NVIDIA

Updated December 19, 2014
3.8

NVIDIA Co-Founder, President, and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang
Jen-Hsun Huang

Pros
  • There is lot of stuff to learn and you get to work on next generation cutting edge technology (in 65 reviews)

• The team I worked for had extremely smart people (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Workloads can be too much for one person which leads to less of a work/life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Overworked; no work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Very engineering focused

Former Employee - Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager

I worked at NVIDIA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Focus on technologies and engineering, no too much politics like other similar companies. Great, charming ceo

Also have very professional infrastructure support

Cons

Might be too busy for some one

Positive, learned a lot, met technical people

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at NVIDIA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

nice people to work with, had weekly or bi-weekly talk by technical guys who give us general info about the current trend, new ideas, etc. I felt like my mentor really wanted me to learn something and not just get the work done. The work was not hard to get stuck and was not easy to make it bored. It was challenging enough.

Cons

Sometimes you need to get info from people and it is hard to get it since people are busy. documentation can help. Some stuff done by former guys had no documentations.

I am not qualified to give advice to management because of lack of experience. But I would say they should let their employees to take time to work on documentations. Perhaps deadlines and work pressure make that difficult, but that seems important to me.

Nice place to work as intern

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at NVIDIA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people
    Nice pay
    Lots of activities, including a tour to CEO's home.

Cons

The office is poorly decorated

Senior Hardware engineer

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, start of the art tech

Cons

workload and unrealistic schedules which eventually gets delayed.

a more competitive compensation package.

Software Engineering Intern

I worked at NVIDIA

Pros

They overwork you so much, you end up learning a lot of stuff.

Cons

Strict hierarchy, bureaucracy, and overworking.

Company in transition

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have bled green - worked for NVIDIA longer than anywhere and I've been around a long time. I've seen it grow from tiny to huge. The growth was phenomenal until 2008 or so.
    There are some great and very smart people here.
    Products are good quality.
    Mistakes are used to learn from.
    There is a very distinct culture here. Work hard and well, work hard. Relatively flat organization.
    Politics exist but I always felt like I could pretty much talk to anyone in the organization at any time to get things done.

Cons

Business-wise - CEO bet the farm and lost (too late) on a lot of recent products. Trying to pick up the pieces now. Problem is, because of the previous success in PC-business, they think they can replicate that success but revenue has been stagnant (+/- within $4B/year) for the last 5 years or so. Gross margins are high - probably because they are so cheap on spending.
    I have had the pleasure of having fantastic bosses for the first phase of my career there and absolutely awful bosses more recently (unfortunately, they think they are good).
    Culture in my group involves yelling occasionally. This was precipitated in the early days by the CEO and seems to be the norm and accepted. On the one hand, when its yelling at the situation I can take it. When its yelling at me for no good reason other than lack of tact, its time to consider my options elsewhere.
    I used to work hard and feel good about it as the stock was going up and it made sense. I could see my impact to the company. I used to pride myself as not being a cog in the machine like at some other companies where you are a nameless engineer just doing your job. I really felt like I made a difference. Unfortunately, this is no longer true for me and I think for a lot of others. People used to stay long and work hard and feel good about it. Now I think there is resentment (for those that work long) and others just pretty much work and go home.

I'd really like to see NVIDIA succeed. I don't think it will fail but I also don't see replication of success from the good old days. It used to be that we'd cut our losses and move on even when 50% through a project. I respect that - it shows balls. But when they continue to bet the farm on technology that is better but more costlier than the competition, well, the revenue isn't there to grow top to bottom like it was in the PC days. Stock price has been stagnant - doesn't that tell you that the market doesn't see growth either?

My guess is - no one has invented the "next big thing" that will keep this company afloat or take it to $10B a year like Jensen predicted (how many years ago?).

A stagnant place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are approachable to get the job done
    Relatively flat organization
    Flexible work environment

Cons

Poor work/life balance mainly because they are universally understaffed. Compensation is not commensurate to the amount of work put in. This has resulted in serious attrition issues across the board.
    Poor benefits and no recreational / team building activities
    Sub-standard working environment that reflects the cheapness, not frugality.
    Decisions are made and changed on the fly. Little organizational learning.
    For all it's bombastic claims, the company is more or less in a rut, as evidenced by it's stagnant revenues and stock price.

Focus on quality execution and not just pull out deadlines from the pocket. Create work environment that motivates people. Have team building activities

Unparalleled opportunity to grow in a flexible work environment

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Other engineers are highly qualified. Management is sane. Work makes sense. Fast paced. NVIDIA measures itself against and competes with the best. Competes in many areas giving a lot to learn about. Honest communication from management (improved in the last year or so). Projects ship on time and make performance. CEO is martian smart.

Cons

Many find work/life balance challenging. Project cancellations in speculative areas. Spotty infrastructure. Difficult to get new features into GPUs. Time from idea to Best Buy is two years. Direct communication with CEO can be "intense". This is a common problem with semiconductor companies, but it takes a phenomenal amount of work to do the tiniest little thing. Offices crowded and decaying (cost cutting).

Do a better job at fewer things. Office space should be professional and adequate. Teams should sit together. Fund more employee activities.

Great company, very smart people

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at NVIDIA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The team I worked for had extremely smart people. About half of them had PhD. I was fortunate enough to get a very good manager. The engineers are not just stuck in the engineering bubble, they also care about the finances and how well the company is doing.

Cons

The implicit expectation is to work for long hours and my team would put out a huge number of products, therefore being able to spend less time with each product.

Good place to work

Current Employee - ASIC Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - ASIC Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lot of things to learn. Since it is a relatively small company, you have a lot more responsibilities.

Cons

Compensation revisions are not great. I think the management has to improve a little bit to retain the talent they have and reward them fairly. I dont think this is happening. Also there are hardly any events for employee satisfaction here.

Have more vent for employee satisfaction and also revise the focal system.