NY1 News Reviews

Updated June 4, 2014
Updated June 4, 2014

3.7

CEO

a great place to learn the business

I have been working at NY1 News

Pros

NY1 gives you a lot of opportunities early in your career, this experience would be very hard to get at other stations. The benefits are great and there is a good work life balance

Cons

The pay is very low even by industry standards, and it is very hard to move up to a position with a living wage for New York City

Led on and left hanging

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at NY1 News full-time

Pros

Great benefits package, nice holiday bonus, good retirement plan options, and ample vacation/personal time.

Cons

There is a lot of promise for advancement, but very little follow-through. Too often people were hired from outside the company when perfectly qualified and loyal employees wanted to be promoted.

They Talk a Good Game, But...

I worked at NY1 News

Pros

If you love TV news, you'll be working in TV news.
    The people working at similar pay grades seem to be nice to each other.
    If you stand in the right spot, you can see the newsroom, reporter desks, the assignment desk, the control room door, edit bays, management offices, the hall to the break room and the hall to the employee lockers. It's all gorgeous. I loved walking into the place.

Cons

Right after you walk in, the misery starts. You'll probably be told early on that everyone is helpful and approachable. Unfortunately, it's quite the opposite. Almost all your superiors, all the way up to the news director seem miserable and/or make you feel ashamed that you're asking questions. It's oppressive.
    The company is making improvements to the newsroom computer system, but some of the features you need don't work. Be aggressive and inquire about workarounds to anything that's broken or seems overly inefficient.
    Advancement is difficult and you might suddenly be scheduled overnights with little or no warning.
    I found out after I started that they hire a number of freelancers who get no benefits and are only allowed 1,000 hours. At least it's legal and an easy way to weed out the undesirables while keeping costs down.

No matter how fantastically long you've been with the company, this is still local news, and if feels like it. Your inflated sense of self worth can be a hindrance to newsroom operations. Please get a perspective on where you are and show a little humility. This advice is also directed at reporters and anchors.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good look inside the news business

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at NY1 News as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was an intern. You get a lot of hands-on experience and all of the field reporters I worked with were more than willing to teach you on-site.

Cons

Un-paid. A few of the anchors can be a bit snooty. A lot of the veteran employees seem complacent and set in their ways.

It's a solid program, well worth the time.

I love it here

I have been working at NY1 News

Pros

The people are nice. The amenities are excellent. The office is in a great building. There's really nothing bad about working here.

Cons

There are no cons. It's really a great environment to work in and the people are awesome.

No pressure, co-worker are user friendly

Current Employee - Producer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at NY1 News full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No pressure, easy job. No manager stress you out

Cons

salary is kind of below market average

Great place to intern for real-world experience

Former Employee - Editing Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at NY1 News as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You're treated like a regular employee and have the same responsibility

Cons

It's not a paid internship

Intern

I worked at NY1 News

Pros

It is a good place to start, and you will learn how to deal with this industry.

Cons

Where do I began. They are not intern friendly in every department. It's luck of the draw at this place. I was put in a department with nasty, disgruntle, people. I was constantly beat down by the folks who work there. I was very depressed.

Better communication, and evaluate your staffers attitude. How can someone develope when personality plays a majpor role in the mentorship?

Crazy schedule for freelancers

Current Employee - Freelance Writer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at NY1 News part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to begin a tv news career, you come out with lots of experience handling breaking news situations, live hits, and writing scripts on basically any topic.

Cons

The schedule is insane. It's not unusual for freelancers to be scheduled from 3:30-11:30pm and the be expected to be back at work for the 12-8 shift the next day The schedule also comes out pretty late in the week, so it's impossible to make long-term plans.

It's not unusual for freelancers to work 1 day one week and then 6 days in a row the next.

Also, freelancers can work only 1000 hours, which can really fly by. Plus, there's generally low turnover and tons of freelancers are vying for the open positions, so moving up is difficult. (Plus, they only really give feedback to freelancers they really like and want to hire, its not unusual for NY1 to treat the other freelancers as disposable.)

Please put out the schedule more than 1 week in advance.
    -Give ALL of the freelancers more feedback.

Hard Work, Big Gain

Former Employee - General News and Living Unit Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - General News and Living Unit Intern in New York, NY

I worked at NY1 News as an intern for less than a year

Pros

If you work hard, you will be rewarded. Plenty of opportunity to advance your skills. It's a great environment to be, plenty of people want to see you succeed so it's a very warm community.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a little slow in the newsroom but sometimes that's a good thing. Not every day can be a breaking news day!

Worked for NY1 News? Contribute to the Community!