NXTevent

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
3.7

Ally O’Connor

I learned a lot, but my coworkers were awful

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at NXTevent as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Attending the events is truly breathe taking, and being able to contribute to the final project is one of the best feelings in the world.

Cons

My coworkers were very gossipy and unprofessional. We used aim to communicate throughout the office, and they would spend their time talking about other employees and discussing how to waste the most amount of time.

Part-time worker for many years.

I have been working at NXTevent part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a small company, so everyone has a key part to keep the company running. There is always an opportunity for me to work, no matter what my situation is. There are incentives for promotions and also the employees and interns get to experience amazing venues.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover in the company, more due to the fact that people have trouble adjusting to the schedule and curve needed to be successful in a small DMC.

Work where you love to work!

Current Employee - Queen of A Lot in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Queen of A Lot in Boston, MA

I have been working at NXTevent (more than 5 years)

Pros

NXTevent has been a great place to be. I have been there for 10 years plus and I have enjoyed growing with the different stages of the business. I have seen it all, from the beginning to current day and the things that always impress me is the creative events, the consistency in execution of events and programs, the commitment by the ownership and the senior team. It’s not always the best place work, and it’s not for everyone, but I have had plenty of career opportunities, grown in my career and my compensation, and education / training. Plus I get to travel, go to exciting events and entertainment and I really like my co workers and I love my choices in the events industry.

Cons

It’s not for everyone. I see a lot of people come and go, because they don't have patience, and they aren’t willing to put into the learning curve. You have to be both independent and have the ability to work on a team. You have to think for yourself, have really good common sense and you will apprentice at this business, but apprenticing is cool, because you learn and do everything.

Great place to Intern if Your in the Event, Hospitality or Entertainment Industry!

Former Employee - Event Apprentice in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Event Apprentice in Boston, MA

I worked at NXTevent as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This was a great choice for my senior year internship. I learned a lot, and I worked with a fun team of coworkers, including other interns. My work including helping manage administration in the front office, researching information for proposals, annual marketing items, and on project events. I worked in the field from load in to load out and I was included in the master staffing plan. I learned a lot about what to expect in a work environment as well as from the job. It sems like the company is growing and I just learned they opened an office in Seattle.

Cons

I had a far way to travel and now I know I have to have a car. I wish I was compensated for travel expenses if I can't be compensated for the internship. But, I must say everyone was very helpful in getting me to and from where I needed to be.

Event Guru and Storyteller

Current Employee - Event Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Event Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at NXTevent as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been a contractor at NXTevent for a long time. I enjoy this company, the team and the leadership, who does a colossal job of winning business and making / keeping clients happy. Each year I spend with them, and it's been over a decade, I learn more and more. As well, I really enjoy the independence they allow me to craft the event story, for their clients. I work with a set of project management tools that I have helped develop and contributed to over the years, and I enjoy the quality of the work and the clients.

Cons

As a contractor, I have to balance my work load, and there are a lot of last minute programs that are pretty big, that come in under 30 days. It's tough to balance where I live with the travel and with the programs. But thats life in the 21st century.

It's a high stakes game. Hire people who understand the enormous responsibility we have in working with our clients. I feel that some of the people who come to NXTevent are not professionally mature, or have the I want it now mentality vs. the commitment it takes to become a master in a niche industry.

Sales and Account Executive

Current Employee - Sales and Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales and Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at NXTevent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at NXTevent for quite a long time and I find it generally to be a creative, exciting work environment. There is never a dull moment or same day. My position consists of working with incoming leads, as well as proposal writing, research and pricing. I handle all aspects of the account from the time it comes in to the time the final bill goes out. I am enjoying the work and now I am enjoying repeat clients! As well, my compensation has increased substantially after the first 8 months which was a learning curve and an investment on my part.

Cons

The biggest challenge I had coming in was the learning curve. Destination and Event Planning firms require a lot of knowledge and detail in the industry, above and beyond the experience I have in catering. I also expected long hours, weekend work, but I did not expect it to be in the months that I thought they would be. The business has peak periods from April through November, so you have to plan carefully.

Keep growing the company and offering career opportunities!

Jack of All Trades for 14+ years.

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at NXTevent part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at NXTevent since it opened in 2000. I enjoy my work and my contributions to the team and the work environment. I enjoy helping people with their needs, and the people I work with are very nice, and professional.

Cons

I work part time and I don’t have many issues, accept that it’s very busy, and the people who work there work long hours when their clients and events are in Boston.

Keep growing!

If you can, stay away from NXTevent

I worked at NXTevent full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros working here beside exploring beautiful venues and networking within the event industry.

Cons

1- Micro Micro Micro Managing. And by micro-managing I mean someone breathing on your neck ALL the time. Every morning there is a company check in in which every employer has to tell (and repeat since it is every morning) what he/she is working on. There is also a weekly company meeting and a weekly one-to-one. You keep repeating yourself like a robot. If you ask for some help back it will be denied.

2- They will tell you in the interview that you will receive plenty of training. Well that's not true, unless you count few hours in the conference room going through some Power Point slides about the company and the industry. Nobody is available if you need help and the management will tell you that you need to figure it out.

3- Even though I met some nice people in the company (few interns, the office manager, couple of colleagues) the core team is represented by the Owner, the GM and the Event Director. Everyone else come and go, nobody stays at NXTevent for more than a year, there is a huge turnover because after few months employees realize that the environment is truly toxic.

4- The owner will call you or text you on a Saturday or a Sunday regarding work. That's just unacceptable.

5- The salary is so low that is not even funny

You need to change so many things

Good exposure to industry resources contacts.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at NXTevent full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience with exposure to a wide variety of industry resources and high profile clients and events

Cons

High learning curve for new employees and work expectations overall are quite high.
    High amount of paperwork and data entry processing required for each event and on a daily basis

Turnover rate is high; long hours and hard work is required to be successful

Great place to start

I have been working at NXTevent

Pros

Small team, all hands on deck

Cons

Challenging to take time off, very long hours, low salary