NWS

NWS Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Good

I have been working at NWS

ProsStable environment, don't have to worry about competing companies

ConsHard to get promotions the "good ol' boy" network is extremely prevalent throughout the government

Awesome job

Student Meteorologist (Former Employee)
Albany, NY

I worked at NWS as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat work environment and exciting work.

ConsShift work can be tough

bene

I have been working at NWS

Prosgreat benefits, time off gets better as time goes

Consnone yet that I have noticed

Left for work with purpose.

Meteorologist (Former Employee)

I worked at NWS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat government benefits, job security.
Organization is committed to develop leaders and is equipped to train subject experts better than anyone else.
"Flexible" and family friendly schedule in that you can do much more in the long run (if you plan ahead) when you are on rotating shifts than when you work 9-5 daily.

ConsRotating shiftwork is very physically demanding, and you have little left over for those you love.
The unwritten rules state you must come to work when sick, unless you are quite literally in the hospital. It's understandable since someone has to cover your (perhaps overnight) shift if you call in sick, but this still lends to an unhealthy working environment and poor personal health decisions.
Organization is so focused on self-preservation in a rapidly advancing market (IMO this is because of the uber-strong Union) that they have lost sight of any hope of remaining relevant.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink big picture when it comes to re-org considerations. When you kowtow to those who want to ensure their job never changes, they never have to move as the organization evolves, etc., you keep only the people who are concerned about their own comfort and lose those who are there because of their passion for the mission, their love of the science, and their desire to be intellectually stimulated.
The mission can be accomplished, perhaps even more effectively, by focusing operationally on what no one else can do instead of tirelessly generating products the public no longer wants and which are redundant with the private sector. I left because I felt like every forecaster in the NWS could wad up their daily work and throw it in the wastebin as they walked out the door each day, and no one outside the organization would notice.

OK Place to Work

Information Technology Officer (Current Employee)
Caribou, ME

ProsSmall office.
Left to own devices for most part.
Can make of the job what you want.

ConsPart of large government bureaucracy and concomitant stupidity.
No chance to make a major contribution -- just one drop in the ocean.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to say here. They are pretty much bound to a certain form and cannot be expected to do anything different.

Great place for a Meteorologist.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NWS

ProsExcellent government benefits as well as salary. People in the office were very friendly and helpful most of the time.

ConsHard to move around once in the NWS. They say to start wherever you can, and then move around...however, the competition is pretty high and most offices now hire from within their office. Rotating work schedule...but that is the nature of the job as weather never stops.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pick favorites

Highly paid idiots

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NWS full-time for more than 10 years

Proslots of perks (travel, bonuses)

ConsThis organization wastes resources on unnecessary personnel. The machines (satellites, radars, balloons) collect data. Distributing this data to the "market" (not NWS meteorologists) better serves the public and develops useful forecasts quicker.
Data distribution is the value of NWS not padding the payroll with personnel who invent projects to fill dead files. Relocate the meteorologists outside NWS to the community and employ the personnel in the technical fields to collect and distribute the data to the market (media, airports, marinas, industry).

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the meteorologist staff and increase the technical staff; distribute (market) the data to licensed clients (FAA, commercial media, private industry)

The NWS is a great place to work; but zero upward mobility and training.

ITO (Current Employee)

I have been working at NWS

ProsThe mission is worthwhile. It's very low stress.

ConsNo upward mobility or training.

Worked for NWS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NWS reviews and ratings. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by NWS employees.