NY SEFCU Reviews

Updated May 14, 2014
Updated May 14, 2014

3.7

Michael J. Castellana

One of the best places to work in the Capital Region.

Current Employee - Member Specialist  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Member Specialist in Albany, NY

I have been working at NY SEFCU full-time

Pros

Very organized organization that is committed to the community and member service. I love the service we offer members as well as the opportunity to help and make a difference in the community.

Cons

The opportunity to make more money is low.

More opportunities of employees to make more money

Great Company

Former Employee - Lead Service Professional  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Service Professional in Albany, NY

I worked at NY SEFCU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive Management Team
    Vast Opportunity
    Strong Community Involvement

This is a place where you have to thrive on taking accountability and ownership of your position. If you want to move up within the organization, you must know where you want to go, and be willing to accept the critique offered to you by your superiors. They provide a lot of incentives, and promote community involvement.

Cons

This was the best job I have had, there aren't any cons worth mentioning... It is a challenging, fun atmosphere

Fun, exciting, love my job!

Current Employee - Member Specialist  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Member Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at NY SEFCU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoy knowing the members, Sefcu prides itself on that! Members love that we want to know them. They pay well for banking!

Cons

It may sometimes be hard to deal with managers! They like to pass the buck instead of dealing with the issue.

Deal with issues at hand! When you don't you end up with a high turnover rate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people enjoyable environment

Current Employee - Member Specialist  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Member Specialist in Albany, NY

I have been working at NY SEFCU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment, coworkers always full of energy, management is always encouraging growth and are very helpful. Sefcu goes that extra step to have a truly magical effect on the comunity with their donation of time and money.

Cons

Scheduling? Needs some improvement..

Overall, a good company

I have been working at NY SEFCU full-time

Pros

Free soup and salad bar for lunches, exercise and a very nice track for walking or running.

Cons

Some jobs are filled without our knowledge and management does not visit certain front line areas. When y
    Ou ask something about your experience and promotions, you get a deer in the headlights look, as Floor 1-2 managers do not have authoritity regarding advancement...very little vertical movement of qualified staff.

Being the biggest is not the best....

awesome

I have been working at NY SEFCU for less than a year

Pros

so great I should pay them

Cons

I actually have to work...ugh...

retire

Great corporate culture. A company that encourages innovation.

Current Employee - Service Professional  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Service Professional in Albany, NY

I have been working at NY SEFCU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SEFCU is a great company with a strong-minded and innovative leader. SEFCU encourages innovation and creativity while trying to find your best-fitting career path.

Cons

While you can express creativity and professional freedom, the advancement opportunities are slow paced, in nature. You must prove you are ready to move and your management will provide the tools necessary.

Keep being honest. Trusting your employees with their flaws and helping to build them up ensures your continued success.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at NY SEFCU full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Being passionate about your job is in the blood of all our employees. If you are a part of SEFCU, it becomes a part of you. Some people can't handle the community support and generosity of spirit that being SEFCU means.

Cons

Yes the compensation is nice, but SEFCU lets your voice be heard and utilizes your input to impact policy. Your career is in your hands more than any other company I have worked for. They are honest about areas that need to be improved, and give you plenty of tools and support.

Forward thinking, fast paced, innovative company that puts employees and common sense first.

Awesome Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at NY SEFCU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I don't know what most of these people on here are talking about. I've been at SEFCU for several years and each year it gets better. I've never worked for a company that puts so much effort into the employee experience. No place is perfect, but this is a great company to work for. They have great benefits, great pay, fun summer picnic you can bring your whole family to and an awesome holiday party. The CEO has monthly meetings with non-managerial staff and wants staff feedback. We also have opportunities to donate time and talent to our communities.

Cons

SEFCU is an ambitious company and wants to do many things, sometimes it's hard if not impossible to do it all. Having said that, many of the cons listed by others on this website indicate to me that SEFCU isn't a great fit for them. My advice to them, if you haven't already then leave! Bring your negative energy somewhere else!

I think senior management is doing a great job.

Kind of cultish, departments are very territorial

I have been working at NY SEFCU

Pros

The pay is better than most in the industry. If you keep your head down and don't make waves you can advance equal to your degree.

Cons

As others have commented, there is a lot of favoritism at this company. Management is mostly inept and advances based on similar attributes. They give the impression that you are part of the decision process, but basically ignore your ideas. They put too big an emphasis on higher education and not experience. Slow to change and realize past decisions are failing. The company is tied to third party vendors so much that they don't control their infrastructure and therefore cannot make changes fast enough to keep up with competitors. The CEO uses the CU's foundation to advance his political aspirations.

Cut middle management. Give more decision making to those closer to members. Increase salaries to attract better talent.

Worked for NY SEFCU? Contribute to the Community!