NYK Line

www.nyk.com

NYK Line Reviews

Updated May 29, 2014
NYK Line – India – “at work”

NYK Line – India – “at work”

NYK Line President and Corporate Officer Yasumi Kudo

Yasumi Kudo

Good company that cares about employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCared about the employees. Made sure people were taken care of, even in circumstances where offices closed or moved.

ConsTechnology change is difficult for management to tackle.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet current with software before the panic happens

Great Benefits and generous Salaries

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery Respectable management with generous benefits. Contractors are treated with same respect as employees.

ConsUsual politics to get approval for new projects for upgrades.

SA job review

Systems Administrator (Consultant) (Current Employee) Secaucus, NJ

ProsLots of things to learn and grow and lots of testing grounds for implementing new servers .

ConsNeed more planning in some of the technical implementations to reduce last minute workload .

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of communication gap in inter team Project Managers leading to more work in the teams .

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NYK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsContractors paid by the hour, for every hour
    Some really nice people

ConsSome really nasty people/cliques
    Expect to be woken up at crazy hours
    Ridiculous processes stop you from getting anything done
    "Hidden" political agendas all over (actually, really obvious known "secrets" that everyone has to pretend they don't know).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the process madness
    Treat your workers with respect
    More transparency

No where to go but out

Consultant (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ

ProsWork with smart people who are globally oriented

ConsLittle room for advancement or cross functional learning

Advice to Senior ManagementStop laying off managers a few years before retirement; that's shady

Ecommerce Business Anlayst

Ecommerce Business Analyst (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ

ProsLots of contractors and good pay.

ConsHorrible Managers and lack of professionalism
    Tons of Politics for career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional and listen to your employees before reacting.

Oudated and ineffective management techniques and principles, along with disregard for work life balance.

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWorked with an immediate team that had the skills and desire to do a good job, and my immediate manager allowed me to propose and run with a few projects that helped increase my skillset.

My immediate team was made up of rock stars, technically and interpersonally.

ConsInnovation and creativity are pretty much killed outright, without a chance to present. Egos and saving face regularly drives away opportunity to improve the company and environment. Little projects that are not visible up or out are the only proactive and interesting projects you will be allowed.... otherwise sustainment of status quo and preserving the illusion that all is well is the order of the day.

Outside of my immediate team the rest of the division and other verticals were ruthlessly cutthroat - being thrown under the bus by other managers or teams, and an expectation of taking all responsibility by one member is to be assumed.

The skeleton crew mentality of "do more with less" pushed down from above means that you are married to the company, especially for those on call. On call should be spread out over teams, especially as the company follows the sun.... while on call you will be working all night on incidents, sometimes for more than half the nights you are on call, yet still be expected to be in the incident meeting the following morning at 9am.

The in house revenue driving application is terrible, and creates issues regularly (it's the primary driver on why on call is so miserable) -- it should be abandoned but isn't. yet another example of a bad decision that management refuses to lose face in to find a better solution -- to the detriment of the company and workers.

They pay salaried employees by job market value of title, not what job responsibilities are and the responsibilities are WAY higher than title would indicate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the out-of-date Japanese management model, at least in the US. It's not working, and only substandard employees will put up with it.

Learn to defer to the subject matter experts. You can't know everything, let the experts do their jobs and support them as opposed to trying to appear all-knowing by tearing them down.

Realize that the best employees have rich and meaningful lives away from the office, which makes them valuable while in the office. We'll do a much better job for you if we aren't expected to regularly live on 4 hours or less of sleep, and expected to give up one weekend in three.

very positive place to work

Project Manager Pegasus (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ

Prosfriendly smarket coworkers as well as commitment to growth and employee education. Important for organization to promote and groom from within.

ConsMarket turmoil has led to layoffs which has hurt morale. Company working hard to share vision with staff so as to foster commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communication vision and strategy with staff so as to boost morale and productivity. Maintin commitment to technology as a way to beat competition.

NYK Services is a very mismanaged financial shared service.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cordova, TN

ProsNYK Services has potential to be a great place to work but it has to treat it's employees better to get there.

ConsNYK Services is a sweat shop. They preach integrity but when you question mgmt on issues they threaten to fire you.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive your values, especially the one about "integrity".

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSalary employees are paid for all billable hours and benefits and retirement was like no other place that I have worked.

ConsExecutive management made some very, very poor decision on a couple of projects over the years. The most recent decisions coupled with the poor economy and loss of business caused our operations center to be moved offshore and managed by a third party.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to you workers and middle management, drop the whole save face honor thing, listen to outside analyst suggestions, move faster on trends.

Worked for NYK Line? Contribute to the Community!