is very secure.

ConsThe company is currently involved in stripping its work force down to the bare bones, While this is good for the company's bottom line, you find the people remaining are those that have been there for decades and are on cruise control now.
    While you technically can start with an entry level job and work your way up, you absolutely must know someone in that department or you don't stand a chance, even with quite a bit of experience. Job titles and descriptions don't match what the job actually entails, but you won't find that out until the interview is over. They are also slowly weeding out anyone without a degree, even current staff that have a proven record of great work.
    All in all, the company tends to treat its staff as equipment. If you're willing to fly under the radar, never be promoted and be let go on a whim, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you had any clue just how valuable your staff was, you could be an amazing company. Drop the interview tactics where you get points for using certain words and being best buds with someone in the department. Since you have to train them anyway, try pulling hardworking and intelligent employees out of lower jobs and rewarding them with better jobs and more responsibility. Quit micromanaging and trying to track their every move. Allow them to actually think and improve the company, then reward them for that.

uninspiring

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsMonopolizes the market in Nevada, and as the sole provider for power, guaranteed business will need to be in play and closure is almost impossible.

ConsThe possible promotion and career advancement in the company is very limited. Opportunities are also more open based on who you know on the upper management. High level management seems to be hypocrites in regards to the ethical standards they are suppose to promote.

Advice to Senior Managementinspire and show loyalty to your employees

Worked for NV Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NV Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NV Energy CEO Michael W. Yackira . All 24 reviews posted anonymously by NV Energy employees.