NY1 News

NY1 News Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

a great place to learn the business

ProsNY1 gives you a lot of opportunities early in your career, this experience would be very hard to get at other stations. The benefits are great and there is a good work life balance

ConsThe pay is very low even by industry standards, and it is very hard to move up to a position with a living wage for New York City

Led on and left hanging

New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits package, nice holiday bonus, good retirement plan options, and ample vacation/personal time.

ConsThere is a lot of promise for advancement, but very little follow-through. Too often people were hired from outside the company when perfectly qualified and loyal employees wanted to be promoted.

They Talk a Good Game, But...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you love TV news, you'll be working in TV news.
    The people working at similar pay grades seem to be nice to each other.
    If you stand in the right spot, you can see the newsroom, reporter desks, the assignment desk, the control room door, edit bays, management offices, the hall to the break room and the hall to the employee lockers. It's all gorgeous. I loved walking into the place.

ConsRight after you walk in, the misery starts. You'll probably be told early on that everyone is helpful and approachable. Unfortunately, it's quite the opposite. Almost all your superiors, all the way up to the news director seem miserable and/or make you feel ashamed that you're asking questions. It's oppressive.
    The company is making improvements to the newsroom computer system, but some of the features you need don't work. Be aggressive and inquire about workarounds to anything that's broken or seems overly inefficient.
    Advancement is difficult and you might suddenly be scheduled overnights with little or no warning.
    I found out after I started that they hire a number of freelancers who get no benefits and are only allowed 1,000 hours. At least it's legal and an easy way to weed out the undesirables while keeping costs down.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo matter how fantastically long you've been with the company, this is still local news, and if feels like it. Your inflated sense of self worth can be a hindrance to newsroom operations. Please get a perspective on where you are and show a little humility. This advice is also directed at reporters and anchors.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good look inside the news business

Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI was an intern. You get a lot of hands-on experience and all of the field reporters I worked with were more than willing to teach you on-site.

ConsUn-paid. A few of the anchors can be a bit snooty. A lot of the veteran employees seem complacent and set in their ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a solid program, well worth the time.

I love it here

ProsThe people are nice. The amenities are excellent. The office is in a great building. There's really nothing bad about working here.

ConsThere are no cons. It's really a great environment to work in and the people are awesome.

No pressure, co-worker are user friendly

Producer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsNo pressure, easy job. No manager stress you out

Conssalary is kind of below market average

Great place to intern for real-world experience

Editing Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou're treated like a regular employee and have the same responsibility

ConsIt's not a paid internship

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a good place to start, and you will learn how to deal with this industry.

ConsWhere do I began. They are not intern friendly in every department. It's luck of the draw at this place. I was put in a department with nasty, disgruntle, people. I was constantly beat down by the folks who work there. I was very depressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication, and evaluate your staffers attitude. How can someone develope when personality plays a majpor role in the mentorship?

Crazy schedule for freelancers

Freelance Writer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat place to begin a tv news career, you come out with lots of experience handling breaking news situations, live hits, and writing scripts on basically any topic.

ConsThe schedule is insane. It's not unusual for freelancers to be scheduled from 3:30-11:30pm and the be expected to be back at work for the 12-8 shift the next day The schedule also comes out pretty late in the week, so it's impossible to make long-term plans.

It's not unusual for freelancers to work 1 day one week and then 6 days in a row the next.

Also, freelancers can work only 1000 hours, which can really fly by. Plus, there's generally low turnover and tons of freelancers are vying for the open positions, so moving up is difficult. (Plus, they only really give feedback to freelancers they really like and want to hire, its not unusual for NY1 to treat the other freelancers as disposable.)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease put out the schedule more than 1 week in advance.
    -Give ALL of the freelancers more feedback.

Hard Work, Big Gain

General News and Living Unit Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIf you work hard, you will be rewarded. Plenty of opportunity to advance your skills. It's a great environment to be, plenty of people want to see you succeed so it's a very warm community.

ConsSometimes it can be a little slow in the newsroom but sometimes that's a good thing. Not every day can be a breaking news day!

Worked for NY1 News? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NY1 News reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by NY1 News employees.