NYC HHC Reviews

NYC HHC President and CEO Alan D. Aviles
Alan D. Aviles

anonymous

I have been working at NYC HHC full-time

Pros

good benefits working for NYC HHC.Stable employment

Cons

Management. Tuition reimbursement. Lower Pay

Office Assistant

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at NYC HHC as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Overall it seemed like a great place to work. Quite a few of the employees have been working there for over 10 years and seem to enjoy being there. I loved how we were busy from beginning to end of the day. There was the possibility to learn new procedures as time went on. There were set break times that most employees followed.

Cons

I wasn't an employee long enough to find a con regarding the position.

Great supervisor made the experience valuable and worthwhile.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Elmhurst, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Elmhurst, NY

I worked at NYC HHC as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Direct supervisor was professional and exposed me to a lot of projects. Clinicians and staff are close and friendly, allowing for a collaborative workplace.

Cons

Government bureaucracy made for a slower process.

Senior leadership should be more aggressive and not overwork/take advantage of middle management. Personal growth is somewhat limited.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn, have chance to contribute new ideas within safety net hospital environment

Former Employee - Associate Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I worked at NYC HHC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Exposure to challenges, great place to gain experience and contribute new ideas. I akin it to a medical resident wanting to working at a trauma-one facility, you will be exposed to so much and actually have a chance to contribute directly. My experience base gained from 10+ years has been wonderful - I so am glad I worked for NYC-HHC. Would love to work there again.

Cons

Typical safety-net/municipal bureaucracy/red-tape issues when it comes to labor relations and operational changes. Its like turning a oil-tanker at full speed, it will eventually turn, just takes longer.

Help break down barriers, so that staff can get the job done. Create greater sense of responsibility/accountability with the medical affiliation(s).

If you get shot go other than that everything that is wrong with health care

Former Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at NYC HHC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

So much mismanagement you can do what ever you want, for the greater good or for personal gain

Cons

incompetency at all levels of management, political appointments based on who you know. Managers are are moved around when they show that they can not do the job.

Stop losing 200 million dollars a year with stupid projects. Break up the networks and let the hospitals compete and grow their customer base. Decentralize, decentralize and decentralize some more. The central office management will never succeed they just want to keep their high paying job. They never leave because no one will hire them because no project is ever completed and everything is over budget.

Corporate Culture is the Weakest Link

Former Employee - Associate Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I worked at NYC HHC full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are handfuls of quality managers and individuals who are truly skilled and passionate about the public health mission of the organization. The pay scale is somehwat higher than it is for other city agencies, although below market rate for most porfessional titles. A lot of the benefits are on par with city employment, including vacation and sick pay, although the benefits related to pensions and health care have been curtailed due to the 'fiscal climate' of the past few years. Union jobs are stable, but non-union employment is not.

Cons

Not the best in terms of corporate culture. The organization is extremily bureaucratic and siloed, and fifedoms and thier associated pettiness proliferate, resulting in low employee morale, impeded productivity and high turnover in some areas. How you are treated and your advancement opportunities can be a total crapshoot based on your manager. Human Resources is not empowered and often performs little more than a clerical support role.

The overall corporate culture is the biggest drawback.

good opportunity - stable employment

I have been working at NYC HHC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Like any NYC job you will get a pension and health benefits on retirement if you hang around long enough. Most employees are friendly and accommodating. Plenty of room for career growth.

Cons

There is a tendency by management to hire subpar department directors. The directors should know more than the direct reports about the department's line of business.

not the worst place to work, but city governance ties hands, leaving you feeling frustrated

I have been working at NYC HHC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people who work here are very nice. Some of the best coworkers I've had - down to earth and real

Cons

Management is not the best, and not the nicest - neg=office politics, ignorant top-down management, and uptight managers.

increase office morale - better pay, better options for work, more respect for teams. etc.

CORROSIVE Health Care System

I worked at NYC HHC full-time

Pros

Passionate Providers, Nurses, and supportive professional staff

Cons

Corrosive leadership, disconnected board, and city politics tied into making money for the top, grandfathered, unskilled lifers. Administrators have great offices and catered food, when patients do not have enough clean seats in the waiting area.

Be transparent! Proper training and a more resourceful environment for the entire treatment team is critical.

good workplace

I have been working at NYC HHC full-time

Pros

friendly staff and nurses who really care

Cons

more opportunities for raises and bonuses

Worked for NYC HHC? Contribute to the Community!